INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: iTunes problems  (Read 5129 times)

memelet

• Recent member
iTunes problems
« on: November 07, 2008, 09:28:59 pm »

Hmm. I had itunes 8 installed before I bought/upgraded to MC13. I /must/ have itunes 8 for my iphone 3g. You should have had a big red flashing announcement about this on the home page or purchase page, not only in the forums. I now wonder if this has something to do with MC13 crashing after two minutes...

So, since I'm now told that I cannot use MC13, what is the policy for getting a refund?

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
iTunes problems
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2008, 09:42:01 pm »

So, since I'm now told that I cannot use MC13, what is the policy for getting a refund?

You can use MC13. It is an excellent media center program on its own. It doesn't need or even care about any installed iTunes version.

Apple just happen to change the undocumented internal iTunes/iPod formats quite often and that causes problems with other programs which try to manage iPods.

MC has never been guaranteed to work with all iPod models and revisions. The JRiver developers have done nice work with iPod support in the past and I don't think they have stopped. Jim's warning was intended to those users who were happily using iPods with MC back then.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

memelet

• Recent member
iTunes problems
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2008, 06:36:00 am »

I agree with all you said, Alex. MC is excellent. But I'm not going to dump my iphone (not ipod) in the trash so I can run MC. My point is that I wish it were made very clear that MC has serious compatibility issues with itunes8, which again I /must/ use due to my iphone 3g. Its quite annoying to purchase  product, have it crash continuously after running for less than two minutes, and /then/ be told that of its compatibility issues.

steveklein

• Galactic Citizen
Re: iTunes problems
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2008, 07:02:36 pm »

did you not use the 30 day trial? surely you would have encountered the iphone 3G problems with MC during the 30 day trial before purchase.

but i do really, really, really hope that the iphone 3G is supported as soon as possible. like you, i'm not going to dump my iphone. if i have to use itunes 8 to update it, then so be it. i only update my ipod once every 2 weeks or so, so not really an issue for me. i just am not even sure itunes 8 can coexist on the same machine as MC as it stands now.

Chili-Jam

• World Citizen
  • same same ... but different
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2008, 06:46:14 am »

It doesn't need or even care about any installed iTunes version.

Like Alex said, there is no reason why you shouldn't be able to use MC besides iTunes as long as you don't depend on MC to manage your iPod/Phone.

There must be another reason why it is crashing on your machine.
Why not try the stable MC12 version?

zxsix

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2008, 07:37:51 pm »

I can confirm that the coexistence of Itunes 8 and MC 13 are not causing crashes.
At the very least, Glynor and I are managing our libraries with MC, then jockeying some things so that itunes can then sync what we managed with MC.  This method, though kludgy, is working for us until a true sync feature or plugin within MC sees the light of day.  I have to do it this way since Itunes, in all of it's inferiority, can't use my flac files (99.9% of my collection).
If I was an mp3 kinda guy, I would just point MC and Itunes at the same folder on my NAS drive.  Itunes would be used to sync to the ipod and MC would do everything else.

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2008, 05:52:42 am »

If I was an mp3 kinda guy, I would just point MC and Itunes at the same folder on my NAS drive.  Itunes would be used to sync to the ipod and MC would do everything else.

That "would" be my solution as well if it weren't for the fact that I have a LOT of audible files, which 1) don't save tags in the files themselves, and 2) are incredibly poorly tagged in many cases, particularly with "periodical" type programs which sometimes offer no specific program info in the original tags.  The upshot is that all of the important info is saved ONLY in the MC library, and therefore does not get transferred over to iTunes for syncing.  The result would be a MESS in the single "Audiobooks" folder than the iPod provides.

In other words, I'm unfortunately forced to use the same program for management AND syncing, which presents a real problem if MC doesn't continue to support iPods.

Larry

Twynns

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2009, 09:08:19 am »

I can confirm that the coexistence of Itunes 8 and MC 13 are not causing crashes.
At the very least, Glynor and I are managing our libraries with MC, then jockeying some things so that itunes can then sync what we managed with MC.  This method, though kludgy, is working for us until a true sync feature or plugin within MC sees the light of day.  I have to do it this way since Itunes, in all of it's inferiority, can't use my flac files (99.9% of my collection).

Can you let us know how you're accomplishing this, either publicly or privately?  I am trying to sync iTunes w/ MC13 and have nearly my entire library in FLAC as well.  I haven't figured out a good way (or even a poor way) to sync libraries without doing it one song at a time, or using single album folders, which would take me forever...FLUKE works well for doing individual songs, but I haven't figured out how to do an entire library of 4000 titles...Any help appreciated!!!

zxsix

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2009, 08:21:26 pm »

3 big steps.
It involves MC's feature of syncing to a portable drive folder (use the folder that itunes expects the music files in), then using ITSFV program sychroclean feature to update your itunes database with the contents of that folder, since Itunes sucketh, and doesn't even have watch folder functionality to handle this on it's own.
Then use itunes to sync to the touch/iphone.
The glaring thing that doesn't work that I miss is there's no syncing of ratings in either direction, since itunes doesn't use the tags and only reads/stores ratings from it's proprietary database (cough) xml file.

Look at glynor's post #36 in this thread for step by step.  Ask back here if you need any clarification.

JONCAT

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2009, 08:48:45 am »

I think this is what I need. Lately my sync folder when refreshed with new files, always ends up getting imported twice into my Itunes library when a add the folder manually; I've got dups using ITunes even though they don't exist on disk. I just don't know what I'm doing with iTunes which makes me hate it even more...it's so freaking limited.

dc
Pages: [1]   Go Up