INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MTVDM.EXE  (Read 4439 times)

okvaal

• Galactic Citizen
  • Appreciate your life
MTVDM.EXE
« on: November 13, 2008, 05:10:03 pm »

Hi.
Anyone else using MC having problems with this issue, running on Vista? Several times a day I will get the message "MTVDM.EXE stopped working and was closed. A problem caused the program to stop functioning properly. You will be informed if a solution is available." I have no reason to believe it has anything to do with MC, but I'm narrowing the choices down to a minimum of program which may cause this problem, which, due to Microsofts own support pages, is no longer supported because the platform it used to crash on, is no longer in use. I can't remember which, except that it was not XP, at least. All other googling has only made me find lots of fellow suffereres, but no solutions. BTW, it seems all I have to do is click "Close", but then it will reappear only a few hours later. I'd be happy to remove MC from my check list.

Thanks in advance,
ole k

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: MTVDM.EXE
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2008, 09:27:20 pm »

MTVDM.exe is not a JRiver component.  I've actually never heard of it.  Google?
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

okvaal

• Galactic Citizen
  • Appreciate your life
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2008, 03:06:49 am »

Like I said, I tried googling, but no luck. Anyway, thanks for your reply. One program to remove from the list, three more to go.

cheers,
ole k

mlagase

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2008, 04:48:40 am »

Are you sure the executable is spelled correctly? Is this not ntvdm.exe which is a virtual DOS machine to run 16-bit applications in?

If that isn't it, then I don't know what the process is.

okvaal

• Galactic Citizen
  • Appreciate your life
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2008, 08:41:30 am »

I'm so sorry. Yes, it was a misspelling. (And I don't even watch MTV, so that can't be the reason.) Anyway, yes, NTVDM.EXE it is, and it still keeps popping up. I also found it had something to do with running DOS (Windows NT?), but I didn't get further than that. So it remains an annoying problem. My laptop has approx the same programs running, but it has never occurred there. On my desktop (which keeps having this problem) I've limited myself to running photo editing programs (Lightroom, Photoshop) and music (MC, MCSlim/Logitech SqueezeCenter).

newsposter

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2008, 04:59:44 pm »

ntvdm.exe is a support component that lets 32 bit WIndows run older 16 bit programs.

What else is running on your machines?  Have a look at your process manager and event viewer to see if the info (and maybe the crash) was captured there.

AFAIK, nothing in MC would kick off a 16 bit process.

okvaal

• Galactic Citizen
  • Appreciate your life
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2008, 10:37:09 am »

Hi, and thanks for your reply. The other running processes are too many to mention here, but now that I've learned that 1) it has nothing to do with MC and 2) what it REALLY is, I'll take my question back to a windows related group (again) and attach the entire process list. The reason I started here, is that MC is one of the very few programs that are set to launch at start up.
Thanks again,

ole k

mlagase

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2008, 06:18:29 pm »

You can use Process Monitor from http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896645.aspx filtered on ntvdm.exe to see who or what might be launching this. The filter is needed to keep the log file small, otherwise you will have a performance hit on your computer.

okvaal

• Galactic Citizen
  • Appreciate your life
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2008, 11:48:42 am »

mlagase wrote:"You can use Process Monitor from http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896645.aspx filtered on ntvdm.exe to see who or what might be launching this. The filter is needed to keep the log file small, otherwise you will have a performance hit on your computer."

Thanks a lot indeed. I've never been so close to finding a solution to this before! The problem now is that, although it finds the ntvdm.exe file both under windows/prefetch (pf-file) and system32 (program file), I'm not much wiser regarding what do to. The Process Monitor help file refusing to open doesn't make things much better. Getting pretty OT in this forum, nonetheless, would it be a safe move to delete these files and just see what happens, to see which programs won't work properly afterwards, that is? Or just move them to a new folder and reinstall in case they seem to belong to a program which is important to me?

rgds,
ole k

mlagase

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2008, 06:54:47 pm »

ntvdm.exe is part of the OS and cannot be deleted. This is spawned when some applications tries to launch a 16 bit DOS window. When you are filtering, you just need to add ntvdm.exe to the filter as a process as shown below.

Then just minimize this until you see this occur again. Stop the log and then view what might have started this process. Hopefully that will at least give you a clue.

Bill Kearney

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2008, 06:32:45 pm »

There's also process explorer, which can show you more detailed info.  If you see NTVDM running, use procexp to look at what files it has open.  Or if there's more than one NTVDM, there shouldn't be.  It's entirely possible for a virus to masquerade using that name.  

MrHaugen

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2008, 03:04:05 am »

As Bill say, there are other apps that would give you the answers. Sysinternals is a collection of the best ones. Proccess tools there will give you detailed information on what apps/process who have started other processes. Parent/child and so on.
- I may not always believe what I'm saying
Pages: [1]   Go Up