INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Automatic conversion to Apple Lossless when copying to IPod  (Read 2687 times)

Haydnsimon

• Recent member
Automatic conversion to Apple Lossless when copying to IPod
« on: October 03, 2008, 02:27:10 am »

I bought a subscription to Magnatunes and downloaded loads of stuff in FLAC format. This is fine for playing in JRiver but I assumed I would have to convert the files before transferring them to my iPod. I was pleasantly surprised to find that JRiver takes care of this automatically. However I was disappointed that this conversion is only to mp3. Is there anyway to get Media Center to convert to Apple Lossless before transfer.

Now if only the iPod would support FLAC without changing the operating system  :)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Automatic conversion to Apple Lossless when copying to IPod
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2008, 07:02:41 am »

Only iTunes can create Apple Lossless.  You could tell Apple what you want.

High quality MP3 files should work well.  You can change the encoding settings for the sync.

Haydnsimon

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2008, 11:41:57 am »

DBPowerAmp does have an encoder for Apple Lossless. I have used it to convert FLAC files in the past. It may not be perfect as the results play on an iPod and JRiver on my XP machine. However I have found that the files created this way don't play on Vista 64 bit machine.

Would it require a lot of effort (by me - I see this is not a high priority for you guys with JRiver 13 coming out) to incorporate this encoder as plugin into JRiver.

Simon

toomanybarts

• World Citizen
  • I might be a porcupine.
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2008, 03:11:04 pm »

The Reference version (DBPoweramp) offers Command Line Interface - which theoretically allow MC to call the app and for this whole FLAC to ALAC process to be automatic.
Pages: [1]   Go Up