INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Link bar changes wont save  (Read 2737 times)

galahad1974

• World Citizen
Link bar changes wont save
« on: October 01, 2008, 02:51:37 pm »

Its probable that im missing something obvious, but any changes i make to the default links, and any new links i add to the link bar config dissapear when i close that dialog. If i create a new link, and it looks perfect, when i click ok to close the config screen it dosent show up on the bar, if i then reopen the config screen for the link bar, it is gone. anything i could be doing wrong? what other info can i provide to make it clearer? thanks in advance.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Link bar changes wont save
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2008, 02:52:39 pm »

Not all links will show up in all views.

It's likely, too, that there are some loose ends.

mabes

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2008, 03:07:18 pm »

Its probable that im missing something obvious, but any changes i make to the default links, and any new links i add to the link bar config dissapear when i close that dialog. If i create a new link, and it looks perfect, when i click ok to close the config screen it dosent show up on the bar, if i then reopen the config screen for the link bar, it is gone. anything i could be doing wrong? what other info can i provide to make it clearer? thanks in advance.

Maybe you aren't changing the order in Customize Links setup? I forgot to do that a few times.

galahad1974

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2008, 04:01:45 pm »

Both good ideas. The first I think ive eliminated by making sure the expressions are balnk or duplicates of those that do show up, the second i've eliminated by settiong as the top selection. Plus when i reopen the config screen the options are totally gone from the screen , not just on the bar themselves.
are thier files that may be set to read only on my system that i could check?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2008, 04:37:36 pm »

Try an http:// in front of the link.

galahad1974

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2008, 01:06:44 am »

Man, i cant even make a change to yours.
mine is an exact duplicate of your google link and still nogo.

galahad1974

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2008, 08:52:24 pm »

new info. I also cant save view schemes, or make any new views. Again , it  looks like all goes well, then when i close the dialog, nothing. Im sure its something with my set up, but i dont even know where to start. If i uninstall and reinstall,it wount ersase my new library(imported from 12 but with many new changes)..correct?

galahad1974

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2008, 09:03:51 pm »

After reinstalling, i can now create new view schemes but the link bar is still not changeable, i cant even change the order of the default links.
edit - After a restart, the add library view stopped working again.
edit 2 - ok, so get this
if i start the program, and instantly add a view, it works fine.
if i do anything else, then try , it does nothing.

galahad1974

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2008, 10:31:51 pm »

This keeps getting wierder and wierder
to add to the above info. ANYthing i do as soon as i start the program works fine, as long as i do it first thing, with no other actions beforehand.
if i ad a new view. it is there forever.
if i add a link, it correctly adds it to the links.xml in my roaming profile and shows up on next restart.
But after i open a few views, it dissapears. it shows back up on restart, but only says for a few actions. after that MC13 is relaoding the default list from somewhere.
odd no?

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2008, 01:01:42 am »

>> ... in my roaming profile... <<

Is that one of those things that allows you to log onto your desktop from any workstation within a given intranet?

and if I'm right, I'd imagine that the systems administrator would need to grant you permision to save and change files wherever it is that MC wants to save them?
in fact, I'd imagine that MC would want to save it's configuration files locally, but your profile thing-a-me-jig would be somewhere else, on a central server for you to be able to access from wherever you happen to be at the time?

I'm maybe way off target here with regards to how these things work, but I'm willing to bet that your roaming profile status has something to do with the wierdness, I'm just not exactly sure what...

-marko.

galahad1974

• World Citizen
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2008, 01:11:29 am »

thats what i thought at first also, but A) it installs that way on all systems ive tried (like 9 at this point), and like i said, it works fine if i do it first think on start up of the program. so its not a permissions issue. I swear, its like Mc is locking out changes after my first few actions, and loading defaults for the linkbar. I know that cant be, but regardless, its what is happening. thanks for speaking up though, Im open to try anything.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2008, 10:35:25 am »

It sounds like something is goofing with the Media Center application data files.  This will cause all sorts of problems.

You could use Library Manager to put your library someplace you know you can read and write, but if application data is being changed, you'll have other problems as well.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

galahad1974

• World Citizen
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2008, 04:29:44 am »

ok, I moved my library to another drive. still same behaviour. This is really odd.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2008, 08:22:15 am »

Try using Library Manager to set up a new test library.

Are you using any other software with MC?  Anything special at all?  Anything unusual about your installation?

galahad1974

• World Citizen
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2008, 02:00:30 pm »

Ok, Ive created a new blank library, and the same behavior is present. I have no plug ings or other software installed that i can imagine would interfere. no virus scanner runs on this system.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2008, 02:46:25 pm »

Could you describe how you're customizing the bar and when the customizations go away?  I'm looking for a step-by-step.

What does the "links.xml" file in your database folder look like at each step?

Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

galahad1974

• World Citizen
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2008, 11:52:21 pm »

Guys, i dont understand this, I came home this afternoon and everything works fine. Im not kidding, nothing changed, the system wasnt even restarted. Im going to keep my eyes open and ill repost here if it stops again. But as of this second, everything works perfectly> thanks for all the help, I'm really confused at this point.

Pages: [1]   Go Up