INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New "Checkbox" Keyword UI  (Read 11554 times)

Peter Engrav

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
New "Checkbox" Keyword UI
« on: November 29, 2008, 12:15:12 am »

So I'm a fan of the new "checkbox" keyword UI. Except for one thing. I have a number of Podcasts that arrive with 20 keywords or so (semi-random) per episode. I need to clear them all out (they aren't my limited set of keywords). But it's remarkably tedious to erase all those keywords - if you multi-select many tracks and then try to edit the keyword up in the "string" field at the top (where it says "[Various]") you can't.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: New "Checkbox" Keyword UI
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2008, 06:55:18 pm »

It's not universal love:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=49423.msg338370;topicseen#msg338370

Editing is disabled when it shows [Varies], but one solution would be to allow typing (that would change all) in this case.  The fear is that it could lead to inadvertant data changes.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Peter Engrav

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
Re: New "Checkbox" Keyword UI
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2009, 01:08:40 pm »

Seems as though perhaps use of keywords is bimodal. Some keywords are "standard" across the collection (Classical, Fiction) (suitable for filtering) and a (short) pick list (both for setting and filtering) is correct. Others are more "tags" in the tag cloud sense where they're a semi-random list of words attached to an item to help enable free-text search. The latter sort are a disaster in a pick list. Maybe there needs to be a global list of "standard keywords" that go in the list but not every keyword is "standard"?
Pages: [1]   Go Up