INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is there a way to browse by folder trees in MC13?  (Read 1524 times)

Bill Kearney

• Galactic Citizen
Is there a way to browse by folder trees in MC13?
« on: November 17, 2008, 11:06:26 am »

Is it possible to browse the tracks using a tree view based on the pathname?  I can't see a ready way to do this.

I just want to browse by the file location.  Not for a regular use sort of thing.  But when doing a lot of track management (fixing tags, etc) it's very helpful to be able to browse to a folder in a pathname and see all the contents of the path.  Including all tracks in subfolders from that path.  Can't see how to do that in MC13, is it possible?

I will say, the File rename and move function ROCKS.  It's very handy to able to move entire selections of files into new folders based on the tag values.  Very, very handy.  Now if I could just browse in that hierarchy...

Listener

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Is there a way to browse by folder trees in MC13?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2008, 12:04:20 pm »

> Is it possible to browse the tracks using a tree view based on the pathname?

Yes.

Open "Drives & devices" in the view tree on the left side of the screen.

Open My Computer.  Select a drive and open it.  Keep clicking on folders to move down in the directory tree until you get to where you want to be.

Bill

Bill Kearney

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2008, 05:48:40 pm »

Ugh, that's clumsy.  To have to wade through ALL drives in the tree?  Not just the ones MC knows are being used for tracks?

Wasn't there a better way to do this in previous versions of MC?

And what about the Locate (internal) function?  Shouldn't that take you to here, in this Drive tree?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2008, 06:12:06 pm »

You can also make Library Views based on disk location.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2008, 06:23:43 pm »

As Matt said, you don't need to use the Drives & Devices section. You can add a file path based view scheme. It just has not been one of the default tree nodes for some time.

I attached a saved .jvi view file. It is a disc location based view for audio files. You may want try it. Place the unzippd file in the Saved Views subfolder in your library location (create a new folder if it doesn't exist already). After that the view should be available in the View editor (Saved Views > Load View).

You must be logged in to see the attachment.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Bill Kearney

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2008, 11:01:11 am »

Hmm, didn't see a Saved Views folder.  Where's the View Editor?  I didn't see a load option anywhere for it.

I did manage to create a new Root view that's disk based, just what I needed.

In the process of wandering through the view menu items I managed to make MC13.69 wedge the CPU at 99%.  Can't say it's repeatable, but it really doesn't seem to like a lot of flipping though the UI, especially not if a track is currently playing.  Tried to give it time to untangle itself but after 15 minutes it was still wedged.  I'll see if there's any repeatability to it.  Since MC is capable of doing so much (and in the background too) it's tough to point the finger at any one thing unless going through actual SQA procedures (not something I, as a paying customer, have time to do right now).  
Pages: [1]   Go Up