INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What is newest "MC compatible" iPod firmware for various models?  (Read 12855 times)

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
What is newest "MC compatible" iPod firmware for various models?
« on: November 18, 2008, 05:40:35 pm »

Could someone possibly clarify what iPod firmware we need to stop at in order to maintain compatibility with MC?  The information on the forums is confusing at the moment, so I honestly have no idea what the "newest" firmware is that I can run on the 5th gen iPod "Video," 6th gen Classic 80/160, and Classic 120.

iPod syncing is a central part of my MC use, so this information is very important.

On a related note, what is the newest iTunes version that can be installed on an MC system without causing problems?

Thanks,

Larry

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: What is newest "MC compatible" iPod firmware for various models?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2008, 05:46:17 pm »

To the best of our knowledge, the latest iTunes and firmware is supported on all devices except the phone and touch.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2008, 09:24:52 pm »

To the best of our knowledge, the latest iTunes and firmware is supported on all devices except the phone and touch.

Matt,

There is currently some confusing information (at least to me) coming from JRiver on this subject.  A sticky post at the top of this forum (http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=48324.0) is titled "DO NOT INSTALL iTunes 8" (I did not add the capitalization -- this is how the thread is actually titled.)  The first post in that thread simply says "It will break MC's support for iPods."

The most recent post in that forum is from Nov. 1 goes on to say:

itunes installs new firmware that can make the iPod inaccessible to MC.  Don't do it if you want MC support.

These posts came from JRiver, and they sound distinctly different than what you said above (i.e. that to the best of your knowledge, "the latest iTunes and firmware is supported on all devices except the phone and touch.")  Note that in both cases, it's the "iPod" that's being referred to, not the Touch or the Phone, so this isn't a point of confusion.

There are similar warnings in other threads stating that the latest iTunes and iPod firmware breaks support for using MC to sync iPods.

Could you possibly clarify what the situation is with MC and iPods?  Are the other posts incorrect?  If they are, why is that thread still sticky?  Has anyone as of yet confirmed the use of the newest iPod classic (120Gig) with MC13?

Thanks again,

Larry

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2008, 10:44:51 pm »

We recently tested with the latest iTunes, firmware, and MC 13 and things worked fine.  We're not aware of any current issues, save for the locking of the phone and touch.

The warning is probably due to be taken down, at least for Media Center 13.

Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2008, 12:32:57 am »

We recently tested with the latest iTunes, firmware, and MC 13 and things worked fine.  We're not aware of any current issues, save for the locking of the phone and touch.

The warning is probably due to be taken down, at least for Media Center 13.

Thanks for clarifying Matt -- that's good to know.

Larry

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2008, 01:35:17 am »

Do NOT install iTunes.  It may break MC's support, even for older iPods.
Pages: [1]   Go Up