INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New user: iPod classic synced OK but menus are now empty  (Read 3642 times)

mikebarnes

• Recent member
  • Change this by choosing profile
New user: iPod classic synced OK but menus are now empty
« on: November 20, 2008, 10:02:26 am »

I used to have a perfectly working iPod classic 60Gb which I synced with iTunes.

I have MC 11.1 on this PC which I've been using for years but never connected my iPod to it. I'd like to uninstall iTunes so I thought I'd see if MC 11.1 could do the syncing. And yes, it did, much better than iTunes.

However when I ejected the iPod from MC I found that the menus were empty. And when I connect it to iTunes, iTunes says it can't read it.

Where do I go from here?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: New user: iPod classic synced OK but menus are now empty
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2008, 10:25:46 am »

You will need to use Media Center 13 for support of the newest iPods.  Please note that the touch and phone are not supported, but other iPods are.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

mikebarnes

• Recent member
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2008, 12:10:21 pm »

You will need to use Media Center 13 for support of the newest iPods.  Please note that the touch and phone are not supported, but other iPods are.

Thanks but it isn't one of the newest iPods by any stretch of the imagination. Everything works fine in MC, I can play songs etc, it's when I eject it from MC that the problems start.

zxsix

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2008, 02:46:27 pm »

It sounds like the database index on the ipod didn't finish updating or isn't in a correct format.
Prior to attempting to sync the device, did you use the 'initialize ipod' function in MC?
Did the sync progress finish completely and offer the eject and close buttons?
Did you use the eject button before disconnecting the ipod from the sync cable?

If you answered no to any of these, then I'd probably suggest that you start over with initializing the device with MC.
This will make sure that the format of the database on the ipod is in the specific format and version that MC is expecting.
Note this will also erase all music on the ipod.
Then after it's initialized, try a sync again, making sure to eject it properly before disconnecting.

Magicland

• World Citizen
  • Gabba Gabba Hey!
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2008, 11:19:49 pm »

Okay, maybe it's just me, but where can this "initialize ipod" feature be found in MC? I'm using 12 at the moment. I just picked up a used ipod video (30 gig) because it seems to be the only thing my car's kenwood deck will allow random playing from via USB (otherwise I wouldn't have one in the house). I don't have itunes installed (and would like to keep it that way, because I don't want all their viral programs fouling up my computer).

I've tried copying some video files (a few short music videos and a full-length movie) using MC, but they won't play on the ipod (in fact, if you try and play them, it locks up and requires a reset), attempting to convert them to "ipod native", whatever that is.

So far, I can't for the life of me understand why people with a choice buy these things...

Magicland

• World Citizen
  • Gabba Gabba Hey!
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2008, 09:11:20 am »

Funny, I wasn't having this problem, but now I am. I had a 5.5G video ipod, which synced just fine, with the exception that the ipod wouldn't play video (apparently one of the "advantages" of the latest v1.3 firmware, though its just a problem on some video ipods, not all, but since they're out of warranty, apple's doing nothing to acknowledge, let alone fix the problem they created). Replaced that with a 5G video ipod with the earlier 1.2.1 firmware. Plays videos just fine, but MC12 (and 13) think it's an ipod nano, and after syncing, all the menus on the ipod are empty. The files are there, and show up if I load itunes. Syncing anything in itunes seems to fix the problem, but I shouldn't need to run itunes at all, let alone to finish work that MC should do (and at least on the other ipod, did).
Pages: [1]   Go Up