INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: trying to sync Zen X-Fi  (Read 3428 times)

mabes

• Galactic Citizen
trying to sync Zen X-Fi
« on: November 15, 2008, 05:21:38 pm »

I've been trying for hours to get this thing synched and it keeps getting it wrong. I also have had a Samsung and an Archos and had problems there too. Right now MC tells me that the Zen is a 29.9 GB device. The sync list is 28.8, as reported by MC.  And I know it's correct because I have a playlist that has all the playlists I'm trying to sync. And yet when I try to sync I'm told I have 900 MB more than will fit. I've tried rechecking sync, I've retetecting the device. I've tried disconnecting the Zen and restarting, nothing works. I spend an hour going through my music and deleting things from the sync list so I would have a GB free and it was all for nothing. MC has also crashed 3 times trying to sync. And even when it does work properly, it can take half an hour to sync a couple of GBs.
t.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: trying to sync Zen X-Fi
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2008, 09:26:44 pm »

I've been trying for hours to get this thing synched and it keeps getting it wrong. I also have had a Samsung and an Archos and had problems there too. Right now MC tells me that the Zen is a 29.9 GB device. The sync list is 28.8, as reported by MC.  And I know it's correct because I have a playlist that has all the playlists I'm trying to sync. And yet when I try to sync I'm told I have 900 MB more than will fit. I've tried rechecking sync, I've retetecting the device. I've tried disconnecting the Zen and restarting, nothing works. I spend an hour going through my music and deleting things from the sync list so I would have a GB free and it was all for nothing. MC has also crashed 3 times trying to sync. And even when it does work properly, it can take half an hour to sync a couple of GBs.
t.

We won't try to fill a WMDM device to capacity.  A lot of them (even new, good ones) will have problems with this.  For example, a Creative Zen needs a large holdback for DRM handling.

The transfer speed will be limited by the device.  Media Center can pump data very quickly to fast devices (drive style, iPods, etc.).  Conversion can also slow transfers down, but this is done concurrently to the transfer.

You should not be seeing crashes.  If you can get a crash, please use Help > Logging to capture a crash and then Help > Logging > Email to send it to matt at jriver dot com.

Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

mabes

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2008, 02:50:35 pm »

Same problems today. Last night I reformatted the player and erased everything. Synced 28.6 GB. Tried to snyc again today with just a few differences in playlists. Again 29.9 GB device with a 28.7 sync list and I'm told I'll be 1.6 GB over the limit.

There are hundreds of songs In Queue that are already on the player. No changes have been made to them.

Went ahead and started the sync with MC to remove the files that would not fit. Then I was told I would have 3.5 GB free

Email sent

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2008, 10:21:01 am »

As I mentioned, we won't fill a WMDM device to the max.  However, it sounds like it's not being very smart if it's giving you a warning when it's not adding any new files.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

mabes

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2008, 12:28:41 pm »

It's sold as a 32 GB device, but it's really 30.6 according to Information on the player. MC says 29.9 so it's saving 700 MB, for DRM I guess as you posted. But the sync list is only 28.6, I'm guessing that all the complex playlists, with a lot of songs appearing on different lists, is confusing MC. I did notice that if I check "get play stats from handheld", the sync list goes to 35-40 GB.
Pages: [1]   Go Up