INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Request: Allow gap between albums  (Read 1196 times)

JimB

• Recent member
Request: Allow gap between albums
« on: October 26, 2008, 05:25:18 am »

When I have listened to an album I find it disconcerting to have a new one commence immediately, as it will do if I've "Added to Playing Now". Many albums have a "resonance" which it is nice to enjoy and maybe think about before crowding it out with another.

What I've done to workaround this is to make some blank MP3s of 30seconds, 1 minute, 2 minutes and 4 minutes long which I add to Playing Now between albums.

But if the feature existed in MC, it would be more convenient. I'd prefer to be able to set a default of 1 minute, but easily modifiable for different situations.

Thanks for considering this.

Jim B.

p7389

• World Citizen
Re: Request: Allow gap between albums
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2008, 07:16:45 am »

Sounds quite nice to me.

The effect of the final track from Jim O'Rourke's Insignificance is immense as contrasted to the silence that should follow it... If something else starts it is totally ruined.

Though, personally, I usually only queu one album at a time anyway. But still, would be a nice function.
[img width= height= alt=My Top Albums]http://lastfm.obsessive-media.de/3month/7x1/p7389.jpeg[/img]

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2008, 08:21:00 am »

You can use the following playback options:

"Switch tracks: Standard (gapped) - 16s"
and
"Use Gapless for sequental album tracks"
and untick
"Do not play silence (leading and trailing)"

The maximum duration of the additional gap is 16 seconds, but that is actully a relatively long time when you are hearing nothing and waiting the next album to begin.

I suppose the developers could add a couple of longer gap options if 16 seconds is really not enough for you. Personally I think this feature could well have just an empty dialog box in which the user could type any duration.

Another feature with predefined duration options is the Preview Mode. It would be more usable if the user could just type the desired preview duration and start position. I don't quite understand why it has to have a long list of predefined options, which may still not do exactly what the user wants.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

p7389

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2008, 09:36:46 am »

Well, if such a function would be imnplemented, it should not be on a track basis.. Because then that would mess with playlists containing stuff from various albums (I guess..?).. It should compare with the library and if an entire album is in the playlist (in sequence), then it should insert the specified pause before moving on whatever follows it.

This isn't important at all to me, I admit, I'm just arguing  ;)
[img width= height= alt=My Top Albums]http://lastfm.obsessive-media.de/3month/7x1/p7389.jpeg[/img]
Pages: [1]   Go Up