INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: WASAPI [exclusive mode]  (Read 7159 times)

KingDoughnut

WASAPI [exclusive mode]
« on: November 08, 2008, 05:24:22 pm »

While playing exclusive mode in WASAPI what sample rate should be coming out?

Does exclusive mode only do the sample rate of the media being played or does it allow upsampling?

It appears that upsampling can only be done in [shared mode]....

KingDoughnut

Re: WASAPI [exclusive mode]
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2008, 10:03:00 pm »

Ok, I can't be the only one using WASAPI.  Could someone at least post what sample rate they are seeing at the output...

jmone

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2008, 12:48:22 am »

I'm using WASAPI and trasmit the result via HDMI to my AV Setup....happy to report what the sample rate output is if you give me a clue of to work it out!
JRiver CEO Elect

)p(

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2008, 01:14:38 am »

I reroute the output in exclusive mode using virtual audio cable set to 44.1/16 and as far as I can tell that's what I get from jrmc without resampling. I have not done a bit compare yet though. I did for asio a while back and that was bit perfect with this setup.

peter

KingDoughnut

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2008, 07:55:45 am »

My DAC shows the sample rate it is seeing.....I really don't know how to determine this otherwise....

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2008, 03:19:35 pm »

OK - I can report that with WASAPI the output is 2CH PCM at 44.1kHz (as it should be!) but with Direct Sound it is resampled to my "default" windows settings outputing MPCM 5.1 @ 96kHz (so it is resampled and I have 3.1 "blank" channels eg - no LFE from the receiver).

JRiver CEO Elect

KingDoughnut

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2008, 08:59:19 pm »

Great, because that is exactly what I am getting....44.1

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2008, 10:04:24 pm »

This really is a great addition for MC13, now if we could use it for DirectShow apps it would be even better...
JRiver CEO Elect

KingDoughnut

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2008, 06:43:11 am »

DirectShow apps??  I'm not familiar with this....what are some DirectShow apps???

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2008, 07:08:21 am »

DirectShow is a method of playback.  Details are in our wiki (link above).

But I think jmone may mean for playback of video.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2008, 11:26:48 pm »

DirectShow is a method of playback.  Details are in our wiki (link above).

But I think jmone may mean for playback of video.

Sorry Yes - I mean WASAPI being available for DirectShow playback....
JRiver CEO Elect

KingDoughnut

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2008, 04:41:56 am »

I broke WASAPI exclusive playback.  I'm now getting the following error whenever I set exclusive mode, non-exclusive mode still works.
I'm using an M-Audio FireWire 410 for audio.  I was curious if WASAPI would upsample so I set the sampling rate to 96000 in the M-Audio control panel.  It didn't work.  I set the sampling rate back to 44100 but playback continues to give me the error above.  I tried rebooting and still get the error.  Non-exclusive mode continues to work.  ASIO continues to work.  WASAPI Exclusive mode just seems to be stuck.

This is in ref to a post I saw on the main MC13 download thread.

FYI, exclusive mode likes to be as real time as possible, so when you start playback if WASAPI does not get a lock from MC fast enough you will get an error about sampling rates.  No matter what rate you set it too you are likely to still get the error.  One thing you could try is to reduce your buffer.  Another is to change the latency on your card.  One more thing....in ref to foobar WASAPI, it is supposed to be exclusive more BUT its not, why, because you should not be able to upsample with WASAPI.  You should only be able to get the original sample rate of the media being played.  But with foobar you actually [usually] get the sample rate that is specified in shared mode.  For example if you change the rate in shared mode, thats what you are going to get out....this should not be.

Frobozz

• There is a small mailbox here.
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2008, 10:14:00 am »

This is in ref to a post I saw on the main MC13 download thread.

Ya, reducing the buffer in MC13 fixed the problem.  I had upped the buffer to reduce the possibility of playback dropouts.  Increasing the buffer has been helpful with ASIO, I assumed it would be the same for WASAPI.  I reduced the buffer back to 0.5 seconds and WASAPI exclusive mode worked again.

The devs are going to have to figure out a way to make sure that a higher buffer setting doesn't prevent WASAPI exclusive mode from working.  Otherwise WASAPI is going to be a support issue and frustrating for people who try it.

I didn't know Foobar was cheating on their WASAPI.  They're usually quite picky about things being correct for anything that might affect playback quality.

KingDoughnut

« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2008, 01:32:54 pm »

Should be a easy fix for dev. just make the buffer set to min with no option to increase when WASAPI exclusive mode is selected.

This will increase user satisfaction and robustness.

FYI, if you listen to internet radio and have a dropout or fade out for a short period you might get some jittery type of skipping until it re-sync's.

KingDoughnut

48Hz MAX
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2008, 07:13:09 am »

Is the sample rate of 48Hz due to WASAPI or Hardware??

My card can go up to 96Hz but for some reason I can not get that when I use WASAPI....nor can I use 24bit/48Hz at the same time.....either 24bit depth and 44.1Hz -or- 16bit depth and 48Hz.

benn600

• Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2008, 09:18:59 am »

You changed the "subject!"  Ahhh, now I'm all confused.
Pages: [1]   Go Up