INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: RiverMote - iPhone/iPod Touch Client for JRiver Media Center  (Read 45919 times)

zxsix

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: RiverMote - iPhone/iPod Touch Client for JRiver Media Center
« Reply #50 on: June 08, 2009, 08:36:34 am »

Yes.  Tap on the stars to rate the track.

MrHaugen

« Reply #51 on: June 09, 2009, 04:00:06 am »

Sweet. I'll have to bite the dust and get a iPhone then. I guess there's no way I can rate my own rating fields though. Just have to live with that until J River implements half star rating.
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

zxsix

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #52 on: June 09, 2009, 07:49:39 pm »

Sweet. I'll have to bite the dust and get a iPhone then. I guess there's no way I can rate my own rating fields though. Just have to live with that until J River implements half star rating.

You probably know by reading this forum that MC will not sync music, etc. to the iphone.
Those of use that have them are syncing to a fictitious handheld folder and then using itunes to sync that folder to the iphone.
Just wanted to make sure you're aware of that before you purchase the iphone.
Also, the new iphone model comes out next week.  Supposedly better battery life, faster processor, and a video camera.
Make sure you get the 3GS instead of the 3G model unless they make it worth your while $$ wise to get the 3G.

MrHaugen

« Reply #53 on: June 10, 2009, 01:50:27 am »

Yea, I know. Have also seen that there are one or two apps that can sync more or less directly with the iPhones through iTunes. So, it will probably do for now. Even if it's not that great, the phone and remote part seams so good that I would be happy to use it for that. Got a Shuffle if the music sync is troublesome on the iPhone.

Deivit

• I find your interest interesting...
« Reply #54 on: June 10, 2009, 07:28:19 am »

Those of use that have them are syncing to a fictitious handheld folder and then using itunes to sync that folder to the iphone.

Slightly out of topic... A question on that procedure, if I may...  Is the "last played" date of a song listened in the iphone sync'ed back correctly to MC or is that information lost?

Thank you.

zxsix

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #55 on: June 10, 2009, 03:36:55 pm »

It's a 1-way street.  MC syncs to a handheld folder, which in my case is the library source folder of itunes.  Itunes syncs those songs to the iphone.
Iphone syncs back to itunes and would update the last played and last skipped info to itunes, but then that never comes back to MC.  It ends there.

Deivit

• I find your interest interesting...
« Reply #56 on: June 11, 2009, 01:36:47 am »

I see. Thanks for the info, zxsix.

tdipower

• Recent member
« Reply #57 on: July 16, 2009, 05:02:35 am »

I love this app! When I have a party, everyone is asking how I change tracks and so on.
The only 2 issues I have is this:

1. The volume button.. it lag's. sometimes I can "hammer" on it and it will not move. If I try 2 minutes later it moves easy... don't know why, but it felles like a bug.

2. What's even worse... the program drain my battery! FAST! I have the 1.gen and if I have a fully charged phone i can surfe the web and watch movies for hours. The battery is realy good on it. Last time I used the rivermote my phone was charged 100%, and in a couple of hours almost empty! Is there anyway of adjusting the frequency of the polls over wifi or some other thing. It would be nice with a powersavermode. Most of the time I do not need to see the seconds move, I don't need to have it up to date all the time. It would for most of the times be good enough to have just a change of cover and track info and then skip and pause/play to work. also a dimming feature so the screen don't have to be at 100% all the time. This would surly save power. THINK GREEN!!  ;D

Don't know if this is possible, but it sure would be nice. having a "wired wireless remote" is a bit dull.  :P

keep up the good work!

Melloware

• World Citizen
« Reply #58 on: July 16, 2009, 06:11:02 am »

I love this app! When I have a party, everyone is asking how I change tracks and so on.

Thanks for the props!

1. The volume button.. it lag's. sometimes I can "hammer" on it and it will not move. If I try 2 minutes later it moves easy... don't know why, but it felles like a bug.

I have not experienced this and no one else using Rivermote has reported this yet.  Weird.

2. What's even worse... the program drain my battery! FAST! I have the 1.gen and if I have a fully charged phone i can surfe the web and watch movies for hours. The battery is realy good on it. Last time I used the rivermote my phone was charged 100%, and in a couple of hours almost empty! Is there anyway of adjusting the frequency of the polls over wifi or some other thing. It would be nice with a powersavermode. Most of the time I do not need to see the seconds move, I don't need to have it up to date all the time. It would for most of the times be good enough to have just a change of cover and track info and then skip and pause/play to work. also a dimming feature so the screen don't have to be at 100% all the time. This would surly save power. THINK GREEN!!  ;D

Already ahead of you... Are you using RiverMote 1.4?  It has a setting called Proximity Detector Enabled.  IF you turn it ON then if you put your finger over the earpiece or turn the phone face down the screen goes black just like it does when you answer a call but the app is still running.  It helps save battery life.
========================
Melloware Inc.
Take Back Control of your PC!
http://www.melloware.com
info@melloware.com
========================

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #59 on: August 05, 2009, 12:49:17 pm »

My main use of MC and now Rivermote is for video.

Some of my smartlists are showing up with just a date rather than their name. Is this normal?

I only figured out my movies smartlist from the number of 'songs' in it.

Is there a way for Rivermote to distinguish between items, such as audio, video and image files? Or just use the generic "items"?

Is it possible to stop Rivermote from starting play of a smartlist when it's selected? I want to select a track/video from within the list.

Thanks for developing the app.

Melloware

• World Citizen
« Reply #60 on: August 05, 2009, 01:16:08 pm »

Hey fitbrit,

Do you mind posting this on our RiverMote forums?  hate to make you create another account but it keeps these off the MC forums and onto the Rivermote forums.

http://forum.melloware.com/viewforum.php?f=11

I can address them there.
========================
Melloware Inc.
info@melloware.com
========================

Melloware

• World Citizen
« Reply #61 on: August 25, 2009, 06:01:36 am »

A bunch of important bug fixes have been made to the Rivermote Server EXE.  Please download if you are a Rivermote user...

http://melloware.com/download/
========================
Melloware Inc.
info@melloware.com
========================

Bjorn

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #62 on: September 25, 2009, 04:02:46 pm »

I bought an Ipod Touch a few days ago and was hoping to browse artist/album in MC like iTunes. Like others, I found out that RiverMote is limited to smaller playlists after buying and trying. Of course I should have read the material properly before buying...
I understand the reason for this though, but it would sure be nice if it was resolved in some way. Controlling MC just like one controles iTunes with Ipod/Iphone would be awesome. If it's not possible in any way without crashing the Ipod, perhaps one should try to get someone else to make a MP3 player that's suited for Melloware and MC?

Your website says the playlist can contain 1000 songs, but I'm seeing a limit of 500. Why?

It would also be nice to have a volume control that was increased and decreased by smaller steps. With my Lynx card it seems to go up/down by 6 or 7 db. That's too much in my opinion.

Melloware

• World Citizen
« Reply #63 on: September 25, 2009, 04:31:43 pm »

You can increase the song count if you right click the RiverMote tray icon and bump the number.  500 is the default.

The volume issue is all controlled through the MC API so unless there is some way to tweak the volume steps there I don't know how to solve that one?
========================
Melloware Inc.
info@melloware.com
========================

Bjorn

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #64 on: September 26, 2009, 03:19:37 am »

You can increase the song count if you right click the RiverMote tray icon and bump the number.  500 is the default.

The volume issue is all controlled through the MC API so unless there is some way to tweak the volume steps there I don't know how to solve that one?

I assume you mean the RiverMote tray icon that's installed on the computer. I couldn't find a way to bumb it up by using the right mouse click.

The volume issue doesn't seem to be only related to MC. I also have a Logitech Harmony remote and a cordless Logitech dinovo Edge keybard that can control the volume. With Harmony (using Intellliremote) I'm getting steps by 9-10 dB. With the keyboard I'm getting steps by 2-3 dB. So it differs from device I'm using.

Melloware

• World Citizen
« Reply #65 on: September 26, 2009, 07:40:25 am »

I assume you mean the RiverMote tray icon that's installed on the computer. I couldn't find a way to bumb it up by using the right mouse click.

When you run Rivermote you will see a little RED tray icon.  When you connect from your iPhone the iCon turns Blue.  When you disconnect it turns red again.  Right click that Icon in the tray and choose "Settings...".

Thye volume issue doesn't seem to be only related to MC. I also have a Logitech Harmony remote and a cordless Logitech dinovo Edge keybard that can control the volume. With Harmony (using Intellliremote) I'm getting steps by 9-10 dB. With the keyboard I'm getting steps by 2-3 dB. So it differs from device I'm using.

Now that is interesting, 3 different apps bumping your volume 3 different increments?  Intelliremote simply sends the Volume UP and Volume Down MS API commands that is supposed to bump the sound 1 notch or down 1 notch.  If you bring up the Volume Control for Windows in the tray and then use Intelliremote you should see it only go up or down 1 notch.   I think what is happening is that is controlling Windows Master Volume but if you go into Control Panel-> Sound And Audio Devices you will see it lists different inputs and applications and their own custom sound level.  So if you have MC set really low then 1 bump in Windows Master Volume is going to sound like 9-10DB in MC.  Since Vista each audio input is independently controlled.
========================
Melloware Inc.
info@melloware.com
========================

Melloware

• World Citizen
« Reply #66 on: October 18, 2009, 09:28:42 am »

River 1.6 has been released to the AppStore.

1.6 Release Notes
------------------------------------------------------
- UIRequiresPersistentWIFI flag so your WIFI radio does not automatically turn off after 30 minutes even if you are using it.
- Using new Apple Reachability API the app reliably waits until you have a WIFI connection before trying to reconnect after sleep
========================
Melloware Inc.
info@melloware.com
========================

HiFiTubes

« Reply #67 on: October 19, 2009, 12:47:55 pm »

Saw this a few days ago. Thanks!

I have used XPtunes in the past and though I can't browse my entire library, the GUI in this is much more refined and reliable imo.

Osho

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #68 on: November 11, 2009, 02:36:04 am »

Any chance this will be available on Android Market?

Thanks,
Osho

Melloware

• World Citizen
« Reply #69 on: November 11, 2009, 05:38:57 am »

Any chance this will be available on Android Market?

Thanks,
Osho

Osho, I have been doing some prototyping to see if I can get something similar ported to Android.   It is going slowly!
========================
Melloware Inc.
info@melloware.com
========================

MrHaugen

« Reply #70 on: November 11, 2009, 12:31:27 pm »

I hope it's getting there one day. I ended up buying a HTC Hero instead of a iPhone. Boy am I glad I did that. Android is just going to keep on growing in popularity. People are getting tired to the locked down iPhone it seems :)

burre

• Recent member
« Reply #71 on: November 22, 2009, 05:10:00 am »

Hi, just wanted to say thanks for this app, I think its just brilliant!! especially love the new function of proximity detection.

I have 1 "nice to have" suggestion. Album art is best in vertical view, but the rating stars is in horisontal only. Would it at all be possible to have the stars input as a "visible on tap" in the lower edge on top of the abum art in vertical view?

Oh, and you mentioned 1.6 was out, but in the info it says its 1.5, and I find no updates in app store...?

Melloware

• World Citizen
« Reply #72 on: November 22, 2009, 07:07:35 am »

Hi, just wanted to say thanks for this app, I think its just brilliant!! especially love the new function of proximity detection.

Thanks!

I have 1 "nice to have" suggestion. Album art is best in vertical view, but the rating stars is in horisontal only. Would it at all be possible to have the stars input as a "visible on tap" in the lower edge on top of the album art in vertical view?

Let me see what I can do...the Portrait screen is pretty crowded right now.

Oh, and you mentioned 1.6 was out, but in the info it says its 1.5, and I find no updates in app store...?

1.6 is definitely out but it is for OS 3.1 or higher so my guess is you have not upgraded to the latest OS firmware?
========================
Melloware Inc.
info@melloware.com
========================

HiFiTubes

« Reply #73 on: November 25, 2009, 12:51:55 pm »

I have suggested the same thing about ratings in Portrait mode. What about a star that is a collapsible/expandable menu that expands when pressed and shows all 5 stars?

ninekit

• Recent member
« Reply #74 on: December 12, 2009, 10:42:14 am »

I am more a whole album man than playlist man and am now feeling disappointed and sorry about purchased Rivermote before finding out there is no library browsing function.

May I ask if there is any refund policy for this purchase over the Apple app store?

Or, better, will library browsing by album / artist be available soon?

Regards,
ninekit

Melloware

• World Citizen
« Reply #75 on: December 12, 2009, 10:45:25 am »

I am more a whole album man than playlist man and am now feeling disappointed and sorry about purchased Rivermote before finding out there is no library browsing function.

May I ask if there is any refund policy for this purchase over the Apple app store?

Regards,
ninekit

Unfortunately due to the lack of database querying functionality in the JRiver API's Artist and Album browsing is not really possible.  It is a limitation of the API.
As for a rebate you must contact Apple only, Apple does not give me any information on users or who purchased my app.  All refunds go through them.
========================
Melloware Inc.
info@melloware.com
========================

ninekit

• Recent member
« Reply #76 on: December 17, 2009, 09:20:59 pm »

Little joy after contacting Apple via the iTunes interface.  :-\

Melloware

• World Citizen
« Reply #77 on: December 17, 2009, 09:45:23 pm »

Little joy after contacting Apple via the iTunes interface.  :-\

I wish I could help. Unfortunately "Big Brother" Apple is your only recourse.  They give me no records of purchasers and no way to offer refunds.  They take the entire user -> developer communication out of the equation.  They control the entire transaction 100%.  And they rule with an iron fist...
========================
Melloware Inc.
info@melloware.com
========================

neovibe

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #78 on: December 18, 2009, 01:47:55 pm »

Did I understand correctly that it is not possible to search for an album and play it?

What does 'no library browsing' mean? does ir mean I can only use playlists and not actually browse? please help me understand... thanks

Regards,
ninekit

Melloware

• World Citizen
« Reply #79 on: December 18, 2009, 01:52:07 pm »

Did I understand correctly that it is not possible to search for an album and play it?

What does 'no library browsing' mean? does ir mean I can only use playlists and not actually browse? please help me understand... thanks

That is correct.  You can control your 'Now Playing' playlist and you can load new playlists into the Now Playing window but you cannot currently just browse for an album and start to play it.  
========================
Melloware Inc.
info@melloware.com
========================

neovibe

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #80 on: December 18, 2009, 02:03:42 pm »

That is correct.  You can control your 'Now Playing' playlist and you can load new playlists into the Now Playing window but you cannot currently just browse for an album and start to play it.  

But can I add to the 'now playing' playlist a specific song from my library (that I searched by name/artist/album for example)

OR

is it that the only possible way to play anything is through pre defined playlists ?

thanks again!

Melloware

• World Citizen
« Reply #81 on: December 18, 2009, 02:06:10 pm »

But can I add to the 'now playing' playlist a specific song from my library (that I searched by name/artist/album for example)

NOPE!  There is no searching or browsing or anything and no way to add to the current playlist.

is it that the only possible way to play anything is through pre defined playlists ?

YES! you can only select another predefined playlist from the server and load it into the Now Playing.

========================
Melloware Inc.
info@melloware.com
========================

neovibe

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #82 on: December 18, 2009, 02:28:46 pm »

clarified, thank you!

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #83 on: December 18, 2009, 02:39:36 pm »

There is no searching or browsing or anything and no way to add to the current playlist.
I don't think you're right about this.  You should be able to search for content and add it to playing now. 

You could send matt at jriver an e-mail with details of what you're doing and what you want to do.

Melloware

• World Citizen
« Reply #84 on: December 18, 2009, 03:24:40 pm »

I don't think you're right about this.  You should be able to search for content and add it to playing now. 

You could send matt at jriver an e-mail with details of what you're doing and what you want to do.

OK will do. I have scoured the API documentation on the Wiki and found nothing.  Maybe it is undocumented.  I will email matt.
========================
Melloware Inc.
info@melloware.com
========================

Melloware

• World Citizen
« Reply #85 on: December 19, 2009, 01:08:29 pm »

Just an update for those who have been following this thread.  After conversing with Matt from JRiver he confirmed the API does not have the functionality that I need to accomplish my goals.
========================
Melloware Inc.
info@melloware.com
========================

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #86 on: December 19, 2009, 02:16:09 pm »

Not without some work on your part, I believe.

Melloware

• World Citizen
« Reply #87 on: December 19, 2009, 02:31:23 pm »

Not without some work on your part, I believe.

Unless I am taking what Matt said the wrong way, here was his exact quote:

"The library grouping system (view schemes) to produce lists or artists, albums, or anything else isn't currently exposed via the COM SDK."

Isn't currently exposed means that functionality is not available to developers through the API does it not?  I just don't want to mislead people that the functionality they are asking for cannot be accomplished with the current API state.  And that is something as simple as...

"Show me all Artists with the word "DJ" anywhere in their name" etc.... 
========================
Melloware Inc.
info@melloware.com
========================

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #88 on: December 19, 2009, 03:00:15 pm »

Matt said this:
The library grouping system (view schemes) to produce lists or artists,
albums, or anything else isn't currently exposed via the COM SDK.

Groupings don't have immutable integer IDs in our database, so you'd
probably need to make your own ID -> Value map at runtime.  It can also
work to use a 64-bit hash as an ID since this only gives a collision every
~2^32 values.

Which I interpret as "it's possible".

But it would take work on your part and may not be worth the trouble.

Matt,
Correct me if you disagree.

Jim

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #89 on: December 19, 2009, 03:01:57 pm »

Have you explored all the possibilities here?
http://wiki.jrmediacenter.com/index.php/DevZone

Melloware

• World Citizen
« Reply #90 on: December 19, 2009, 03:10:59 pm »

Have you explored all the possibilities here?
http://wiki.jrmediacenter.com/index.php/DevZone

Of course.  I have meticulously poured over every aspect of your documentation on what can be accomplished through the COM SDK.   I would never answer a question blindly without doing my research first.    

I will try and explain this for the non-developers out there.... A COM object is basically the "contract" between two applications. It exposes the functionality that any other applications wish to use and communicate by.   So that contract defines what is and what isn't possible for developers to do.   So for example say Google created a COM object but it only exposed one method that was "googleSearch(string)" that returned a collection of web search results for whatever string you put in the search.  Great, but then another developer comes along and says "I need to use Google Maps to look up a location on a map by zip code".  Well if there is not "googleMaps(location)" function exposed by Google COM object, then that developer cannot accomplish his task no matter how hard he tries.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Component_Object_Model
========================
Melloware Inc.
info@melloware.com
========================

aljordan

• Recent member
« Reply #91 on: December 22, 2009, 10:13:39 am »

Hi,

I also think it would be good for J River to specifically expose API methods to allow direct querying of the media library.  J River has good sound quality and is a flexible all-in-one package.  However, there is no reason to keep a monitor, keyboard, mouse, or a remote control hooked up to the PC in my listening room when devices like the iTouch can be used as remote controls for a large variety of applications.

If you add library browsing into the API, J River would become a valid competitor to products like Squeezecenter / Squeezebox, and would include greater functionality and flexibility.

Thank you,
Alan

ninekit

• Recent member
« Reply #92 on: December 22, 2009, 12:04:59 pm »

I second aljordan and may the force with whom wish this to come true!  ;)

neovibe

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #93 on: December 24, 2009, 12:43:09 pm »

I too believe the MC product would benefit largely from full-on app for iphone remote control, and those proving such an app will surely have a huge number of MC users with iphone/touch-ipods buying it - MC does not seem to be interested in developing such an app (why?), so there's room for people like melloware to market such a product.

)p(

« Reply #94 on: December 24, 2009, 03:21:47 pm »

I too believe the MC product would benefit largely from full-on app for iphone remote control, and those proving such an app will surely have a huge number of MC users with iphone/touch-ipods buying it - MC does not seem to be interested in developing such an app (why?), so there's room for people like melloware to market such a product.

Yeah +1
Its the same with the squeezebox devices. The iphone/touch apps are developed by third party developers and are very popular. Just look at ipeng it is a very complete iphone app that can even access all custom menus provided by squeezecenter plugins ( http://penguinlovesmusic.de/ ). If jriver could extent their api so that rivermote and maybe others could do something similar that would be wonderful!

peter

garyalex

• Recent member
« Reply #95 on: December 28, 2009, 11:47:51 am »

I agree with those asking for full library browsing in RiverMote.  I purchased MC 14 and RiverMote.  I'd hoped I'd be able to work around the limitations of the RiverMote app, but it didn't work out that way.  I need a fully functioning remote.  As a result I've gone back to iTunes and Remote, which feels like a step backwards.

I don't understand why MC is apparently unwilling to do this.

neovibe

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #96 on: December 28, 2009, 01:04:36 pm »

Sadly, I believe I'm through with MC... I need a full-on remote and iphone sync capabilities.

Could MC do all of this? Of course... people like melloware and other develop stuff that do the trick but are, in the end, workarounds, in which support and functionalities are both necessarily limited.

This is a bit offtopic so head here if you care to read - http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=55412.0

cheers

HiFiTubes

« Reply #97 on: January 05, 2010, 08:11:23 am »

I'm a bit confused about this?

JRiver has always been developer-friendly.

What is going on?

Melloware makes a great plugin that needs some help; when the iPod sync plugin was in the works Matt was actively make suggestions and input.

Not sure where the bottleneck is on this one .... ?

jroyale

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #98 on: January 17, 2010, 09:56:06 am »

MC,

I think you need to seriously look at this.  Giving access to the library will HELP your sales in the long run.  The iphone will be the primary phone if not now but in the future for a lot of your customers and having limited access to your library will hurt you in the long run.

I'm using itunes because of this but like rivermote much more save for this deficiency.  This is something you really need to consider and revise.

Melloware

• World Citizen
« Reply #99 on: January 17, 2010, 10:18:55 am »

jroyale,

Even if MC adds support I would prefer to create a product for MC similar to another product I have already made that has incredible power to use the native Apple Remote application to control MC.  Besides the one drawback you listed the Apple Remote is a superior UI application for controlling music.  Plus there is an Android client too so from one server side application I would be able to support controlling MC from iPhone, iPod Touch, AND all Android devices without maintaining 2 codebases!  Using something called DACP...

But that is all vaporware without the API access. :0

========================
Melloware Inc.
info@melloware.com
========================
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up