INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC 10 to MC 12 - Ratings lost?  (Read 1175 times)

kthomas

• Recent member
MC 10 to MC 12 - Ratings lost?
« on: October 21, 2008, 09:17:43 am »

I am attempting to move from MC 10 on XP to MC 12 on Vista (new machine).  I learned thru experimentation that, to get the custom views and user fields I had defined in MC 10, I had to first restore one of my MC 10 backups to MC 12, then delete all the songs, then scan all the music files, then load Library from Tags.   This all appears to have worked fine.

Except - all of the ratings I had applied to my songs previously do not show up.  Actually, a small handful do (and they appear to be accurate), but the vast majority do not.  Other fields restored fine.  I believe I had all tag information stored in the music files themselves.  Is there another place that song Rating is stored?

Thanks in advance.   -Kirk

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
Re: MC 10 to MC 12 - Ratings lost?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2008, 01:45:41 pm »

If I recall correctly the ID3v2 tag frame for the Rating field changed from a custom comment frame to the more standardized POPM ID3v2 frame in MC11 or MC11.1. This might explain why the ratings do not show up if the file format is MP3 and you had MC10 set to write the Rating field to the files (I don't remember what was the default setting).

I don't quite understand why you need to delete the library files after restoring the MC10 library. If you cannot replicate the old folder locations on your new PC you can easily fix the base folders inside MC12 so that it will find your media files from the new location (or locations). You would be able to preserve everything you have in the old library, including ratings, statistics, import dates and static playlists.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755
Pages: [1]   Go Up