INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Crashes  (Read 1272 times)

marko

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Crashes
« on: December 01, 2008, 01:18:44 pm »

Logs were no good, but thought you might like to hear anyway:

One side effect of my recent hard drive drama is that the 'date modified' on all of my image files, just over 20,000, were changed when restored back to their original location.
MC, as expected, went into overdrive, updating for external changes...

It crashed a half dozen times or more during this period...

MC was doing nothing else at the time, though I did have an image view loaded, in smallest thumb mode, tree and panes hidden, scrolling slowly through to try and get the thumbs all built asap.

I'm not intending to be repeating that test any time soon, but figured you might like to know anyways!

I'm off to Manchester for a few days now, so normal beta reports will resume when I get back.

-marko

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Crashes
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2008, 01:36:22 pm »

Logs were no good, but thought you might like to hear anyway:

One side effect of my recent hard drive drama is that the 'date modified' on all of my image files, just over 20,000, were changed when restored back to their original location.
MC, as expected, went into overdrive, updating for external changes...

It crashed a half dozen times or more during this period...

MC was doing nothing else at the time, though I did have an image view loaded, in smallest thumb mode, tree and panes hidden, scrolling slowly through to try and get the thumbs all built asap.

Could be related to the unstable machine you have at the moment.

marko

• MC Beta Team
Crashes
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2008, 02:07:21 pm »

I actually posted that in the wrong place.. DOH!
anyhoo, now that it's here:

Could be related to the unstable machine you have at the moment.
Could be, but I don't think so...
Uptime is now getting on for eight and a half hours and the system itself has not flinched. I know all the one liners about MC pushing systems to the limit, exposing flaws no other software does, but I do not believe that's the case here.
The system logs are clean, the temps are all good, and as far as I can ascertain at this early stage, I'm looking at a knackered SATA port on the motherboard. I've got another four to choose from, and so far, so good...

-marko.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Crashes
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2008, 02:11:33 pm »

Can you get an MC log from a crash?

marko

• MC Beta Team
Re: Crashes
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2008, 03:03:37 pm »

As you asked, I'll try, but I won't be able to do so untill I get back from Manchester.

The reason I said the logs were no good was because they were often well over a megabyte big, and when the windows popup came telling me that "Media Center has encountered a problem and needs to close", MC continued to build thumbs quite happily until I clicked OK on the windows message.

Then, when I looked at the logs, the "unhandled exception: program crashing" lines were buried away in the middle of reams of thumbnailing chatter.
For the record, it crashed on a different file each time. I had been hoping it would pinpoint a single file that was causing a problem, but if only things could be that simple!!

Also, there was nothing obviously untoward around and about the crashing lines. the thumbnailing chatter repeating normally for each file, then the two crash lines would appear, and the thumbnailing continues, until I OK the windows message, at which point, the log ends abruptly.

Let me know if that's enough info to go on, or do you think that a logfile might be more help?

-marko
Pages: [1]   Go Up