INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Media Center not default  (Read 2053 times)

jtek

Media Center not default
« on: October 30, 2008, 01:00:16 pm »

Greetings - I am a new comer to this fantastic media player and stumbled across it in my continuing quest to find the one media player to rule them all. ;D

I finally found it - J. Rivers Media Center (MC).  Alas, I have run into a small issue that makes using this program difficult and annoying.  I apologize up front if this has been covered before.  I have spent the last hour combing over the FAQ's and searching through these forums and did not find a solution to my problem.  I am running Windows Vista Ultimate SP1.

When I install MC, all goes well as it installs with no issues and I do install running as administrator.  When I start the program, I it up to be the default for everything but images.  When I check the options, under file associations it shows my settings and matches what I did before.  The problem is - it says it is the default for audio and video formats, but Windows Media Player 11 (WMP11) opens instead.  When I check my Default Programs, MC is not listed and WMP11 states it has all of its defaults.  Hmm, this tells me MC did not set itself as the default media player.

I have uninstalled MC and ran a registry program to remove any remnants left over in an attempt to gain a clean slate.  When I reinstalled MC, nothing changed.  The only other media players I have installed are Winamp (what I was previously using) and MediaMonkey (trying out).  iTunes has never been installed on this system.  When I deleted Winamp and MediaMonkey, I ran a registry cleaner for them as well.

I am perplexed at this point as I am not sure if it is MC or my system.  Winamp and MediaMonkey both set themselves up as default players and appear in the Vista default programs window.  As an aside, I use SeaMonkey as my browser and it currently has a similar issue.  The issue dealt with not being set to handle default protocols and am wondering if this is the problem here.

My apologies again if this has been discussed before.  I have found that my search phrases tend to not find what I am looking for and hope this is not the case here.  I appreciate any and all help you are able to provide as I have finally found the media player that fits my needs but can not get it to work properly.   :'(

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Media Center not default
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2008, 01:02:26 pm »

Just set WMP to not take any of the file types.

If two programs claim a filetype, Microsoft will always win.

Welcome to the forum and thanks for the kind words.

jtek

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2008, 01:18:00 pm »

Hello JimH - and thank you for the ultra fast response!!  :o

Yes, Microsoft applications always win the filetype battle and I am embarrassed to ask how I accomplish the fix you describe.  Aside from changing each file type association manually, I am not sure how to do this.  I have attempted to force Vista to see MC as the default under the "Custom" option, but this did not work.  I can't undo things by unsetting WMP's settings - I can't believe there is no way change file associations with WMP.  Ugh...

I am being lazy today and seeing if I can get Vista to do the work for me - otherwise, I can go through the Associate file types one by one and change WMP to MC.

Thanks again for your help.  By chance, will this be an issue with version 13?

jtek

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2008, 01:41:37 pm »

Okay, the deed is done.  I could not find any other means of automatically get the file types to associate with MC so I sorted the file types by application and changed all that could be changed for Windows Media Player.  All is well with MC now.   ;)

Will version 13 of MC be more Vista friendly (i.e. appear in the default programs window)?  I hope so as it really makes things easy - especially when default programs need to be reset.

I have 28 days left to review.  Don't think it will take that long.  Still need to burn a disk and see how it all works.  Been using Winamp for so long, but grew tired of each update making it harder to do simple tasks.  MC has a very clean interface and is intuitive to use.

You are most welcome for the kind comments - they are well deserved!  It is nice to finally have an option to Winamp and not have to return to WMP.  Having been a musician in days past, my ears have become quite particular to what they want to hear musically.  MC has appeased my semi-audiofile tastes - in fact, it sounds better than Winamp!!

Thanks again for the help and please do let me know about the upcoming version 13 and how it will interact with Vista.   :)

HPSKI

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2008, 03:50:04 pm »

Okay, the deed is done.  I could not find any other means of automatically get the file types to associate with MC so I sorted the file types by application and changed all that could be changed for Windows Media Player.  All is well with MC now.   ;)

Will version 13 of MC be more Vista friendly (i.e. appear in the default programs window)?  I hope so as it really makes things easy - especially when default programs need to be reset.

I have 28 days left to review.  Don't think it will take that long.  Still need to burn a disk and see how it all works.  Been using Winamp for so long, but grew tired of each update making it harder to do simple tasks.  MC has a very clean interface and is intuitive to use.

You are most welcome for the kind comments - they are well deserved!  It is nice to finally have an option to Winamp and not have to return to WMP.  Having been a musician in days past, my ears have become quite particular to what they want to hear musically.  MC has appeased my semi-audiofile tastes - in fact, it sounds better than Winamp!!

Thanks again for the help and please do let me know about the upcoming version 13 and how it will interact with Vista.   :)

OK, I had problems with MS Media Center commandeering my license restores - even though it is a JRiver file, it was default opened by MS MC. MS MC opened every time, w/o any hint of JRiver.  So, instead of dealing with (IMO) MS's idiotic, decidedly unfriendly embedded MC, I deleted it, period.  It doesn't show up in  "control panel", so I deleted it from the program files, and for good measure, I cleared out my recycle bin as well. Hope this helps... MS MC, R.I.P 
Pages: [1]   Go Up