INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Genre-specific views?  (Read 1416 times)

mwmccaw

• Recent member
Genre-specific views?
« on: November 10, 2008, 08:36:25 am »

Is it possible to create views that apply only to certain genres, and which automatically shift when the genre is selected?  If so, where could I find guidance in creating these?
Thanks,
mike

park

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I wish I had more to say!
Re: Genre-specific views?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2008, 10:11:21 am »

In Media Center 13 you can use the new views wizard to create a "view" for each genre that you want to be unique. Then you would choose which one to browse by picking that view in the tree, rather than picking a genre in a [Genre] pane of a regular view.
To do this:

1. Right click on the big Audio button at the top of the tree, and click on "Add library view"
2. In the advanced section of the wizard click on "edit search rules" and select the genre(s) that you want for that view
3. Add categories relevant to that genre in the "top list" section, and choose between regular panes view or the slightly better looking thumbnails view.

Voila! You might not be able to browse all your music on one convenient view, but once you psychologically get out of that way of thinking, and build perfect views for your classical, jazz, electronic, movies, tv, home video etc. you'll never look back. iTunes etc suck so bad exactly because they show you everything you've got all at once, and you end up playing something near the top of the list cos it's just too much effort to browse the whole thing.

The above method is pretty much the same for MC12, except the sorting options are in a separate place.

JONCAT

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2008, 06:41:34 pm »

This implies that my viewing is static and not dynamic. And, I now have to create a "view" for each Genre? View Scheme is misleading, and this semantic confusion has taken MC13 way off course imo.

The scheme can be set to include/exclude files based on any tag/property attributes. I've made my case in the MC13 forum but will post a new question because I don't comprehend why Tiles have been completely segregated from Panes. This means I need 100 view schemes in MC13 to re-create my MC12 system with 20 schemes, and adds uneeded complexity with switching to another scheme just to view it differently. Hasn't anyone noticed this? Pane view (1), Tiles = 5 for each scheme so I can switch between Genre, Style, Custom Artist, Album.....100 schemes as opposed to 20.

In Media Center 13 you can use the new views wizard to create a "view" for each genre that you want to be unique. Then you would choose which one to browse by picking that view in the tree, rather than picking a genre in a [Genre] pane of a regular view.
To do this:

1. Right click on the big Audio button at the top of the tree, and click on "Add library view"
2. In the advanced section of the wizard click on "edit earch rules" and select the genre(s) that you want for that view
3. Add categories relevant to that genre in the "top list" section, and choose between regular panes view or the slightly better looking thumbnails view.

Voila! You might not be able to browse all your music on one convenient view, but once you psychologically get out of that way of thinking, and build perfect views for your classical, jazz, electronic, movies, tv, home video etc. you'll never look back. iTunes etc suck so bad exactly because they show you everything you've got all at once, and you end up playing something near the top of the list cos it's just too much effort to browse the whole thing.

The above method is pretty much the same for MC12, except the sorting options are in a separate place.

park

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I wish I had more to say!
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2008, 10:20:09 pm »

I agree that tiles needs more work in MC13. We need a way to choose which category we want to start at when we enter the view. At the moment you have to start at the category you defined when you set the view up. That's actually quite a loss of freedom.

Personally I dont mind not being able to toggle between panes and tiles on the fly. I just set up different views for tagging (panes), and browsing (tiles).

These 2 posts might be better if they were moved to the MC13 board I think.

JONCAT

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2008, 10:15:19 am »

The problem is not so much that Tiles & Panes are seperated, but the resulting structure means that we can 't switch between views on the fly. As I mentioned, I am now required to manual re-create 5 MC13 view schemes for each MC12 view scheme (Pane, Tile=Artist, Tile=Album, Tile=Genre, Tile=Style).

I'll try to post over on the 13 board soon.

DC
Pages: [1]   Go Up