INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tagging problems  (Read 2724 times)

HTPC4ME

• Citizen of the Universe
  • LIFE IS A RADIO... CRANK IT UP TO 11!
Tagging problems
« on: October 25, 2008, 11:58:28 am »

well as many of you may know i been with you since before version 10....

And have all my music in jriver.. well i have never used smartlists and after playing with them the last week i really love what is possible here.

ive ran into alot of issues with my tags\lack of tagging

i have over 200,000 mp3's and when choosing certain views Artist, album etc.. I've noticed it's a nightmare

what do you guys do for tagging your files...Batch Wise

I noticed when going to artists i have multiple artists with the same name example... 2pac, 2pac feat, 2pacft, etc... is there a easy way to rename all these so only one artist of 2 pac would show up just once!?

Also ALOT of my collections example...  timelife collections i've noticed that the name is...  111  John Travolta - Greased Lightnin'  and artist says decades and album says Wow that was the 70's

Well thats wrong according to proper taggin the name should be Greased Lightnin', artist should be john travolta, and album should be Decades 50's,60's,70's, 80's, 90,s wow that was the 70's cd1

is there any way to fix all of these files by batching them?  Take out the 101-700 etc... or am i stuck at doing each one, one by one?

is there away in jriver to add to the names of multiple files.. im new to this and have always used flash renamer.. but with flash renamer i have to open every folder but then i can add letters\words to all those files within that folder.. is this possible with jriver? and if so how do i find the rules? meaning add number in position.. or add this name at position for all selected files...

ty for any help on this.

Mr ChriZ

• :-D
Re: tagging nightmare.. what have i done to myself
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2008, 12:38:27 pm »

I noticed when going to artists i have multiple artists with the same name example... 2pac, 2pac feat, 2pacft, etc... is there a easy way to rename all these so only one artist of 2 pac would show up just once!?

You could select them all then in the tag window just change the Artist for all of them to 2pac.

ProblemChild

• Junior Woodchuck
  • But I don't wanna be the same as everybody else...
Re: tagging nightmare.. what have i done to myself
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2008, 01:21:54 pm »

I use these fields:

ArtistI always use this field for the most generic names, since that makes them easier to find on my IPOD. For instance, all Janis Joplin albums are listed
under 'Joplin, Janis' - even the Big Brother & The Holding Company albums. To accurately keep track of the artists for those albums, I use
other fields. That way on my IPOD all of her songs appear together in 1 place, since [Artist] is (if it's not a mix album) the
field [Album Artist(auto)] uses and will therefore be used on the IPOD as 'Artist'.  The rest of the fields here are all user-created and list-type.
Album Artists:Where I enter all the artists associated with this *album* (not just 1 song). Using the above example, *this* is where I would
enter it as 'Big Brother & The Holding Company', since that's the name appearing on the album. If 2 artists are listed, I enter them both here.
Song Artists:This is where I place names of artists who contributed to a single song (or at least not the whole album). If one of the tracks on a Big Brother
album was listed as "I don't want a pickle, featuring Arlo Guthrie", I'd enter this (for this one track):

Artist:Joplin, Janis
AlbumArtists: Big Brother & The Holding Company
Song Artists: Guthrie, Arlo

Cover Artists:If this is a tribute album or song, say like the album 'Encomium' (a tribute to Zep by multiple artists), then I put 'Led Zeppelin' in this field,
so later when I look under 'Zep' these songs will show up.
Aliases:Any names I want to be able to use (in my library, not the IPOD) to find this album or song. For instance, any songs by the Jackson 5 would
have 'Jackson, Michael' in this field, so when I look under 'Jackson, Michael', in addition to his solo albums, these appear as well.
All Artists:this is a auto-calculated field: it takes all of the artists' names in the fields above (except 'Artist') and combines them into one entry. T
hen I can use this field in a view pane and find anything I want under any of the above names. Here's the expression I use for my user-field 'AlbumArtists':

Code: [Select]
=ListCombine(ListCombine(ListCombine([AlbumArtists],[Aliases]),[Song Artists]), [Cover Artists])&DataType=[List]

So for example, part of our fake Big Bro album:

Track#ArtistNameAlbumArtistsSongArtistsCoverArtistsAliasesAllArtists
--------------------------------------------------------------------
1Joplin, Janis      Turtle BluesBig Bro..         Joplin, Janis      Big Bro..;Joplin, Janis
2Joplin, Janis      SummertimeBig Bro..         Joplin, Janis      Big Bro..;Joplin, Janis
3Joplin, Janis      Pickle Song, feat Arlo..Big BroGuthrie, Arlo      Joplin, Janis      Big Bro..;Joplin, Janis; Guthrie, Arlo
4Joplin, Janis      Ball & ChainBig Bro..         Joplin, Janis      Big Bro..;Joplin, Janis

Now everything on my IPOD comes up under Joplin, Janis, making it easy to find. In MC, though, I can find these songs in many ways:
In the view pane 'Artists' I can find all of the 'Big Brother' albums by looking under 'Big Brother'
The best part, though, for me is that in the view pane 'All Artists', I can find all of these songs by looking under either 'Joplin, Janis' OR 'Big Bro..'
If I wanted to find them under 'Pearl', I'd just add 'Pearl' to the Aliases tag. Also, when I select 'Guthrie, Arlo', in addition to showing me his solo albums,
this track will also appear there (or the entire album if you want).

This is not as much extra work as it seems - it usually only involves using 'move/copy fields' (from the popup menu\Library Tools) to copy from [Artist] to [AlbumArtists].
Most of the time that's it. Then if there are any aliases I want to add, I just select the entire album, type them into [Aliases] and they auto-fill in. The only real
time-consumer is when extra artists are involved, figuring out where and how to list them. For me, the benefits of being able to find my music in any number of ways makes
it well worth it.

the name is...  111  John Travolta - Greased Lightnin'  and artist says decades and album says Wow that was the 70's

Well thats wrong according to proper taggin the name should be Greased Lightnin', artist should be john travolta, and album should be Decades 50's,60's,70's, 80's, 90,s wow that was the 70's cd1

is there any way to fix all of these files by batching them?  Take out the 101-700 etc...

Regarding editing columns of songs, and replacing/adding information,

For adding 'newtext' at the beginning/end of a field, you can select the whole column, enter '=newtext[fieldname]' or '=[fieldname]newtext'and it will
auto-fill. For example, all of my mix-albums are named '[MA] TheRealAlbumName'. After I import a CD - "Hits of the 70's" for instance - I click anywhere
on the 'Album' column, press Ctrl-A to highlight all of the songs, then press F2 to edit. I then type '=[MA] [Album]' and press enter. MC automatically
prepends '[MC] ' to every entry.

Track#   Album
-----   -----
   1   "Hits of.."
   2   "Hits of.."
   3   "Hits of.."

after entering '=[MA] [Album]'
becomes

Track#   Album
-----   -----
   1   "[MA] Hits of.."
   2   "[MA] Hits of.."
   3   "[MA] Hits of.."

In the middle of a field, you can use the Mid() expression, ie =Mid([Album], 3, 2) returns 2 characters from the 'Album' field, starting at the 3rd character.
Most of the time, what I need to do is remove text from either the beginning or end of a field. If I wanted to remove the '[MA] ' prefix from all of my albums,
I would select/edit them as above, then enter '=Mid([Album], 4, -1)' where '-1' tells MC you want it to fetch ALL of the remaining characters. You can also
combine these. For instance,

Track#   Album
-----   -----
   1   "Hits of the 70's"
   2   "Hits of the 70's"
   3   "Hits of the 70's"

after entering '=[MA] Mid([Album],1,3)Mid([Album],7,-1)'
becomes

Track#   Album
-----   -----
   1   "[MA] its the 70's"
   2   "[MA] its the 70's"
   3   "[MA] its the 70's"

Because I do this so often, I've created some auto-calculated fields to make this easier (Options \ Library & Folders \ Manage Library Fields).
Each field is nothing more than a shorthand for using the Mid() expression in a particular field.

For me, I'm usually removing text from the beginning of either the [Name], [Album], or [Artist] field, so that's what they all do - they all remove text
from the beginning of one of these fields.  They're named according to the field they edit:
'n1','n2','n3'... (for the name field) 'al1', 'al2', 'al3'... (for the album field) and 'ar1', 'ar2', 'ar3'... (for 'artist'). The digit tells me how
many characters will be removed (I use 1 through 5).

The 'al4' field, for instance, removes the first 4 characters from the [Album] field.
It's just a user-created field that contains the expression '=Mid([Album],4,-1)'
The 'n2' field corresponds to the expression '=Mid([Name],2,-1), 'ar2'- 2 chars from [Artist], and so on...

The advantage here is speed. Now that I've created these fields, I can use them to type fewer characters.
In the example here - removing the prefixed '[MA] ' from my 'Album' field, I highlight everything, press F2 to edit, then type

'=[al5]'        I get the same result as if I'd typed
'=Mid([Album],5,-1)'

it's only a few characters, but going through a whole library it makes a big difference.

Hope that makes sense and helps some  :)

HTPC4ME

Re: Tagging problems
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2008, 02:14:33 pm »

hi chris, and problem

thanks for the replies... I'm still working on this trying to figure it out\interpret your replies...
chris your idea seems simplist but for those interested who the featured artist is then they wouldnt know.

And problem.. Your way sounds like it works.. but ive looked at your post a few times now (and tried cross referencing to get a better understanding) I am still trying to figure out what you mean.. by mid? and....

Artist (built-in) 2pac featuring artist2 
      Album Artists (list field) 2pac;artist2 via Move/Copy
      Song Artists (list field) 2pac;artist2 via Move/Copy - same but for 2nd artists not on entire album, just this song
      Aliases(list field) other names you want this song to appear under 
      All Artists (list field) 2pac;artist2 An expression field auto-calculated via ListCombine

and the would be, ie =mid([album],0,3) helloMid([album],3,-1)

it takes [album] = "MyAlbum" and turns it to "MyA hellolbum" = [acdc] = myalbum(dont get what my album means?) and turns it into MyA hellobum (don't understand this either... sorry :( )

ProblemChild

• Junior Woodchuck
  • But I don't wanna be the same as everybody else...
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2008, 08:08:14 am »

edited my entry above..

HTPC4ME

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2008, 12:58:12 am »

hi problemchild
i'm tagging like a madman here.. but a lil confussed

Artist: Joplin, Janis
AlbumArtists:  Big Brother & The Holding Company
Song Artists:  Guthrie, Arlo

under media mode artists

we have artists named 2 Pac, 2 Pac Feat. Outlawz,  2pac, 2pac Feat. Outlaws, 2pac, Snoop Dog
i'm trying to get one artist named 2pac. but be able to have all the featuring under it..

so i'm trying to rename as you showed (2 Pac Feat. Outlawz)

i want 2 pac to show all his albums and all albums he's been in... BUT i also want all the featuring artists to be artist too,  and show there albums they've been in!?

there should only be one 2 pac under Artists.. but yet when i click on 2pac it should show the featuring?!

and then also all the featuring when i click on them as artist it should show those albums that have 2 pac in them!?  or am i mistaken?

I'm confussed on how you are accomplishing this?

If i change artist to 2 pac... then it deletes feat. from everywhere...

If i change AlbumArtist to 2pac it also changes everything to 2 pac leaving out outlawz.
how can we make 2Pac show as artist and still search for outlawz and find them? as a secondary artist?
we got the 2pac thing figured out but can not seem to keep featured artists searchable.

HTPC4ME

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2008, 07:31:30 pm »

BUMP   please

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2008, 08:17:09 pm »

I don't think I know the answer.

If you used a single list-style field for artists, it might work.  Media Center handles list-style fields pretty well.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

HTPC4ME

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2008, 02:08:58 pm »

Well Matt Havent you ever ran across an issue where you've had an artist. who's starred in another song?

or dont you have soundtracks? or compilations?

If you do.. how do you name them so that when ya chose artist view you only see one Ozzy and when ya click on ozzy's artist name you see all his albums, and then you will see one seperate song ozzy with lita ford close my eyes forever

and then once you get to L's and lita ford you would see all her albums and then a single song with Lita ford and Ozzy Close My eyes Forever.

or do you just remove the second artist? if thats the case then one never knows who joined the artist in singing the song with them!?
Pages: [1]   Go Up