INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC 12 stopped working - cpu 60% eh?  (Read 1668 times)

teddy99

• Recent member
MC 12 stopped working - cpu 60% eh?
« on: October 23, 2008, 04:18:15 pm »

I hope someone can help.  I've had MC12 v12.0.534 working fine for ages (using cinemar musiclobby too).  But now it's harly working at all - it's really really slow and when I check task manager Mediacentre12 is sitting at 60% or so.  It stopped working properly 2 days ago which is a pain because it's used constantly (was!).   I downloaded and reinstalled v12 but still no difference.  I'm reluctant to uninstall and then reinstall as I've spent weeks and weeks getting my library right and I'm worried about loosing it.

What tips can anyone give as to how I can investigate and fix?

Cheers

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: MC 12 stopped working - cpu 60% eh?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2008, 04:30:00 pm »

I had a problem with a really sluggish machine for a while.  It turned out to be the Microsoft PIO problem.  If Microsoft detects read errors, Windows can automatically switch the drive from DMA to PIO and it is a terrible performance hit.

In my case, changing the drive back to DMA made the problem go away.  Try a google search for more.

teddy99

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2008, 05:13:12 pm »

thanks, sounded like a good plan, but I checked and the setting are all DMA if available.

Seems to be just MC12 that's hanging, everything else is ok (I think!)

any tips anyone?

Listener

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2008, 09:59:42 pm »

teddy99,

Can you be more specific about how MC is behaving?

- Does the UI react very slowly to a click or a keystroke?

- If so, is it slow from the time you start MC or does it behave normally for awhile and then become sluggish?
   (I have noticed that MC seems to do lots of disk I/O after it is started.  The UI can seem very sluggish until MC finishes this activity.  For me, after MC finishes that period of heavy disk I/O, the UIO is very responsive.

- Is the sluggish behavior connected with Disk I/O?

- Is the sluggish behavior associated with a particular action you perform?

- If you use MC directly rather than through cinemar musiclobby, is MC sluggish?

- What did you do to MC or to your system 2 days ago?

Some info about your system would be useful. (processor. memory, laptop or desktop, llocAtion of the music files and the library files, number of music files in your library and the format - FLAC, MP3, etc.)

Someone might be able to help if your can characterize the problem in more detail.

Bill

teddy99

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2008, 09:44:53 am »

Hey,

Here are some details:

MC is sluggish all the time from the moment it starts, and it doesnt recover, even after a couple of days.  The UI is real slow, like when I go to the menu at the top like 'tools' when I click it it takes about 15 seconds for it to respond. All things, play, stop, playlist select, etc.

I am running musiclobby but for me to investigate, I've not called it, I'm just running from jriver at the mo although of course the plugin is enabled.

I cant be sure what I did to my system as I've been doing a lot of things lately - agh!

Desktop - xp pro, 3ghz dual core. 2gb memory. about 200 CD's all in MP3 format stored in shared docs - shared music

Hope someone can help.

Thanks

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2008, 10:00:22 am »

Disable MusicLobby.  Uninstall would be preferred.

A virus checker can sometimes have this effect.

More ideas in the "Weird problems" thread in my signature.
Pages: [1]   Go Up