INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Flickr uploader  (Read 1726 times)

park

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I wish I had more to say!
Flickr uploader
« on: October 28, 2008, 11:30:08 am »

I'm using this for the first time tonight. It's pretty cool. Here are a couple of observations:

"Additional tags to apply to all"
I thought this would apply the values in fields that you specify as flickr "tags". Eg, I input the following:
[Country] [Area] [Places]
expecting those field's values to be added as flickr tags, but unfortunately it literally tagged my files on flickr with those strings.

It would be really great if we were able to do what I was expecting.

Resize Images
This would be more useful if you could specify just the value of the shortest dimension. Eg, You want to limit the size of all of your pictures to 1024, so MC automatically makes landscape pics 1024px high, and portrait photos 1024px wide.

Re-Uploading
I'm not sure how much power MC has over this, but it would really useful if when we edit a playlist of images and re-upload it to the same set (and to groups) MC would give us an option to "overwrite previous files" like it does when you upload photos to a MC Pix01 image gallery.

DarkPenguin

Re: Flickr uploader
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2008, 05:06:51 pm »

I always want to limit the longest dimension.  So that portrait images will be no taller than my screen and landscape images no wider.

The tag thing is a maybe.  It was really designed for something like "Ruth's Party".  Since I generally only use keywords for organizing I never even thought of making that field a db field.

I don't think I'm currently keeping enough information to reupload files.  It is definitely something I was thinking about.

I'm using this for the first time tonight. It's pretty cool. Here are a couple of observations:

"Additional tags to apply to all"
I thought this would apply the values in fields that you specify as flickr "tags". Eg, I input the following:
[Country] [Area] [Places]
expecting those field's values to be added as flickr tags, but unfortunately it literally tagged my files on flickr with those strings.

It would be really great if we were able to do what I was expecting.

Resize Images
This would be more useful if you could specify just the value of the shortest dimension. Eg, You want to limit the size of all of your pictures to 1024, so MC automatically makes landscape pics 1024px high, and portrait photos 1024px wide.

Re-Uploading
I'm not sure how much power MC has over this, but it would really useful if when we edit a playlist of images and re-upload it to the same set (and to groups) MC would give us an option to "overwrite previous files" like it does when you upload photos to a MC Pix01 image gallery.

park

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2008, 09:39:49 pm »

For me the "tags" feature would be a plus (it would make me all warm inside knowing that my flickr pics were as easy to search as my MC library  :) ), but the "Re-upload" feature would be a lifesaver. Yesterday I re-uploaded some images and had to go to the group where I had added them too and delete each one by hand and then re-add the new ones. I also had to manually delete them from my photostream using Organizr.

park

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2008, 08:34:49 am »

One more thing, would it be possible to change the copyright license you apply to each batch of photos that you upload? I have a reasonably loose creative commons license on my images by default, but for certain people/family images I either dont want to or dont have permission to give away the photo to others. I would need to upload those images outisde of MC at the moment, to avoid the CC license being applied.

DarkPenguin

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2008, 09:48:30 am »

Looks like it is possible ...

http://www.flickr.com/services/api/flickr.photos.licenses.setLicense.html

If I get a chance I'll see what I can do.

park

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2008, 11:49:35 am »

Cool.

Really, top marks for this integration. This is a major feature for photographers. I do hope that you've contacted Flickr and spoken about a mention for MC on their website. They seem to have no qualms about recommending other pieces of software for photo organization and uploading if you look at their "extend" section.

Re: the images being uploaded in the wrong order (reverse). Is this a recognised bug? Shall I keep posting it until you get around to fixing it? Happens for facebook too.

DarkPenguin

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2008, 01:45:26 pm »

I don't know.  What is it doing?  It uploads the list of files in reverse order.  That way the first item on your list ends up being the top item on flickr.  Is that not working?
Pages: [1]   Go Up