INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Daft noob question - how many zones / how many tracks?  (Read 2529 times)

VicVonDoom

Daft noob question - how many zones / how many tracks?
« on: November 14, 2008, 11:47:34 am »

Hi guys,

i have some daft questions that i can't find answers for on the forum...
whats the max number of zones one instance of jrmc can cope with & also the max number of tracks?

i'm fighting off sonos here, that allows 32zones & 65,000 tracks!

Any ideas?
Cheers, Jim

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
Re: Daft noob question - how many zones / how many tracks?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2008, 01:35:57 pm »

I don't think those numbers are limited.

MC can import hundreds of thousands files and work fine with such a media library. Naturally, with a huge library MC's responsiveness and overall performance is dependent on many factors, like the file formats, drive access speed, the amount and complexity of the library fields (you can create various kinds of calculated fields) and so on.

My modest library of 60,000 files is nowhere near the practical limit even on my oldest PC, a 1.4 GHz AMD Athlon.

Regarding the zones, as a test, I just created 65 zones without problems. However, the zones in MC may not be exactly what you think. They are just memorized settings for individual playback queues. When files are played in a certain zone MC can display a zone specific Playing Now list and it uses whatever output settings you have set for that zone. For outputting audio to separate devices you need to have the devices installed on your OS. You can switch between the zones and launch multiple playback queues. The number of possible simultaneous playback queues is limited by the PC's performance. Also, the maximum number of separate audio devices may have a practical limit.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

VicVonDoom

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2008, 03:36:56 am »

Thanks Alex B,

Just supposing i had a 'monster pc' with loads of pci slots, and the fastest drives on the planet and all my tunes as mp3's,

If i had 4x m-audio delta 1010's installed each with 4 stereo zones,
I make that 16 stereo zones...?

Would MC cope with them all playing different audio?
(i currently have an old banger pc with one delta in it, using 4 zones - can't fault it, using Netremote for control.)

Just curious, Jim

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2008, 07:11:52 am »

Just supposing i had a 'monster pc' with loads of pci slots, and the fastest drives on the planet and all my tunes as mp3's,

If i had 4x m-audio delta 1010's installed each with 4 stereo zones,
I make that 16 stereo zones...?

Would MC cope with them all playing different audio?
Probably.  As Alex says, there are a lot of other possible bottle necks.
Pages: [1]   Go Up