INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Have I been doing it backwards? (Album Artist)  (Read 2288 times)

mesue

• Galactic Citizen
Have I been doing it backwards? (Album Artist)
« on: November 04, 2008, 10:36:52 am »

I have albums by Matchbox Twenty as well as solo work by Rob Thomas. I have it tagged like this:
Solo work: Rob Thomas as ARTIST, Rob Thomas as ALBUM ARTIST
Matchbox Twenty: Matchbox Twenty as ARTIST, Rob Thomas as ALBUM ARTIST

However, in my view schemes where Album Artist (auto) is used, I do not get Matchbox Twenty in the list.

Have I been doing it backwards all this time? Or should I be using the Band field? Or something else entirely?

What I would want to happen is to have both Rob Thomas and Matchbox Twenty in my artist lists. When Rob Thomas is selected it should show all works involving Rob Thomas (solo and with MB20). When Matchbox Twenty is selected I would want to see only the albums done as a band.

This is just one example of many scenarios like this.
Sue

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
Re: Have I been doing it backwards? (Album Artist)
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2008, 07:16:44 pm »

If you have Album Artist (auto) as a view scheme item it shows the Album Artist (auto) values, nothing more or less.

When I want to use a single Album Artist tag with discographies in which the same artist or artists have several names I usually tag the most dominant name. For instance:

Artist:
   Paul McCartney
   Paul and Linda McCartney
   Wings
   Paul McCartney and Wings
   The Fireman
Album Artist:
   Paul McCartney

Sometimes I tag more than one name in the Album Artist field:

Artist:
   The Boomtown Rats
   Bob Geldof
Album Artist:
   Bob Geldof & The Boomtown Rats
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

mesue

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2008, 07:32:32 pm »

So, in your example, if you wanted The Firemen, you would have to remember to find it through Paul McCartney, right? Because The Firemen won't appear in an Album Artist (auto) list.

So this scenario is not currently doable?
What I would want to happen is to have both Rob Thomas and Matchbox Twenty in my artist lists. When Rob Thomas is selected it should show all works involving Rob Thomas (solo and with MB20). When Matchbox Twenty is selected I would want to see only the albums done as a band.

Would it be doable with the tag changes in MC13?

Sue

AoXoMoXoA

• Citizen of the Universe
  • I am a kangaroo . . . . no, really!
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2008, 06:57:35 am »

You would look under [Album Artist] for Rob Thomas and Matchbox Twenty would appear under him as [Artist].

So, in your example, if you wanted The Firemen, you would have to remember to find it through Paul McCartney, right? Because The Firemen won't appear in an Album Artist (auto) list.

But to find Matchbox Twenty, if you do not remember to look under Rob Thomas, you would find them by looking under [Artist] where both Rob Thomas and Matchbox Twenty would be listed separately.

For this reason I have a View Scheme which shows both [Album Artist] an [Artist] panes.
. . . the game is rigged
Pages: [1]   Go Up