INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Cover Art Search better but still missing Artist/Name-only search  (Read 1923 times)

Dopas

• Junior Woodchuck
  • MC rocks ... keep up your good work!

Hi MC team,
I like the new cover art Search in MC13, but it still doesn't solve my main issue: I would like to search cover art by artist and song name only, ignoring the album. This is import for compilations where I prefer to show the artist cover art instead of the album cover art.

My suggestion: Could you introduce an option to select which of the attributes (artist, album and/or song) can be searched on. So any possible combination of artist, album and song name would be possible.

Thanks & cheers from Zurich, Switzerland
Dom
Media Center 12.X/13.x
Handheld: IPOD 60GB, Creative Vision:M
Media Receiver: DLink DSM-320

MusicHawk

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: New Cover Art Search better but still missing Artist/Name only search
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2008, 01:32:25 pm »

>> an option to select which of the attributes (Artist, Album and/or Song) should be searched on

Excellent suggestion!

My reason: For most of my 80-thousand tracks, MC can't find cover art, but manually I can almost-always find a suitable album or artist image.

Because...
  • Track is not associated with any album, usually because its from a single (45/78).
  • Track is from a compilation where that particular album cover is irrelevant
  • Track is found on multiple albums, sometimes stated to be by another artist
  • Track or artist artist are on multiple albums of the same name
  • Artist name somewhat varies from album to album, in reality and/or in YADB, so MC finds the "wrong" album.

In many of these situations, YADB probably has some desirable images, if only the search process could find them. Giving the user control over what is search, possibly in what priority, could solve this problem.

In the rest of these situations, good images exist somewhere else that might be searched, most-fruitfully if the search can be controlled.
Managing my media with JRiver since Media Jukebox 8 (maybe earlier), currently use Media Center for Audio/Music and Photos/Videos.
My career in media spans Radio, TV, Print, Photography, Music, Film, Online, Live, Advertising, as producer, director, writer, performer, editor, engineer, executive, owner. An exhausting but amazing ride.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: New Cover Art Search better but still missing Artist/Name-only search
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2008, 06:55:27 pm »

Hi MC team,
I like the new cover art Search in MC13, but it still doesn't solve my main issue: I would like to search cover art by artist and song name only, ignoring the album. This is import for compilations where I prefer to show the artist cover art instead of the album cover art.
Hello Zurich.  You might try the Images link that was added in MC13.  You can copy any image you find, then paste into the cover art window.

Dopas

• Junior Woodchuck
  • MC rocks ... keep up your good work!
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2008, 02:54:58 am »

Hello Zurich.  You might try the Images link that was added in MC13.  You can copy any image you find, then paste into the cover art window.

Yes, I know but then I need to search manually, which I'm doing already.
The goal should be to be able to search automatically and find cover arts automatically.

Using the image link does not solve the problem.

Thanks
Dom
Media Center 12.X/13.x
Handheld: IPOD 60GB, Creative Vision:M
Media Receiver: DLink DSM-320

cwilliams222

• Junior Woodchuck
  • What if we built a Large Wooden Badger.....
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2008, 09:10:50 am »

I too agree with adding the ability to do an album art search allowing me to pick what criteria to use.  I've seen this asked for many times in the past (I think I even did that once).

While I do not normally like Windows Media Player, that is one thing I think it does well.  It is very easy to use it to search for album art and pick how you search.  It can make it really easy to find certain albums, compilations, and other things that might be "difficult" to look for.

Pages: [1]   Go Up