INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: my smartlist got converted to a playlist--help!  (Read 1047 times)

pgrisham

• World Citizen
  • Change this by choosing profile
my smartlist got converted to a playlist--help!
« on: October 12, 2008, 10:15:36 pm »

I imported my library weeks ago after installing a new hd, and I just now discovered my smartlists are now playlists.  I have 2 questions:  can I get them back as smartlists, or can someone help me recreate them?

Here's what my smartlists, which someone helped me create, did:  the smartlists were designed to find pictures with ONLY certain people, say, my wife and me, in a picture.  I learned that if I create a simple smartlist for this, it also includes other people listed in the tag.  Example:  a list would have a pic of my wife and me along with a pic of my wife, me, and my parents.  I had gotten formulas that would find pictures with ONLY certain people in it, and it was a pretty complicated smartlist!

I need a smartlist guru!

marko

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: my smartlist got converted to a playlist--help!
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2008, 01:17:24 am »

This doesn't sound right.

Did you make a library backup, and then do a library restore after installing your new drive, or did you, as I suspect, do the "Export all playlists" thing, and then, after installing your new drive, simply re-import all your files into a new MC library?

A library backup/Restore would have, or should have, retained all of your smartlists.
Are all of your files still in the same location they were in before you installed your new drive?
Do you have a library backup from before you installed your new drive?

If the answer to both those questions is 'yes', then you might get away with replacing a single file from your backup to have all your old smartlist reappear automagically. MC creates automatic library backups for you and saves them in the JRiver folder in your \Application Data\ folder.

I think this two year old thread might be the one you are talking about, and a helpful hint, the latest MC12 build stores the [people] field data alphabetically, taking a small ammount of strain off the brain :)

-marko.
Pages: [1]   Go Up