INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Anything compelling for audio-only users?  (Read 4124 times)

mesue

• Galactic Citizen
Anything compelling for audio-only users?
« on: October 28, 2008, 06:16:25 pm »

Are there any compelling reasons to look at MC13 for someone who only uses the audio features of MC? I was under the impression that the enhancements were going to be centered around video/photos/TV. Any chance of a media server that works with DirecTV DVRs with MediaShare?

(I don't know why I am asking, though... it really peeves me when companies ask testers to pay while a product is still in beta.)
Sue

rick.ca

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Anything compelling for audio-only users?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2008, 06:58:45 pm »

...doing the beta testing and then being asked to pay is much worse.  ;)

221bBS

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2008, 07:51:32 pm »

(I don't know why I am asking, though... it really peeves me when companies ask testers to pay while a product is still in beta.)

I was happy to pay $5 less for my upgrade... doesn't mean I'm gonna use it yet  ;D

imugli

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2008, 08:07:08 pm »

Personally, I'm happy to pay to upgrade to Beta and test things out. These guys do great work and should be supported. Feedback is what makes MC so great - it get's listened to and acted on.

mesue

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2008, 10:34:11 pm »

okay, okay... I understand now it is more of a special pre-order offer than paying to beta test. Can we get back to my main question... is there anything compelling for audio-only users?
Sue

prod

• Play nice
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2008, 04:53:25 am »

I've been using 13 for only a few days now and I've noticed mainly that the Customise View options have changed very much for the better. Other than that, I'm not exactly sure what the differences are. There's a 3D view. The jump from 11 to 12 was certainly more palpable.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2008, 05:13:38 am »

The development of MC12 started in June 2006. The first public betas were released in August. The development from "beta" to "stable release" was more or less gradual. There was never a big release party. JRiver have created the amazing number of 534 MC12 builds (and that means literally 534 compiled full programs.). Many of the builds were released publicly and almost every build was tested by the beta team (only a few were pulled before the beta test release). The full change log is available here: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=38834.0

I'd say that since fall 2006 MC12 have been fully usable and more advanced than the previous version.

MC13 has been through quite similar early stages. It has been available as a free preview for some time. Now the early users can take advantage of the upgrade price offer. A newly purchased license (upgrade or not) is valid for MC12 and MC13.

For now, the users can continue to use and enjoy MC12 and occasionally try a new MC13 build and post comments/bug reports/requests etc. Some users have already moved on and uninstalled MC12.

Regarding to the subject of this thread, MC13 has a completely redesigned MP3 tagging system. It has new output modes for Vista and naturally the many interface changes are available with audio.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2008, 05:39:38 am »

The jump from 11 to 12 was certainly more palpable.

MC12 had a new excellent skin. I think that caused a strong placebo effect. It really wasn't that different in the beginning.

Naturally the personally experienced amount of changes and differencies varied a lot depending on when the upgrade happened. As I explained, the active development cycle of MC12 lasted about two years.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

MadJewDisaster

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2008, 05:51:57 am »

Well , not sure what is missing from Audio since MC12
The only one things i can see missing is 'Verify Data After Burn' and the SHN decoder
At rip -convert-burn  level there is all , and more than any other program out of this 'Verify' thing [ a Nero only feature for now ]

The way you can view your library is really, really cool , in fact , the reason why i got the upgrade.

Still have to dig the new tagging system

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2008, 06:00:02 am »

The new MP3 tagging system is mostly transparent to the old users. It makes easier to import and export custom user tags from/to other programs because MC13 uses now the so called TXXX ID3v2 tag frames instead of the proprietary comment (aka COMM) frames. MC13 can still read the old comment frames, but it writes the new TXXX frames.

In addition the Album Artist field is now compatible with many devices and other programs because MC13 reads and writes the TPE2 ID3v2 and TXXX:Album Artist frames simultaneously.

MadJewDisaster

• World Citizen
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2008, 06:06:43 am »

WOW  !!!!
A second reason to update - special or full price for the mater-

A small question
Does MC 13 'convert 'old proprietary comment' to TXXX frames on the fly?
Does it convert at all in fact  ?

Thanks

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2008, 06:13:11 am »

It does not start physical tag writing anyhow more automatically than MC12 did.

Whenever MC13 writes MP3 tags it uses the new format.

Naturally you can use the "Update Tags (from library)" tool if you want to manually run a tag conversion process.

MadJewDisaster

• World Citizen
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2008, 06:41:13 am »

thanks
I will do an update from library

Frobozz

• There is a small mailbox here.
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2008, 07:14:22 am »

MC 13 added support for WASAPI if you're running Vista (WASAPI is a Vista only thing).  It's an alternative to using ASIO for high quality audio playback.

bspachman

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2008, 07:53:50 am »

...also WASAPI exclusive mode...

(although I think that's what's causing trouble with my installation of Airfoil. I'll get around to starting another thread about that...)

brad

prod

• Play nice
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2008, 02:44:13 pm »

MC12 had a new excellent skin. I think that caused a strong placebo effect. It really wasn't that different in the beginning.

Yes that's true, but you mention that like it's trivial. The change in skin and the other UI changes (the root view items, action window being rehashed) made it look like a different version. 13 looks no different to 12. Perception can be important, placebo induced or not.

That said however, I believe it's well worth upgrading for the new view customisation and the continued excellent support.

tcman41

• Sound Surfing!
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2008, 03:15:05 pm »

I too only use MC12 for audio, can someone post some screenshots of MC13 using the customization views?

Thanks
TC  :)

mesue

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2008, 04:15:01 pm »

The new MP3 tagging system is mostly transparent to the old users. It makes easier to import and export custom user tags from/to other programs because MC13 uses now the so called TXXX ID3v2 tag frames instead of the proprietary comment (aka COMM) frames. MC13 can still read the old comment frames, but it writes the new TXXX frames.

In addition the Album Artist field is now compatible with many devices and other programs because MC13 reads and writes the TPE2 ID3v2 and TXXX:Album Artist frames simultaneously.

I wonder if someone who uses MC13 would be willing to send me a file that has been tagged with rating, review, and bio using the new tagging system? I am curious if the information will still be readable via SqueezeCenter. The current way, SqueezeCenter imports reviews and bios just fine as a comment, and I have a Custom Scan plugin which imports the ratings.

It does not have to be a full song... could just be a silent MP3, or a snippet. Any takers? PM me for my e-mail address.
Sue

MrHaugen

« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2008, 02:56:07 am »

Looks are important! For many. Just look how popular OSx have become. You think it's only because it's easy to use?
There have been several requests for a new smashing skin. No one have said that there WILL be a new skin, but one of they're posts certainly gave that impression.
J River have said that if there will, it will be introduced further down the build line. After the MC13 have gone off the beta stage I guess.
I really hope this will happen, as the skin (especialy in Theater View) is far behind other competitors imo.

On really good feature of MC13 is the links that make you search artists, albums etc on the web really easy.
Another one is the 3D wall as some mentioned here. It's cool, and starts to get quite functional.
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

Skeezix

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2008, 12:24:56 pm »

After reading the feature list for version 13, it appears to me that only dvd and/or tv users will see new features over version 12...

As a mainly-audio user, I can't really see how version 12 can be improved - it's already a blockbuster program!!!
* HP Pavilion Desktop 510-p114
* Windows 10 Home 22H2 19045.3996
* Firefox 122; Thunderbird 115.6.1

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2008, 12:38:06 pm »

On really good feature of MC13 is the links that make you search artists, albums etc on the web really easy.

Another one is the 3D wall as some mentioned here. It's cool, and starts to get quite functional.

I would really miss MC13's Link Bar if I went back to MC12.

MC13 is also faster with large libraries.

jgreen

« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2008, 07:13:10 pm »

Talking about MC12, which as Alex points out DID start out slowly, and yet ended up having a mind-blowing array of new features. 

I remember the day MC 12.0.029 came out, which was the first Alpha released to testing, IIRC.  The program was fairly stable, but the only new thing about it was the skin, "Noire", which we all liked but more or less had us scratching our heads.   Better still, JimH was warning us that MC12 "may not have that many new features in it"--the implication being we better appreciate the new skin. 

Well, as time permitted the J River crewcuts started ladling in some really wild new stuff, and 12 soon became the high bar against which we're now judging 13, just like we judged 12 against 11.  At this point I can't imagine going back to 12, 13 is so cool.  Tagging, cover art, links, speed speed speed, etc.  And best yet, 13 is not much further along than 12 was when it only had a new skin.

Still and all, I won't soon forget the sight of JimH trying to construct a 30-point feature list for MC 12.0.29 out of the words "has a new skin".   
Pages: [1]   Go Up