INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Deleting video files does not delete thumbnail image files  (Read 1066 times)

SeaDrive

• World Citizen
Deleting video files does not delete thumbnail image files
« on: November 26, 2008, 08:24:00 am »

In an earlier version the importing of thumbnail image filenames was corrected. This works great now. Thanks.

Yesterday I noticed that I now have dozens of images on my hard disk that were previously used as thumbnail images. I use my HD-PVR to record TV shows and then import them into MC13 to watch. I also import the thumbnail information as mentioned in an earlier thread. Once I watch the show I usually delete it from the library to save disk space. When deleting the video I always choose the option to remove from library and disk and bypass the recycle bin (option 3) I would have assumed that deleting the video via MC would also delete the associated thumbnail image from the disk. Should this JPG be deleted along with the file or is it kept for a reason? The JPG filename is assigned by MC as VIDEO - {filename}.JPG so there shouldn't be a reason that it would be shared with another video file.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Deleting video files does not delete thumbnail image files
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2008, 10:16:28 am »

Curently deleting a file does not alter the associated cover art.

The reason is that the art may be shared by other files.

Perhaps a checkbox on the delete box would be good?
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

SeaDrive

• World Citizen
Re: Deleting video files does not delete thumbnail image files
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2008, 11:27:09 am »

I always thought that creating a separate thumbnail file for each video file may be a bit much. For example, I may regularly record Criminal Minds. In my Television\Criminal Minds folder I have a JPG of the show's advertising poster or art named 'Criminal Minds.JPG' When I assign the image 'Criminal Minds.jpg' from file to my 'Criminal Minds-Some Great Episode Name.mpg' it automatically creates a new file named 'Video - Criminal Minds-Some Great Episode Name.jpg'. Why bother? If I assign an image from a specific file why not just use that file? Under this situation I could understand that the image file may be shared but since a unique image file is generated for each video it shouldn't be shared. Plus there are alot of unnecessary files floating around.
Pages: [1]   Go Up