INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Questions about 2 computers and a MC  (Read 3276 times)

boydn

• Galactic Citizen
Questions about 2 computers and a MC
« on: October 14, 2008, 02:11:09 am »

I thought I had this the way I wanted it to work. 
Computer in dining room with lossless WMA Wireless to a computer in dining room.  I have a shared drive on computer 1 mapped on computer 2 running MC on both, no issues.
Now, I want to cut all my concert DVDs into individual videos.  Ripped into .VOB and somebody told me to rename ,VOB to .MPEG so they will play on MC ond WMP.  Again worked ok. 
Went in yesterday and filled in Artist, Genre and Album on computer 1.  None of the tagged info shows on computer 2.

Is there a video format that will hold tag info so it will show up on both computers?

Hope it's clear what I want.
Thanks

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
Re: Questions about 2 computers and a MC
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2008, 03:56:22 am »

Windows Media Video (aka wmv) is the only video format that supports metadata in file tags. MC uses the same Windows Media components for tagging WM audio and WM video files. The other video formats do not provide a mechanism for writing file tags.

Your other options include:

1. Share the library folder between the two PC/MC instances

The first started MC would be able to read and write the library. The second MC would always automatically load a temporary copy of the library and would not be able to make permanent changes. You would be able run either of the MC instances as a "master" that can save changes by closing both instances and starting the desired instance first.

To use this option you would need to create a copy of your existing database (aka library in MC), place it in a shared location and add this library to both MC instances with the Library Manager tool. In addition, both PCs would need to be able to use identical paths to access the media files. MC has a tool for adjusting just the directory paths inside the libary so probably you could easily adjust the paths to point to your current shared location (or locations).

2. Use the same shared location(s) to access the files on both PCs and periodically restore an up-to-date library backup file that was created on your "master" MC on the other MC instance.

3. Export the video files' metadata as an MPL playlist and import this playlist on the other MC instance. You would need to use the manual Export/Import tools in the File menu.

MC has also the Library Server system. It is great for audio files, but unfortunately it is not practically usable with video files because most video formats cannot be played through this system without first downloading a complete copy of the video file.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

boydn

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2008, 11:42:31 pm »

Thanks for the quick reply.  Read all the options several times and am still greatly confused..
Looks to me like Option 2 would be the easiest.

So if I understand I would need the path to the audio/video files have to be the same on both machines,
If I use "T:\\Music Library\...." then I would map a drive on computer B as "T:\\Music Library\....".
Then copy the backup file from computer A to computer B and restore.

1. Is this correct?
2. What is the default location for the MC backup files?
Thanks again for the help.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2008, 07:36:46 am »

Thanks for the quick reply.  Read all the options several times and am still greatly confused..
Looks to me like Option 2 would be the easiest.

I'd recommend experimenting with the options.

The #1 is easy after the configuration is created and would provide a more automated library update on the second PC. A restart would always automatically load the most recent library. (Actually, the same can be done by just reloading the current library in File > Library...)

So if I understand I would need the path to the audio/video files have to be the same on both machines,
If I use "T:\\Music Library\...." then I would map a drive on computer B as "T:\\Music Library\....".
Then copy the backup file from computer A to computer B and restore.
1. Is this correct?
2. What is the default location for the MC backup files?

Both PCs would need to be able to access T:\Music Library\

For instance, if all files are in C:\Media\Music Library\ on one of the PCs you can share the C:\Media\ folder and map it to T: on both PCs.

Inside MC you can use the Rename, Move, & Copy Files tool for changing all file links from C:\Media\Music Library\ to T:\Music Library\ . Select all files and start the tool. In the RM&C window you can select the "Update database to point new location" option and use the Find & Replace section for changing the directory paths.

The default location for the automatic backups on XP is C:\Documents and Settings\[your user name]\Application Data\J River\Media Center 12\Library Backups\ (on Vista the application data path is different). You should be able to see the automatically created backup files when you open the Restore tool.
If you want to export the library and restore it on another PC you can run the manual Backup tool and save a new backup file in a shared folder that can be accessed through the LAN.

Disable the Auto-Import tool, create a new library backup file and try the different options with a few test files before applying any changes to the complete library.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

boydn

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2008, 12:30:09 am »

I think I may try installing MC13 and experiment with it and this at the same time.
Thanks again. 

twobadfish

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2008, 06:23:23 am »

Alex B, I tried your suggestion exporting a playlist but the problem is I lose all my cover art for my videos. I have a shared location for cover art and tried selecting all files/quick find in cover art directory but nothing happens.

Any ideas?

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2008, 04:48:42 pm »

Does the Image File field have a value after you have imported the MPL file? (You can add the field to AW > tag or as a new column.)

If it has a value is the link correct?

twobadfish

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2008, 05:42:43 pm »

Brilliant! Thank you so much for helping so far.

Yes, the fields are all filled in, but point to the wrong location. I changed the setting:

I changed the location to Y:\ and mapped a network drive on both computers so they now share a cover art directory and I should be able to easily backup and restore my library in the future... it's just a matter of changing the directory in those fields. Even after I changed that setting they remained the same.

boydn

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2008, 10:38:42 pm »

Ok, installed MC13 on both machines.
Machine A
Created G:\Multimedia\MC13 and used Library Manager to create my library.
Then mapped a drive on machine b as G:\Multimedia\MC13 selected the library on mchine a.
I can see all the files but, when I double click a .WMA file I get a file not found on the bottom of the screen.  When I look at video all of the thumbs have a yellow circle with a red splat in it.
Thnking I path in the mapping.
Any ideas?

twobadfish

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2008, 11:41:10 pm »

You can either back up your library on machine a and and restore it on machine b (the one with missing files) or you can rebuild your library on machine b.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2008, 11:44:47 pm »

it's just a matter of changing the directory in those fields. Even after I changed that setting they remained the same.

You can open an mpl file in a text editor and do a find & replace operation.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2008, 11:49:05 pm »

Ok, installed MC13 on both machines.
Machine A
Created G:\Multimedia\MC13 and used Library Manager to create my library.
Then mapped a drive on machine b as G:\Multimedia\MC13 selected the library on mchine a.
I can see all the files but, when I double click a .WMA file I get a file not found on the bottom of the screen.  When I look at video all of the thumbs have a yellow circle with a red splat in it.
Thnking I path in the mapping.
Any ideas?

Also the media files must be available on the same mappped drive on both PCs and the filenames inside the library must point to that drive.

boydn

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2008, 11:38:41 pm »

Ok, Confused again. 
Thought option 1 looked the best.  With MC running on PC1,
Mapped drives, Select the shared library, MC locks up.  Shut it down with task manager and re open.  Box says it's already in use and will be read only, say Ok and it locks up.
Un install, then use option 2 and restore a backup from PC1.  All files play fine.

Any idea what could be causing the lockup with the shared library?
Thanks

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2008, 04:04:12 am »

Ok, Confused again. 
Thought option 1 looked the best.  With MC running on PC1,
Mapped drives, Select the shared library, MC locks up.  Shut it down with task manager and re open.  Box says it's already in use and will be read only, say Ok and it locks up.
Un install, then use option 2 and restore a backup from PC1.  All files play fine.

Any idea what could be causing the lockup with the shared library?
Thanks

It works for me.

Are you saying that you can't open the shared library at all or just that only the second MC instance freezes?

The first MC instance should always work normally. Just like when you use the default library. How exactly did you create the shared library?

Did you apply any restrictions when you shared the library folder? What is the exact library path on each PC?

When the second MC instance opens a library in the read-only mode it copies the contents of the library folder to a temporary location in the user's local application data path. If the problem occurs only on the second PC could a security program or an OS level security setting prevent MC from copying or using the copied library files?

boydn

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2008, 02:13:38 pm »

Still confused.  Today it seems to be working for the most part with the shared library.  PC2 is missing a lot of thumbnails from the music and all of them in the videos but, no lockups and they play.  I tried to rebuild thumbnails on PC2, no change.
To answer your questions:
1.  Before if PC1 was not running MC the shared library would open on PC2 but, if it was already running on PC1 when I selected it on PC2 I would get the message that it would be read only, hit OK and PC2 would lockup.
2.  There are no restrictions on the shared library.
G:\Multimedia\MC13 Library (for the library)
G:\Multimedia\Music Library (for actual files)

Thanks again for taking the time to help.  That's one of the things I like about MC....
Pages: [1]   Go Up