INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Another (several) Replay Gain question(s)  (Read 942 times)

WinoOutWest

• Galactic Citizen
Another (several) Replay Gain question(s)
« on: October 07, 2008, 01:35:23 pm »

Hi All,

I have a large library 212k songs and have never done any Audio Analysis on them and I would like to change this.
I also use several portable devices that I would like to benefit from the pain of analyzing my collection.  With the exception of my Blackberry my portable devices are running Rockbox.
I've searched the forums but was hoping someone can clarify what would be right for me:

1) Will the current Replay Gain Audio Analysis in 12.0.534 be compatible with Rockbox? If not, what should I use to perform the analysis that will be compatible with MC and Rockbox?
2) Any ballpark estimates on how long a 212,000 song library will take?
3) Can I have several machines performing analysis concurrently (i.e. on different drives)

Cheers!
Wino

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
Re: Another (several) Replay Gain question(s)
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2008, 02:14:48 pm »

1) MC12 creates MP3/ID3v2 Track Gain tags that are compatible with Rockbox. I have requested compatible Album Gain tags and similar compatibility support for other file formats. I hope JRiver can implement these in MC13.

2) It will take as long as decoding the files at the maximum possible speed would take. I'd recommend doing it in small batches. Maybe you could first do the Artists that start with the "A" letter then the "B" artists and so on.

3) Yes, if you have MC set to write the tags to the files. For instance, you could analyze the "A" artists with one machine, the "B" artists with another machine and so. I think you should disable the auto-import feature on each PC (or at least its option to update for external changes) so that the importer would not have any effect to the speed of the analysis process. After all Replay Gain tags are created you can import the changed tags to your library (or libraries).
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755
Pages: [1]   Go Up