INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Disc lookup capitalization - all words are upper-cased  (Read 2729 times)

Johnny B

• Galactic Citizen
Disc lookup capitalization - all words are upper-cased
« on: October 07, 2008, 02:40:03 pm »

If I fill / correct CD song names (mostly it should be "Title case" only), Send the CD to online database and then Update from CD database back, mostly I get upper case on every word. "Disc lookup capitalization" is set to "Original from database".
Why is MC doing this??

BTW I do not understand this "Title case" behaviour mostly seen in US... I mean it makes sense to only capitalize names like Martin, Alan, Prague etc. or other special expressions like God, Moon, Earth. But why song titles should have all words capitalized like "The Landscape Is Changing" or "Can You Hear Me When I Talk To You?" that is really beyond my comprehansion...
Maybe someone US native could enlighten me  :)

AustinBike

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
Re: Disc lookup capitalization - all words are upper-cased
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2008, 09:36:10 pm »

Don't look to the british, they killed the english language ;)

It's a pretty common style rule:

http://www.tc-forum.org/topicmai/ml03capi.htm

The real issue is that in most cases everything is capitalized, which is wrong. 

But, they have a name for people like us.  And anal-retentive is hyphenated ;)

Johnny B

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2008, 03:23:51 am »

I see... Thanks for the link; however this seems to me unnecessarily complicated. The way we do it in Czech language is to capitalize only first word in a sentence and names / titles - nothing else - which is easy to follow and I prefer this for English as well  8)

So JRiver how about the issue with CD online database??

vbrook

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2008, 09:15:23 pm »

Interesting. As a British English speaker in the US, I'm often critisised for my capitalisations. Specially, they say I capitalise too often!!  :o

You could use a program such as MP3Tag to capitalise the track titles as you like. Not to detract from MC, which has excellent functionality, but MP3Tag is a purpose-built tag editior. I used it frequently as I was converting my CD collection.

Johnny B

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2008, 08:25:58 am »

You could use a program such as MP3Tag to capitalise the track titles as you like. Not to detract from MC, which has excellent functionality, but MP3Tag is a purpose-built tag editior. I used it frequently as I was converting my CD collection.

Well I don't mind rename the files myself - the problem is that MC online CD database behaves in a bit weird way...

So JRiver could you please comment this??

Johnny B

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2008, 05:55:52 am »

bump

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2008, 06:47:08 am »

If I fill / correct CD song names (mostly it should be "Title case" only), Send the CD to online database and then Update from CD database back, mostly I get upper case on every word. "Disc lookup capitalization" is set to "Original from database".
Why is MC doing this??
I don't think MC does do this.  Try a few more.

Johnny B

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2008, 07:38:46 am »

I don't think MC does do this.  Try a few more.

Well Jim believe it or not but MC indeed does it  :)

I tried 3 CDs which were already in the online database (after my alterations now they are named this way):
Depeche Mode - Speak & Spell [CD Stumm 5]
Depeche Mode - A Broken Frame [CD Stumm 9]
Depeche Mode - Construction Time Again [CD Stumm 13]

No matter what I do the capitalization stays the same for all the tracks. Not only I am unable to change to lower case but I am unable to change it to upper case neither (as I curiously tried on track "Just can't get enough (Schizo mix)" which seems to be only correct one).

I also tried one CD which did not exist in the online database yet:
Multiple Artists - Some Great Celebration

The tracknames kept OK however if I change the capitalization now - again it does not have any impact and they stay as they were when I sent it to online database for the very first time.
And what is really weird: the band on track 9 is called "strange day" and not "Strange Day" and even though I originally filled it correctly, MC apparently changed it to upper case and If I try to correct it now and Send / Receive it stays in upper case...

So these are my findings

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2008, 08:40:35 am »

Does anyone else see this problem?

Johnny B

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2008, 02:14:29 am »

Hmm am I really the only one who spotted this??

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2008, 02:35:43 pm »

If you send a correction, it will only be used if that correction gets the most votes in the future.  It's not an immediate process.

If you like title case, you can set Media Center to always apply title case to online data lookups in Options.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Johnny B

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2008, 03:44:26 pm »

If you send a correction, it will only be used if that correction gets the most votes in the future.  It's not an immediate process.

Hm quotation you say? This applies also for the capitalization?? Then I am afraid I have no chance to actually change anything because I suppose that majority of English speaking people does prefer the (insane and incorrect) capitalization of every single word...  :-\

If you like title case, you can set Media Center to always apply title case to online data lookups in Options.

Hm but not always only "Title case" is the correct way - sometimes there ARE names in the titles which should be preserved capitalized so it doesn't solve the issue neither...
Hence the only way for me is to fill / fix the correct title names, send it to Online database however NEVER download it from Online back, right?  ::)

I still don't understand why even in case of a a CD which was not in the database until I filled / sent it (the one I mentioned in my previous post "Multiple Artists - Some Great Celebration") title case of the band was changed by MC despite the original value I filled in??
Pages: [1]   Go Up