INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Having trouble with Search Box and User defined fields-Help!  (Read 1215 times)

thurston

• World Citizen
Having trouble with Search Box and User defined fields-Help!
« on: October 20, 2008, 10:10:36 am »

I've added 3 user defined columns to my Documents View Scheme.  They are all formatted as strings but all contain numbers.  When I use MC's Search box to search for files tagged with a given number, the files containing the Search box entry in these user-defined fields do not show.  Is there something I need to do to make the search function include user-defined fields?

marko

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Having trouble with Search Box and User defined fields-Help!
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2008, 10:33:31 am »

there are two ways...

1. when searching via the search field, specify the custom field like so: [custom field]="search string"
The square brackets are required, as are the quotes.

2. Go back into options and edit your custom fields. You have choices here too...
A. Select "default search field" and press OK. This will mean that the field will be searched when you type a string into the search box without specifying a field to search on.

B. While you have the field open for editing, consider adding a 'search keyword'. Search keywords are real time savers if the field has a lengthy and cumbersome name. They work like so...
If you want to search on [your custom field], then you need to actually type; [your custom field]="search string" into the search bar. If you give the field a keyword value of ycf, then when it comes to searching that field from the search box, you only need to type ycf="search string"

-marko

thurston

• World Citizen
Re: Having trouble with Search Box and User defined fields-Help!
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2008, 12:07:29 pm »

You're the man Marko!  Thanks a lot- checking the default search field box worked like a charm. 

Interesting about the keyword option.  Wouldn't be necessary in my application but nice to know. 

Thanks for the great response!
Pages: [1]   Go Up