INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Does MC12 or 13 allow "indexing" into a video? (newbie)  (Read 1246 times)

DadCat

• Recent member
Does MC12 or 13 allow "indexing" into a video? (newbie)
« on: November 03, 2008, 10:13:48 am »

I think a lot of family video collections are like mine: the majority of my video files are simply 1:1 transfers/digitizations of entire video tapes (up to 2 hours each for my old Hi8 tapes). For really special occasions, I might use Pinnacle Studio to edit this raw footage into a "movie", but the vast majority of my video files are as they were recorded in the camcorder.

So a particular file may contain a lot of different content... perhaps spanning Christmas 2006, summer vacation 2007, Thanksgiving 2007, Christmas 2007.  But it doesn't appear there's an obvious way to associate MC library tags with a particular "section" of the file (eg,Thanskgiving 2007).

Short of breaking my multiple-content video files into separate files, is there a way in MC12 or 13 for me to create multiple entries in the MC library for a single video file, with each entry in the library pointing to a different "index" (time offset + length) into the file?  Sort of like several "virtual" files residing within one "physical" file. That way, I could associate different tags with different sections of the video.

If MC12/13 can't presently do this, it sure would be a nice feature for a future version.

DadCat

robydago

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Does MC12 or 13 allow "indexing" into a video? (newbie)
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2008, 10:18:15 am »

i'd like to have the same option, for both audio and video.
also, those virtual files could be usable in playlists.

mmlevin

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: Does MC12 or 13 allow "indexing" into a video? (newbie)
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2008, 07:23:36 pm »

Or another thought-- what if you put the content into a directory, labeling the various pieces 'part 1, part 2, part 3" etc.  During playback, if you start at the beginning (part 1) it would automatically go to part 2, then part 3, etc., seamlessly.  If you did that with a feature film, you would effectively create "chapters" that seamlessly string together when viewing.  That way, you don't need any indexes or anything else.
Pages: [1]   Go Up