INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Auto update tag question  (Read 2035 times)

tingtong5

• Recent member
Auto update tag question
« on: October 07, 2008, 03:06:41 am »

Hi all,

Sometimes when I am exiting Mediacenter, before closing down there is a meesage that says it is saving some tags.
Last night I found out that in a seemingly randomly fashion the genre was changed of sever tracks in my music library.
I spent an hour or two to fix it and now I barely dare to start mediacenter being afraid that it will change some tags again.

I spent months to get my music library on order (of course I make backups but still..) and would like to keep it the way I choose to organize my tags.

This is probably due to a setting in Mediacenter that I am not aware of. Anybody any idea why this is happening and how to prevent mediacenter from unwantedly changing tags?

Best regards,

Ronald

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Mediacenter is fiddling with my tags
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2008, 06:37:21 am »

You haven't said which version you're using, but I know of no problems in any version that could cause MC to change the genre without user action.

tingtong5

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2008, 07:32:41 am »

You haven't said which version you're using, but I know of no problems in any version that could cause MC to change the genre without user action.
Hi Jim,

I am using version 12 (latest update).

To avoid misunderstandings, I am not claiming any bugs in Mediacenter, I might have done something stupid that I was unaware of as an unexperienced user  ;)

Let me reprhase my initial post to a simple question: Is there any setting in MC12 that causes MC to auto update tags ?

Regards,

Ronald

gappie

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2008, 07:47:40 am »

hi ronald, you could:

1) disable 'update tags when file info changes' under options>general.

2) besides that you could say which tags are written to the files under options> library & Folders>standard library fields, open a field and look for 'store in file tags (when possible)'. this should not matter if 1 is disabled.

:)
gab

JimH

• Administrator
Re: Auto update tag question
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2008, 08:05:09 am »

To be clear, any change in the tag would still require a user action.

MC does not fill the genre without user action.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2008, 08:06:27 am »

I am using version 12 (latest update).
In MC Help/System Info, you can see the full version.  Please post it.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2008, 08:21:38 am »

Ronald,

As Jim said, I don't think MC could write a tag that differs from what you have in the library. I wonder where MC would get a different genre value if it doesn't come from your file. The only possible thing would be the "Lookup track info from YADB" tool, but you would need the start the tool manually. It does not work in the background.

If you can reliably reproduce the problem with a certain file it would be good to examine the file. For example, a file may have differing tag values in more than one tag format.

MC has a few features that may trigger writing (as it is supposed to always keep the file tags up-to-date). For instance, the manual or automatic cover art or file analyzer tools write tags, but these tools cannot change an existing genre field value to something else.

As also said, you can disable all tag write operations in the general options. When tag writing is disabled MC maintains all library data only in its database (aka library). It may still import external tag changes to the library if you have allowed that in the auto-import options or do it manually by using the "Update library (from tags)" tool.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

tingtong5

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2008, 01:55:54 am »

I'm using version 12.0.534

tingtong5

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2008, 01:57:22 am »

hi ronald, you could:

2) besides that you could say which tags are written to the files under options> library & Folders>standard library fields, open a field and look for 'store in file tags (when possible)'. this should not matter if 1 is disabled.

:)
gab
Thanks Gab!  :)

Ad 1. This was on, to protect me against myself I disabled this option now  ;D

Regards,

Ronald

tingtong5

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2008, 02:14:12 am »

To be clear, any change in the tag would still require a user action.

MC does not fill the genre without user action.
I probably had been fiddling around a bit too much, I installed mediacenter on my Mediacenter PC, my normal PC upstairs and on my laptop all sharing the same music library :P I guess I will limit this to two pc's (one actually playing music, the other for testing purposes).

tingtong5

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2008, 02:17:50 am »

As Jim said, I don't think MC could write a tag that differs from what you have in the library. I wonder where MC would get a different genre value if it doesn't come from your file. The only possible thing would be the "Lookup track info from YADB" tool, but you would need the start the tool manually. It does not work in the background.
Ok, clear  :)

If you can reliably reproduce the problem with a certain file it would be good to examine the file. For example, a file may have differing tag values in more than one tag format.
I was not able to reproduce this so it must have been my own actions  ;)

As also said, you can disable all tag write operations in the general options. When tag writing is disabled MC maintains all library data only in its database (aka library). It may still import external tag changes to the library if you have allowed that in the auto-import options or do it manually by using the "Update library (from tags)" tool.
That is what I did now, I have confidence that it won't occur again  :)

Thanks all for helping!  :D
Pages: [1]   Go Up