INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Portable install question  (Read 1252 times)

jb_alphamale

• Recent member
Portable install question
« on: October 07, 2008, 11:03:17 am »

The idea to have a portable install of MC on the mp3 sounds great even couple of us would complain about the speed of how data is transferred through the USB device but hey at least you don't have to have multiple installs, you don't have to have other memory sticks with your music or to update libraries and settings in multiple locations. Unfortunately this solution was not that easy to achieve for me.

My Sony NWZ-A729 installs on my vista business sp1 as an MTP device and that allows me through MC to create and sync playlists. Everything OK up to here but because the OS sees it as an MTP device you cannot install MC on it because the setup looks for a letter drive not applicable with MTP devices.

There is a choice in device manager to change the driver for my player from MTP  device to USB mass storage device so after that the OS would see the mp3 player as a drive with a drive letter but then in MC for this handheld you won't see the playlists and there is no way to sync playlists.

Anyone have a possible solution? I'd love to have MC installed on my mp3 player and the library pointed to my music folder on the same device. One solution for all.

Thank you.

JB

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Portable install question
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2008, 11:13:27 am »

MC has options you can set for where the playlists go.  Tools/Options/Handheld.

You could take a look to see where the MTP sync puts playlists and set your options to agree.  It might work.

jb_alphamale

• Recent member
Re: Portable install question
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2008, 04:24:53 pm »

Thanks JimH. I tried what you advised but it didn't work. It is not only MC but all the media players. It seems that Sony mp3 players offers less "transparency" to its resources in USB mass storage mode than in MTP device mode. I reverted back to MTP because I need the playlists. In MTP mode works perfect but you cannot do the portable install so that's it. Hope that future firmwares or models will correct that.
JB
Pages: [1]   Go Up