INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Slighty OT: Need some networking help with Remote Server  (Read 1195 times)

Jonathan DA

• Junior Woodchuck
Slighty OT: Need some networking help with Remote Server
« on: October 12, 2008, 08:28:58 pm »

Hey all,

I have MC12 running Remote Server on my HTPC in the theater.  We have three laptops around the house, one with XP Home, and two with XP Pro.  Two of the machines can connect to http://theater:80 just fine, however one of the XP Pro machines always returns the message "Bad Request (Invalid Hostname)" in both IE7 and Firefox 3.  Is there something simple that I should look at in the network settings on the machine that won't connect?

Thx,

Jonathan

Jonathan DA

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: Slighty OT: Need some networking help with Remote Server
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2008, 09:41:56 pm »

Some additional info...the machine that can't connect to the remote server can connect to the LAN.  I was able to set up a share on the HTPC and map a drive on the laptop to the HTPC.  So I can see the peer to peer network without any trouble, I just can't figure out why I'm getting the bad request error on that machine when the other two can connect just fine.

benn600

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2008, 11:22:25 pm »

I bet the IP address would work.  On the HTPC go to run > cmd > ipconfig ... then try going to the IP address http://192.168.1.x or whatever it is.  Sometimes the name works and sometimes it doesn't depending on your setup and configuration.

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2008, 09:09:22 am »

I bet the IP would work as well. You might want to check to see if one machine has a DNS domain set (like foobar.com for example) and the other doesn't.
Pages: [1]   Go Up