INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Executable keeps running after close...  (Read 2310 times)

BigCat

• World Citizen
  • Believe...
Executable keeps running after close...
« on: November 11, 2008, 09:37:10 pm »

Hey guys,

I just upgraded from MC11 to MC13.  When I close the program, the executable is still running in Windows Task Manager.  While MC13 is running, CPUs are normal, but after the close, the MC13 CPU number is very high.  The computer is unresponsive till I do the three finger salute and kill the MC13 process.

Thanks for any help.
BC

==============
Media Center 13.0.69 Registered -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center 13\

Microsoft Windows XP 5.1 Service Pack 3 (Build 2600)
AMD Unknown 2000 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 1047 MB, Free - 387 MB

Internet Explorer: 7.0.5730.11 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82.2900 / Shlwapi.dll: 6.0.2900 / Shell32.dll: 6.0.2900 / wnaspi32.dll: 4.71 (0002) , ASPI for Win32         DLL, Copyright ᄅ 1989-2002 Adaptec, Inc. / Aspi32.sys: 4.71 (0002)

Ripping /   Drive F:   Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Drive G:   Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Drive H:   Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Digital playback: Yes /  Get cover art: Yes /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
  Eject after ripping: Yes /  Play sound after ripping: No 

Burning /  Drive F: LITE-ON  DVDRW LDW-811S     Addr: 1:0:0  Speed:0  MaxSpeed:0  BurnProof:Yes
  Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: Yes
  Use playback settings: No /

Portable Device Info
  Removed devices:

Interface Plugins:
  last.fm (Active)
  Library Server (Active)
  TiVo Server (Active)
  UPnP Server (Active)
  AutoEQ (Active)
  Cover Art Finder 3 (Active)
  Sleep Timer (Active)
  Write Playing (Active)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Executable keeps running after close...
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2008, 09:47:43 pm »

Let it run.  It builds thumbnails and can get cover art.  It will settle down in a while.

BigCat

• World Citizen
  • Believe...
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2008, 10:09:35 pm »

Thanks for the quick reply!

It would be fine for a moment or two, but it doesn't seem to go away at all.  Just now I counted 10 minutes before I went ahead and killed the process.  It was running like 85% and 90% of the CPU cycles during that time and the computer was unusable.

BigCat

• World Citizen
  • Believe...
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2008, 10:25:24 pm »

I just checked and MC11 doesn't have the same problem.  When I close it, it closes right away.

Here are the settings for MC11 (if that helps):

Media Center Registered 11.1.201 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center 11\

Microsoft Windows XP  Workstation 5.1 Service Pack 3 (Build 2600)
AMD Unknown 2001 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 1047 MB, Free - 366 MB

Internet Explorer: 7.0.5730.11 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82.2900 / Shlwapi.dll: 6.0.2900 / Shell32.dll: 6.0.2900 / wnaspi32.dll: 4.71 (0002) , ASPI for Win32         DLL, Copyright © 1989-2002 Adaptec, Inc. / Aspi32.sys: 4.71 (0002)

Ripping /   Drive F: LITE-ON DVDRW LDW-811S    Mode:ModeSecure  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Drive G:   Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Drive H:   Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: Yes /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
  Eject after ripping: Yes /  Play sound after ripping: No 

Burning /  Drive F: LITE-ON  DVDRW LDW-811S     Addr: 1:0:0  Speed:8  MaxSpeed:0  BurnProof:Yes
  Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: Yes
  Use playback settings: No /

rjm

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2008, 11:29:33 pm »

The issue you are seeing occurs if you have a large library and you have the option Tools\Options\Tree & View\Thumbnails\Thumbnail Exit Behavior set to "Erase Orphans".

Change the setting to "Leave" and MC will promptly shut down.

Chili-Jam

• World Citizen
  • same same ... but different
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2008, 05:11:04 am »

I'd prefer that MC kills all threads when a user chooses to close MC. It's usually done for a reason.
And i set "Erase orphans" to "Leave" and still sometimes MC does not exit.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2008, 07:44:52 am »

I think the "Analyze Audio" and possibly also the "Get Cover Art" auto-import background tasks can prevent MC from closing quickly. These can be disabled in the Auto-Import options.

It might be better to run the file analyzer manually at a desired time.

Also, the manually started "Get From Internet" cover art tool can be better than the automatic feature because it offers previews and control over the process.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2008, 09:56:06 am »

Any background tool should stop immediately when the user closes.  If they don't, it's a bug.

Could you email a log to matt at jriver dot com (Help > Logging) that shows the shutdown hang?  Shutdown has good logging, so we should be able to see what's going on.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2008, 10:13:03 am »

Hmm... I think all ongoing tagging tasks would need to be finalized before MC can be closed. How many tagging processes the background analyzer and cover art downloader can run (or queue)?

For instance: What if MC happens to be updating a couple of 50 MB FLAC files over a slow LAN when the user closes MC? FLAC stores tags in the beginning of the file and if the new tags exceed the possibly existing padding area the complete files must be rewritten.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2008, 10:24:53 am »

Hmm... I think all ongoing tagging tasks would need to be finalized before MC can be closed. How many tagging processes the background analyzer and cover art downloader can run (or queue)?

You're right that pending tag operations must finish, but no background tasks should queue up much (if any) tagging.  Also, a popup shows saying "Saving tag changes..." in these cases.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

BigCat

• World Citizen
  • Believe...
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2008, 01:17:44 am »

Hey guys,

Sorry I didn't get back to you right away.  I had technical difficulties (including major monitor problems).  Now that I have my computer back, I installed the latest MC13 build and... it seems to work correctly!

Great support!

Good job, thank you, and Happy Thanksgiving!
BigCat

tombert

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2008, 03:40:15 am »

I do have the same issue - MC closes but does not disappear in the task-manager - although it closes after some 5 minutes.
It possible to close MC13 while tagging is in process - in MC12 there was a window showing the tagging progress till MC closed itself. Now it simply disappears and does some magic background jobs ...

The problem is that you can't restart MC till the previous process is really away.

Pages: [1]   Go Up