INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Stuck on saving tag changes  (Read 1683 times)

mesue

• Galactic Citizen
Stuck on saving tag changes
« on: October 12, 2008, 11:06:30 am »

Every once in a while I will have a message that says "Saving Tag Changes (1 remaining)" at the bottom of the MC window that stays there for a long time. I think this is due to another person playing the file somewhere else or leaving the file paused. Is there any way I can find out what file it is trying to save so I can go unpause it? It blocks me from seeing other useful information in my status bar.
Sue

mesue

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Stuck on saving tag changes
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2008, 09:38:24 pm »

Is the answer no, or am I just being ignored?
Sue

rjm

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2008, 11:49:03 pm »

I think the answer is no.

marko

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2008, 12:07:51 am »

After 10 or 15 minutes, MC will give up, at which point you'll get an error message which details the file in question. As far as I'm aware, that's the only way to find out!

I know what you mean about that status bar thing though...
A long time ago I pleaded for the tagging status stuff to be given its own space on the status bar, I mean, why not have it over in the far right corner?
Even if you did find and unlock the file for tagging, the waiting message would just get replaced with a "Done saving tag changes" message that you have to somehow clear without changing your current selection. It's a pain.

I solved this here for the most part by preventing just about all tags from being written to files and relying on a good library backup strategy instead. I keep artist, album, name and date in the file, everything else is database only. I don't imagine that that is a solution that will suit many users, but there you go, it's what works for me.

I may go back to saving in files if the tagging status info is ever given it's own real estate on the MC status bar.

-marko.

mesue

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2008, 08:59:10 am »

Thanks, guys. I've had the status bar message there for much longer than 10-15 minutes at times. Like, several hours. The time that prompted me to post this message, the error didn't appear until the next day. Eventually it does show up, though. Maybe it is getting hidden behind other windows? I have had that problem in other software where a dialog box is asking me something, but it never comes forward and it makes a program appear locked. <sigh>

I found something of a workaround, though. If I remote desktop onto my server and run fsmgmt.msc, I can see all files that are in use by clients and break the connections if needed.

Sue
Pages: [1]   Go Up