INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Playing files directly without analyzing them  (Read 1093 times)

Osho

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Playing files directly without analyzing them
« on: November 05, 2008, 03:07:40 pm »

Hi,

If I want to play a bunch of files, I select them all in a Windows Explorer window and then drag and drop them to MC12's Playing Now window. I see a "Analyzing Files..." dialog - which can take a while. Is it possible to not analyze the files but just start playing them (like Windows Media Player) does.

If I select "Replace Play" in Windows Explorer for these files, I do not see the "Analyzing Files..." dialog but I do see a substantial lag before the files start playing. I would like them to start playing isntantaneously (like Windows Media Player).

Thanks,
Osho

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
Re: Playing files directly without analyzing them
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2008, 04:54:28 am »

Are you speaking about audio or video files or maybe both?

How many files does your typical "bunch of files" contain and what is the file format? How long does the initial analysis take?

When you add unimported files to Playing Now MC reads the file format and tags. Depending on the encoding format and disk access speed this can take some time, but it should be relatively fast when you add internally supported audio files. Some file formats that are decoded through DirectShow, like video formats, can be slower to check.

The separate replay gain analysis process of audio files is a lot slower because it needs to decode the entire files. (Maybe JRiver could revise the used wording. Something like "Checking file format and tags..." would be better than "Analyzing files...".)
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755
Pages: [1]   Go Up