INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pondering a smartphone ...  (Read 2294 times)

shAf

• Citizen of the Universe
Pondering a smartphone ...
« on: October 12, 2008, 07:57:44 am »

As the technological advances move forward this fall, and while imagining and shopping for my 1st smartphone, I also imagine having this device in my pocket (and in my ears) playing my favorite tunes organized by MC12.  And then I wonder ... "Why not a JRiver app installed on the phone?", which would allow for a client-server relationship at both my home and workplace.

So, before I purchase or seriously consider one phone over the another, I wonder what JRiver's thoughts are regarding smartphone OS's.  Admittedly, Android is a bit immature, and Symbian and iPhone may be off your radar, but is JRiver at least thinking about an client-server app, and whether you're looking hardest at Windows Mobile or Google Android??

TIA for sharing your thoughts  :)
cheerios from the Avalon Peninsula, Newfoundland

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Pondering a smartphone ...
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2008, 08:05:09 am »

I posted a link to this article yesterday:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=48621.0

We think about it a lot, but we would need two things to make it work:

1.  Time
2.  Money

And cooperation from a manufacturer would help.  In the past year, we've talked with Company S and Company M.

It will eventually happen, but it is a big job, not unlike porting to Mac or Linux, both of which are also important.

Android may now be the path of least resistance.

shAf

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2008, 10:35:17 am »

Thanx Jim for letting on more than I might have expected ...

I agree with your thinking and the concept behind Android, but I wouldn't have believed it would also be the path of least resistance.  My own leanings are towards the Sony-Ericsson Xperia, which happens to have a WinMo OS, but that's only because it's a helluva piece of hardware .. but a lot could change between now an when I really get serious (ie, after Xmas).  I'll also be following JR's leanings towards similar technology.

Thanx again ... :)
cheerios from the Avalon Peninsula, Newfoundland

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2008, 10:46:37 am »

You're probably right about Windows Mobile, but we'd like to wriggle out from under Microsoft's heavy foot.

ThoBar

• Was confishy
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2008, 12:34:56 am »

I'd gladly pay for a JR WinMo app... especially if it supports streaming from and syncing with a full MC DB

raldo

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2008, 12:43:54 am »

I'd gladly pay for a JR WinMo app... especially if it supports streaming from and syncing with a full MC DB

Check out Pocket Player, it can act as both a upnp server and client: www.conduits.com

ThoBar

• Was confishy
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2008, 07:15:08 pm »

Check out Pocket Player, it can act as both a upnp server and client: www.conduits.com
Thanks for the tip, it's a nice bit of software. Almost reminds me of MC in some ways.... just a pity it cant sync DB's and files directly with MC... maybe a conduits/MC plugins to allow sync capabilities would be the perfect solution :D
Pages: [1]   Go Up