INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: EAC Tutorial  (Read 2700 times)

Charlemagne 8

• Citizen of the Universe
EAC Tutorial
« on: July 25, 2002, 04:39:29 pm »

http://radified.com/MP3/CDripper_MP3encoder.htm

This is such a comprehensive, easy to understand site that it should be required reading for all MJ users.
It's at least good enough to deserve it's own thread.
Try it. You'll like it.
CVIII
That's right.
I'm cool.

TURBO

RE:EAC Tutorial
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2002, 04:43:58 pm »

But, but this is MJ Competitor. Uhmmm....

Charlemagne 8

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2002, 04:51:52 pm »

I KNEW somebody would bring that up.
Whatever the means of encoding, be it MJ, EAC or The Unnamed Ones we will all play it back on MJ and that is where a good general knowledge of encoding comes into play (pun intended).
Besides, EAC isn't a direct competitor. It's more like a collegue. Lots of us have and use both.
That's right.
I'm cool.

sekim

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2002, 04:54:37 pm »

CVIII,

Yes it is. This also where I gleaned the encoder settings from my reply in the 'ripping entire cd collection' thread. However informative it is, I still like the fact that MJ does just as well, for me anyway. Getting stubborn in my old age I guess.

Listening to: 'Star Cycle' from 'There And Back' by 'Jeff Beck' on Media Jukebox

JimH

• Miller drives a tall-masted tractor on the ocean
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2002, 05:02:22 pm »

We're hoping EAC will marry MJ.
Jim Hillegass
JRiver Media Center / Media Jukebox

scodan

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2002, 05:04:47 pm »

A "competitor"?  Not really.  And besides, one of the guys who wrote Media Jukebox recommends EAC!

Charlemagne 8

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2002, 05:05:56 pm »

MH
"Yes it is" what?
"a comprehensive, easy to understand site" or "a direct competitor"?
I use MJ almost exclusively. There are still times when EAC is the better choice. Did MJ lose a sale to EAC? Nope. EAC is free. AND EAC doesn't do a very good job as a Jukebox.
Besides, this is my opinion. We all have one. Just like something else we all have one of ... a navel.
That's right.
I'm cool.

scodan

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2002, 05:14:55 pm »

Charlemagne 8 wrote:
Besides, EAC isn't a direct competitor. It's more like a collegue.
Very intelligently said.  I like that.  

zigguratt

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2002, 05:16:17 pm »

I agree. I currently use Exact Audio Copy to do my ripping and Media Jukebox to do all my playback. They aren't competitors. EAC does a stellar job of ensuring you have an... uh, exact audio copy of your CD - the most important step. Pair that with Monkey's Audio compression and you have an unbeatable combination.
The latest version of Glissando can be had here.

Charlemagne 8

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2002, 05:20:53 pm »

Another thing that EAC does a good job on is breaking albums into individual tracks that you foolishly recorded as ONE MP3 and then someone stole the original CD.
That's right.
I'm cool.

joe|PLS|mama

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2002, 05:32:03 pm »

Another good EAC tutorial

http://www.ping.be/satcp/

TURBO

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2002, 06:55:56 pm »

He, he, he, calm down guys. Let's put it this way. Some customers will understand, some others will get confused, some will like to use others and some will like to be used.

Scronch

« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2002, 09:42:24 pm »

some came to sing, some came to dance
some came to get a piece of ass

or sumthin like that... never could stand her.

sekim

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2002, 10:58:14 pm »

MH
"Yes it is" what?
"a comprehensive, easy to understand site" or "a direct competitor"?
I use MJ almost exclusively. There are still times when EAC is the better choice. Did MJ lose a sale to EAC? Nope. EAC is free. AND EAC doesn't do a very good job as a Jukebox.
Besides, this is my opinion. We all have one. Just like something else we all have one of ... a navel.

Informative. Fairly sraight forward, and many links to sites that delve into music encoding as a way of life. And I thought I was bad.

I'm not saying that EAC is bad. Just that when I rip and encode I'd prefer to do it with one program. While many individuals may have enough time on their hands to use all the different programs out there, I don't. MJ does a great job of making mp3 cds that are, for now, used primarily in my car. That kind of enviroment isn't condusive to audiophile listening, so anything that may be an artifact will not be picked up anyway.

I should point out that the first program that is listed as second party, or freeware at this sites links page is MJ. Everyone knows a good thing when they see it. Here it is.

Mirko

• Galactic Citizen
  • Coffee ready?
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2002, 11:49:48 pm »

In one program:

You can use EAC to do exactly that. I don't have time to waste myself. So I configured EAC to rip and then encode using Lame in one go.
If you would like to rip and then encode overnights you may also do this. Configure EAC to rip and use winLame or something similar to batch-encode.

Ripping in MJ is fine if the quality of the CDs is equaly good. If it isn't you have to use a secure ripper like EAC. With the "command line encoder"-plugin and using MJ you are able to ensure the best possible encoding quality using Lame.

Just my thoughts.

joe mama

« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2002, 02:32:12 am »

"If you would like to rip and then encode overnights you may also do this. Configure EAC to rip and use winLame or something similar to batch-encode."

Actually, you can also use EAC for batch encoding.  You don't have to wait for it to finish encoding a cd before ripping the next one, you can just keep ripping cds and the files will queue up automatically.  Also, you can shut EAC down while it still has files queued and when you start it again, it will remember where it was and automatically start encoding again.

Jazzwolf

• World Citizen
  • Jazz, Classic Rock, Classic 70's NY Salsa
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2002, 05:08:13 am »

>>Another thing that EAC does a good job on is breaking albums into individual tracks that you foolishly recorded as ONE MP3 and then someone stole the original CD.<<

C8,

How do I do that?.. I downloaded an album that was recorded as 1 mp3 and I have been wondering how to split it up. I haven't figured it out because unfortunately I just don't have the knowledge
It's alright now, I learned my lesson well, you see you can't please everyone, so you've got to please yourself - Rick Nelson

shAf

« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2002, 05:38:49 am »

I too use EAC.  However, whereas I've become somewhat knowledgeable with EAC & LAME encoding, I have now become interested in OGG Vorbis.  I have been successfull with creating the WAVs with EAC and then OGG encoding them as an extra step ... but I'd like the tags to be incorporated as does EAC with LAME.

I did see a tutorial for using OGG with EAC but it was in the German language.  Can someone point me in the right direction?

cheerios ..  shAf  :o)
cheerios from the Avalon Peninsula, Newfoundland
Pages: [1]   Go Up