INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Importing music ,recognizing the album field  (Read 2075 times)

Joey B

• Recent member
Importing music ,recognizing the album field
« on: October 25, 2008, 10:33:59 am »

I rip my cd's to \my music\artist\album\artist-track #-track title . I also add a folder.jpg with album art . I rip in wav format .

When I import a rip to MJ it never recognizes the album name , I have to go back and do a "fill properties from filename " on each rip . Why does MJ not recognize the album name ? What steps must I take during import so that MJ recognizes all my fields .

Thanks
Joey B

that_stevens_guy

• Recent member
Re: Importing music ,recognizing the album field
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2008, 11:33:12 pm »

Can .wav take id3 data? If you rip with MJ you could just use the internet lookup, works with 95% of my albums so far, even for the cover art.

Listener

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2008, 12:09:35 am »

MJ normally gets file infiormation from tags inside music files.  Your WAV files don't have album, artist and other tags that MJ can use.  (No standard.)

MJ provides a command for transferring file information from the file names to library fields.  Select a group of files and right click on them.  In the menu that appears, select Library tools and then "File properties from filename."  A dialog appears with a place for you to specify a template for the directory part of the path name and a template for the rest of the file name.

Try out the command on one or a few files and after you are comfortable with it, use the command on the rest iof your files.

This illustrates a reason for preferring the Flac or APE lossless formats over WAV format. Once the tags are in the Flac files, they go with the file; they don't get lost when you move files or re-create an MJ library on another computer.  While MJ provides tools for backing up and restoring a library (and fixing references to files that are in a different place), having the tag information inside the file makes your library more robust.

Bill

that_stevens_guy

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2008, 01:31:59 am »

This illustrates a reason for preferring the Flac or APE lossless formats over WAV format. Once the tags are in the Flac files, they go with the file; they don't get lost when you move files or re-create an MJ library on another computer.  While MJ provides tools for backing up and restoring a library (and fixing references to files that are in a different place), having the tag information inside the file makes your library more robust.

Yes, I was going to suggest FLAC, its the one I use for all my CD rips and I find it great. Especially when they are half the size of a WAV, I think FLAC simply creates a variable bitrate, in turn reducing the file size.

Joey B

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2008, 09:37:55 am »

Thanks Listener for the reply .

That is how i'm getting my files set up correctly now . I just thought I was doing something wrong , since MJ wasn't doing it automatically .  :'(

I havn't tried flac yet , but I did try apple lossless  . The difference between wav and ALAC was not dramatic , but I could hear a slight sharpening of the transients and a very slight loss of air around the instruments . Since I'm going to eventually use this in a high definition system , I think I'll stick to WAV . I didn't think this would be quite this much work . :P

Thanks
Joey

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2008, 10:06:52 am »

I havn't tried flac yet , but I did try apple lossless  . The difference between wav and ALAC was not dramatic , but I could hear a slight sharpening of the transients and a very slight loss of air around the instruments.

Apple Lossless is lossless. The original source PCM data is recreated when ALAC is decoded. Possibly your playback system used differently set decoders for Apple Lossless and Wave. (MJ uses QuickTime or a DirectShow filter for decoding ALAC and, for instance, the playback volume level may be affected.)

When you play internally decoded lossless formats like APE or FLAC with Media Jukebox the output that is send to the sound device is identical with the output from the source wave files. There can't be any audible difference.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Joey B

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2008, 06:36:27 pm »

Thanks for the reply Alex . I'm sure your right . It must be a volumn change .

Joey
Pages: [1]   Go Up