INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: IMDB availability  (Read 9237 times)

Dark_Wizard

• Recent member
IMDB availability
« on: October 29, 2008, 09:44:43 am »

I cannot find anything definitive regarding IMDB integration for movies in MC13. I am looking for a product that will provide IMDB info on my PS3 for movies and the option to click and stream the video to my PS3. Is this planned or already integrated? I see many requests for it in MC12. I am using the demo version of MC12 and see nothing about it.

Thanks for any info/help!

Bob

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: IMDB availability
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2008, 10:51:47 am »

Welcome to Interact.  MC13 has a new link bar.  When you're in a video view, you will see this:

Dark_Wizard

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2008, 12:57:07 pm »

Thanks for the quick response. Ok, I was able to download MC13 and running it in trial mode. I see what you posted and what I was really after was if there are any plans on fully integrating IMDB, etc.. to automatically d/l info for all your movies without user intervention and to display this at all times when viewing movies when in "Theater View" for instance.

rick.ca

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2008, 02:33:20 pm »

Not there yet. You may be interested in Movie Database Development—to see how some of us are dealing with this in the meantime.

Dark_Wizard

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2008, 03:15:41 pm »

Not there yet. You may be interested in Movie Database Development—to see how some of us are dealing with this in the meantime.

I'm to assume then it is slated for future versions? And if so how much longer? I read the thread and find it interesting as I use DVD Profiler as well. I also did some googling an found many IMDB integration scripts which should help out the dev team immensily. I will look into PVD for now but my goal here was to replace Tversity (you get what you pay for!) with a Media Management Utility that provides me with everything I need (I'm not the only one looking for this either).

MrHaugen

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2008, 03:08:40 am »

I totally agree. The move database integration in MC is close to non existent.
I use DVD Profiler my self, and it's really annoying when you have to use 2 applications seperatly like this.
Several of my friends also ask for this feature, but I had to dissapoint them one at a time.

Looking at series and movies on a Media Center computer is so normal today that this is a thing that should be adressed.
I'm not asking for all the functions of DVD Profiler right away, but a way to download Cover art, reviews/plot, ratings etc, would help very much.
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

imugli

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2008, 03:30:09 am »

I've put my hand up for interaction with DVDProfiler before as well. I'd love to be able to associate all the DVDs I've ripped to my hard drive to the DVD Profiler xml file, or vice versa, something like...

Have Media Centre import the xml file, then have the ability to select if the movie is ripped to my HDD (in which case I could enter a path for MC to play from) or if it is in fact on DVD, in which case MC would ask me to insert the DVD...

I know you can do similar with Cinemar's DVDLobby (I know I know, that's an x hundred $$$ piece of software...)

Now that MC has EPG, this is probably the only other thing I'd like to see.

Dark_Wizard

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2008, 06:25:53 am »

What I have seen thus far with MC is great but the lack of integration with any internet database for videos and seeing this request made time after time really blows my mind that it hasn't been added. Can a dev please respond with why this hasn't been approached?

You have a great product and I can see this really taking off with this integration, c'mon for $40 I have no problem spending that on your product with this piece of the puzzle added but without it I would stick to the free product until either you or someone else can provide this. You know I'm not the only one.....

gappie

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2008, 06:58:07 am »

I've put my hand up for interaction with DVDProfiler before as well. I'd love to be able to associate all the DVDs I've ripped to my hard drive to the DVD Profiler xml file, or vice versa, something like...

Have Media Centre import the xml file, then have the ability to select if the movie is ripped to my HDD (in which case I could enter a path for MC to play from) or if it is in fact on DVD, in which case MC would ask me to insert the DVD...

I know you can do similar with Cinemar's DVDLobby (I know I know, that's an x hundred $$$ piece of software...)

Now that MC has EPG, this is probably the only other thing I'd like to see.
im not sure if this will help you, but here is a thread about how to get info from a similar programm into mc.

:)
gab

edit... the link.. http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=47538.0

Dark_Wizard

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2008, 07:00:27 am »

im not sure if this will help you, but here is a thread about how to get info from a similar programm into mc.

:)
gab

Ok, does it allow me to select the movie and play it from there? If so, can you direct me?

Thanks.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2008, 07:04:34 am »

Why do you guys have such strong opinions about this? After all, movies are a very different thing than audio files.

I am not sure if I would like MC to include all possible details and trivia inside the database. Usually I already know the important facts of my movies and I have no problem with checking the movie details from internet or from DVD Profiler separately if I want to know more. I have only the very basic info tagged in the library.

Besides, someone else's database is not freely available to a commercial company like JRiver. I wonder how much a deal with IMDB would cost.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

gappie

« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2008, 07:13:40 am »

Ok, does it allow me to select the movie and play it from there? If so, can you direct me?

Thanks.
it was a reaction to imugli's post about importing data via a xml file.

i do not understand your question in this context. except that i forgot the link... will edit it..

im sorry

Dark_Wizard

• Recent member
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2008, 07:15:30 am »

Why do you guys have such a strong opinions about this? After all, movies are a very thing thing than audio files.

I am not sure if I would like MC to include all possible details and trivia inside the database. Usually I already know the important facts of my movies and I have no problem with checking the movie details from internet or from DVD profiler separately if I want to know more. I have only the very basic info tagged in the library.

Besides, someone else's database is not freely available to a commercial company like JRiver. I wonder how much a deal with IMDB would cost.

Here's my scenario..

I have a dedicated Home Theater and my complete DVD, HD-DVD & Blu-Ray collection ripped to my many HDD's. Alot of people come over to watch a movie with us and not everyone knows what every particular movie is about. I think adding this into Theater View would be a great addition so everyone can view details, actor and general movie info when selecting a movie for all of us to watch. There are other products out there both free and some costing hundreds of dollars that do this but don't have the flexibilty that MC has plus having all this in one app is ideal rather than using i.e. DVD Profiler or PVD.

Gathering IMDB info is NOT difficult and does not cost anything and is actually very easy, also having MC scan the directory structures that are added during setup as long as when you rip the movie you name your title as it is on your DVD, etc would make it easier to search the IMDB for movie info. I am also not saying to use someone elses database or app but juct check out the open source snipets that are on SourceForge etc... just to see how it works and then go from there.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2008, 07:47:05 am »

The developer of the popular aTagger plugin got a cease and desist letter from All Media Guide a couple of years ago:

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=32276.0

The plugin wasn't even a commercial program. I guess the situation with IMDB would not be different.

I suppose that as long the used program code can be considered to be a regular internet browser there's no problem, but when it gathers data and imports it to a local database the situation is different.

Perhaps JRiver could further develope the internet browsing features and add some of them to the Theater View. Also, they could add a module that would display additional data from library a bit like the track info visualizations can do with audio files. Then it would be up to the users populate the library fields (maybe with a third party plugin or a program that would read and convert external xml files) and MC would provide a method for displaying an info page in Theater View.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Dark_Wizard

• Recent member
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2008, 07:57:21 am »

Just looked into IMDB licensing and usage. You can view it here http://www.imdb.com/help/show_leaf?usedatasoftware. Lastly, how do other paid for apps do it? Get my point?

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2008, 08:25:27 am »

Just looked into IMDB licensing and usage. You can view it here http://www.imdb.com/help/show_leaf?usedatasoftware. Lastly, how does DVD Profiler and other paid for apps do it? Get my point?

DVD Profiler's internal database is based on user submissions. They started many years ago when the whole DVD thing was new. I don't think anyone could successfully create a new user submission based system without building it on a comprehensive existing DB.

Dark_Wizard

• Recent member
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2008, 08:29:18 am »

DVDProfiler's internal database is based on user submissions. They started many years ago when the whole DVD thing was new.

I don't think anyone could successfully create a new user submission based system without building it on a comprehensive existing DB.

True, maybe with the userbase that MC has we can start it? I would be more than willing to provide as much info as possible in an xml based file to get this started.

How about this option: Provide plugins that will pull movie info from several sources like DVD Profile, PVD, MyMovies etc and populate the info into Theater View based on what each MC user has access to.

MrHaugen

« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2008, 09:41:59 am »

IMDB license info: Only for non-commercial use. That will post a problem. Probably if it's available through a plugin as well? I'm also sceptical to the integration in MC and theater View if it's just available through a plugin.

If we look around I bet there's some databases that can be used. But, even if there aint; why not use yadb for movies as well?
Include basic tags like actors, review/plot, rating, and let the users fill the data. I'd surely use it. After importing of img, iso and so on was made possible, I think there are more people who would use this in MC.
This sort of thing would make MC a true Media Center imo.

Dark_Wizard

• Recent member
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2008, 12:13:35 pm »

IMDB license info: Only for non-commercial use. That will post a problem. Probably if it's available through a plugin as well? I'm also sceptical to the integration in MC and theater View if it's just available through a plugin.

If we look around I bet there's some databases that can be used. But, even if there aint; why not use yadb for movies as well?
Include basic tags like actors, review/plot, rating, and let the users fill the data. I'd surely use it. After importing of img, iso and so on was made possible, I think there are more people who would use this in MC.
This sort of thing would make MC a true Media Center imo.

I'm thinking the plugin may get by with IMDB as it would be used by individuals and not included with the core MC application. I'm researching free db's now and will post back, maybe I should start something in the plugins section and see if anyone is willing to help develop this and have it included as part of the MC package, just a thought.

Temeryx

• Recent member
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2008, 01:06:40 pm »

http://themoviedb.org is a new website for movie info.  It has only been up maybe a month now, and its not done yet, there are working on the api for downloading info.  Looks quite promising though.

MrHaugen

« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2008, 01:25:06 pm »

I'm thinking the plugin may get by with IMDB as it would be used by individuals and not included with the core MC application. I'm researching free db's now and will post back, maybe I should start something in the plugins section and see if anyone is willing to help develop this and have it included as part of the MC package, just a thought.

Well, that could work, but as I said I think we could possibly lose a lot of functionality and integrations if it's a plugin.
I'm hoping J River can see this need themselves soon, and implement a simple way of adding movie data to our library.

rick.ca

« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2008, 06:20:27 pm »

Others have mentioned some of the challenging issues involved in getting movie information into MC.  Sure, few are as fussy as me—they just want a synopsis, this is easy to get from IMDb. Yes, after making a considerable development investment, some users would be happy with the result some of the time. What about those of us who want a synopsis of consistent quality?  It's readily available too—but from a different source. What about non-English speaking users? IMDb is not very useful to them. Then there's the universal issue: If 6 fields of quality information were made available, a good number of users would instantly want another 6. And you could bet my 6 would be different from your 6. Remember, standards for movie meta data are not nearly as well developed as they are for music—so this lack of agreement happens more readily.

I suggest you have a look at Person Video Database. As explained in Movie Database Development, darichman has created a tool for exporting information from a PVD database as a playlist for import to MC.  So PVD can be used to download and manage movie information from a variety of sources (which are plentiful when the information is downloaded by an individual user for personal use).  Once it's set up, it takes only minutes to update all movies in the MC library.  You can probably study what darichman has done, and create the equivalent tool for DVDProfiler.

All that's required on this end are improvements to Theatre View so the information can be displayed.

darichman

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2008, 07:33:41 pm »

Hello.

There's definitely a lot of interest for movie database integration. Two important things need to happen before this is realised...

WHERE DO WE GET THE DATA?
1. Hook up to a database. I don't think YADB would work for this - no one is going to type out all the information and submit it when sources like IMDb, AMG and others already exist, sorry. For this to work, J River would need to make a deal or hook into one of the existing databases.

HOW DO WE DISPLAY THE DATA?
2. Develop specific information views. Currently, most of MCs "view" capabilities surround "finding" the file you want... not viewing information about it. We'd need a way to display all the people and film data and synopsis for a particular film. While we're browsing.

In the meantime, we worked on a workaround earlier this year to at least get this info into MC. It takes a little bit to set up, but once it's done it's done, and you only need to a simple export/import to update your data when you get new movies.

As rick mentioned, you can use one of the free software alternatives out there to download the info and then export it to MPL. For those who don't know, MC can use MPL files to retrieve database information.

Thanks again to rick.ca for recommending PVD... it's clean, simple and performs what it does really well.

Get PVD and Pull Data from your preferred database
1. Download Personal Video Database: http://www.videodb.info/forum_en/index.php?action=down
2. Import your videos: Tools > Scan Folders for New Movies > Select the folders your movies are in
3. The movies should now be imported in PVD in a list down the left hand side...
4. The titles, which will be used for lookup, will be based on the filenames, so you might need to clean up the titles if you have messy filenames (OR if you have a field in MC with the movie titles already, you can copy your MC film view into excel and then import this data into PVD: Tools > Import > Get movies from MS Excel)
5. Import metadata from your preferred database: Tools > Import > And then pick IMDb or AMG
6. To import images for your movies: Tools > Import > Get Poster from your choice (I like IMPAwards)

Rick.ca has posted some workarounds for getting the posters into MC easily: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=47538.msg325913#msg325913

Set it up for Export
In PVD, go to tools > preferences > plugins > plain text/export > add > (call it what you want) > and then copy and pase the following:
(i pulled the info from AMG, so my fields are named accordingly, but you can rename them to whatever you want)

Code: [Select]
%OPTIONS%
replace="&<->&amp;"
replace="<<->&lt;"
replace="><->&gt;"
filter="MPL Files|*.mpl"
encoding="UTF8"
%OPTIONS%
%HEAD%
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes" ?>
<MPL Version="2.0" Title="ChrisRulz">
%HEAD%
<Item>
<Field Name="Filename">{%value=27}</Field>
<Field Name="AMG Year">{%value=5}</Field>
<Field Name="AMG Genres">{%value=44}</Field>
<Field Name="Themes">{%value=46}</Field>
<Field Name="AMG Synopsis">{%value=15}</Field>
<Field Name="MPAA">{%value=6}</Field>
<Field Name="Actors">{%value=52}</Field>
<Field Name="Director">{%value=53}</Field>
</Item>
%FOOT%
</MPL>
%FOOT%

You can add as many entries of: <Field Name="XXX">{%value=YY}</Field>  as you want
(just replace my ones with the names of your fields)

Also, you can add replace=",<->;" to the template to replace commas with semicolons so genres and actors will import to list fields correctly. I prefer to leave it out and do this in MC (with Find and Replace) as some fields have actual commas in them (eg synopsis).

XXX is the name of the field in MC -- this has to match exactly or it won't import
YY is the two digit number PVD uses to refer to fields: http://www.videodb.info/forum_en/index.php?topic=766.msg1293#msg1293

Once you've picked the fields you want to import and saved the script, select the movie entries you want to export, go to tools > export > select your template and name the mpl file.

From MC, select File > Import Playlist > Open the MPL file
The appropriate fields should now be populated in MC.
For this to work properly, both the PVD and MC databases need to point to the correct path and filename for each movie file.

Hope that helps.

MrHaugen

« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2008, 09:30:00 am »

Thanks alot for the details darichman! I'll try it out.
I hope J River consider integrating a better movie database soon though.

park

• MC Beta Team
  • I wish I had more to say!
« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2008, 10:22:01 am »

Movie Posters, for a start, would make a great christmas present.
Pages: [1]   Go Up