INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Remote Control problem - any advice?  (Read 3245 times)

vbrook

• Junior Woodchuck
Remote Control problem - any advice?
« on: November 01, 2008, 01:21:12 am »

Hi,

When I moved, a friend recommended a custom audio installer. I thought DIY would be fun. Now I feel like an idiot having spent over 2 hours getting a simple remote control programmed. Before I smash things, I thought I'd ask here...

MC has a very clear interface for programming a remote control. Select a function, click "learn", then press a button on the remote.

However, it's not working. I have a Streamzap remote, and MC does not recognise it. I understand there is a program called Girder that may help. But, I don't understand why I have to go through so much trouble using a secondary program just to do very, viery simple things. For example, I want to program the 'red' button to call up the Playlist. If I could do that, 90% of the problem is solved.

Before I purchased the remote, I did some research online. The Streamzap got good reviews. I installed the software and driver. The remote does work. However, I can't program it with MC. I have read the WIKI and manual. I also experimented by installing the USB-UIRT driver. The driver does not install because of a missing DLL.

There are programs such as Ghost, Girder, and Intelliremote. I've read the websites. For my simple needs, I have no idea why I should need this additional software? I did nonetheless install Intelliremote. It does not recognize the Streamzap, unfortunately!

Again, the remote is working, and their supplied software is working. Perhaps this Streamzap is manufactured so that its use is restricted to what the company dictates? Therefore, it won't let me use it with MC?

In any case, I can't fathom why on Earth getting the remote control programmed should be so difficult. Any advice??

THANKS!
VBrook

Mr ChriZ

• Citizen of the Universe
  • :-D
Re: Remote Control HELL!!! (Any Advice???)
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2008, 08:10:23 am »

Does the software that came with the remote allow you to specify that a command line is run when you press a certain button?

benn600

• Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
Re: Remote Control HELL!!! (Any Advice???)
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2008, 10:26:25 am »

My remote (Keyspan) allows me to use each button as a keyboard button.  So Arrow left simply pushes arrow left.  Same with next, play, stop, etc.  It also allows configuration of command line execution but keyboard buttons has worked very well for me.

I would avoid MC's remote configuration.  It has never worked for me, either, and I think this is because some of these remotes are not designed to work well under standards.  Try using the remote's software if it has any.

gappie

Re: Remote Control problem - any advice?
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2008, 04:37:33 pm »

yes the streamzap is a good remote.
i have a streamzap since 11 and it never worked with mc. but with girder it does.. im sorry. :(

there was a thread a long time ago where someone posted an alternative programm, i tried it then and it worked nice. not as versatile as girder actualy good enough. i just looked for the thread with the link. dont know if the software is still free etc. btw, there is someone in that short thread who says it works with mc
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=41458.0

:)
gab

edit..  ;) .. it could be that the standard version of that program does what you want, and is free.. check it out. and if so, i would appreciate it if you report back.  :)

vbrook

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: Remote Control problem - any advice?
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2008, 07:30:13 pm »

Cheers for all the responses.

Unfortunately, the Streamzap software does not allow for keyboard shortcuts. The configuration options are highly limited.

I tried out the program at LM Gestion, and it does seem to work. The free version is stripped down but functional. As far as I can tell, a 'donation' version includes a database with presets for applications including MC. EventGhost also works. It needs to be configured from scratch, but it's not difficult. I mapped buttons to keyboard shortcuts quickly and easily. There is a more robust method involving something called "WM_COMMANDS". I've zero familiarity with such commands, nonetheless tried but couldn't figure out how to enter them in. MC has a list of their commands in a wiki, but I'm too inexperienced to make head or tail of it. Anyway, the keyboard shortcuts are fine. Although, I'm still trying to find a way/keyboard shortcut to jump to 'playing now' and back in Theater View. I'm not sure whether MC itself allows for such a thing.

Intelliremote does not work with Streamzap. I enquired directly with Intelliremote, as I found it to be the most user-friendly and hoped to use it. I might get another remote to use with Intelliremote on another computer.

I also find that I cannot use Streamzap with MC13 at all (with their supplied software). The transport buttons (play, etc) work in MC12 but not MC13 for some reason. Not a problem with EventGhost or LM Gestion.

One complex thing, however, in programming: I haven't figured out how to program multiple keypresses in either LM Gestion or EventGhost. The Streamzap, as you know, has 'telephone' keys, so that '2' also represents 'a', 'b', 'c' and so forth. That would actually be quite convenient to use were I to figure out how to program it.

The remote I really wanted is called "EZ Commander". It has a trackball mouse built in. However, as far as I can tell, there is not much 3rd party support for it. With Streamzap, it seemed to be so common, I knew that were I to have problems I would not be the only one.

VB
Pages: [1]   Go Up