INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: No DVD audio in MC [solved]  (Read 1218 times)

miga2007

• Recent member
No DVD audio in MC [solved]
« on: October 25, 2008, 06:12:17 am »

Hi there.  I'm evaluating MC12 and very impressed with the application and its' associated forum. I have one issue however, and whilst I have read the articles on Directshow, I am still a little confused.

All my ripped DVD folders on my hard drive play perfectly within Windows Media Center itself (under Vista Home Premium). MC plays the video no problems but I get no sound (CD audio works fine however)?  I would've thought that if WMC could play the audio properly, then so would MC ?   Do I still need to download CCCP ?  One thing I have noticed is MC is set to use Microsoft MPEG-1/DD audio decoder, but I believe I need MPEG-2 ?   Is WMC using an inbuilt MPEG-2 decoder to play DVD audio which is not available to external apps such as MC12 ?

At the moment I am just testing on my PC with stereo speakers - I will be running MC12 through HDMI to my Plasma TV and optical outputs to Pre-Amp.

The other interesting point is MC12 is set to use the Microsoft Video decoder and yet appears to play DVD video more clearly and sharper than WMC?  If both apps are using the same video decoder why does MC12 look better on my 22" Plasma PC monitor?  Not that I'm complaining of course, I would just like to know how MC12 performs this bit of magic :)

Hopefully someone can help with my query, I look forward to hooking up the new HTPC (when I finish building it) and learning the intricacies of MC12 !!

Thanks again.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: No DVD audio in MC
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2008, 07:09:31 am »

Try CCCP.  It usually fixes problems like this.

WMP is also a DirectShow player, so if it works with WMP, but not with MC, it's just that the filters being used by the two players are different.

miga2007

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2008, 07:53:31 am »

Ok, thanks Jim I'll try CCCP and also look into this filter construction a bit more ...

miga2007

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2008, 08:08:40 am »

Thanks Jim, all is working now.  Now to experiment and see how badly I can stuff things up by tweaking :)

As a side comment, MC12 is playing my ripped DVD files significantly sharper than WMC - very happy with it!  The true test will no doubt come once I hook the new PC up to the hi-fi gear and plasma - in the meantime some study on Directshow and codecs ...

Thanks again
Pages: [1]   Go Up