INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: .MJP File  (Read 8638 times)

qwietstorm

.MJP File
« on: December 02, 2008, 10:09:59 am »

Hello,

I've searched around and found no results on this topic...but does anyone know if J River Media Center 12 or 13 is capable of playing a .mjp file?

An .mjp is a motion JPEG video format that is mostly used by LG cell phones. If J River 12 or 13 will not play these files, anyone know of a program that will?

Thanks in advance.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
Re: .MJP File
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2008, 04:46:03 am »

I think there are DirectShow filters that can decode motion jpeg files. Actually, the FFDShow video decoder filters in the CCCP package might be able to do that. You could follow the instructions in the DirectShow playback guide and install CCCP if you have not already installed it. Also QuickTime might be able to play motion jpeg files (to use QuickTime decoding you would need to have Apple's QuickTime player installed.)

It is possible that files with the .mjp filename extension are not recognized as importable video files. As a test you could try to change the filename extension to .avi (after installing CCCP) or .mov (for testing QuickTime). If that works maybe JRiver could add the .mjp extension to the supported extensions in MC13.

In addition, you could provide a small sample file. Record a few seconds of video, upload it to a web site and post the link here. If you don't already have a suitable website you can use the free www.rapidshare.com or www.megaupload.com services (for instance).
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2008, 06:42:49 am »

It is possible that files with the .mjp filename extension are not recognized as importable video files. As a test you could try to change the filename extension to .avi (after installing CCCP) or .mov (for testing QuickTime). If that works maybe JRiver could add the .mjp extension to the supported extensions in MC13.
mjp is Media Center's package install format. 

qwietstorm

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2008, 06:53:04 am »

Thanks guys. So basically you're saying as is, it will NOT play .mjp files?

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2008, 07:35:37 am »

The .mjp extension could be a problem with MC's shell integration because MC would try to start its package installer, which is used for downloading and installing add-ons.

This does not mean that the file format itself could not be played. You might just need to rename the file extension. Did you try what I suggested and can you provide a sample file?

Perhaps the bit different .mjpg extension could be added to the filename extensions list. It appears to be a commonly used extension for motion jpeg files.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

qwietstorm

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2008, 07:49:33 am »

I tried renaming the file extension with no luck. Here is the link to the sample file.

http://rapidshare.com/files/169838913/104kw_movie.mjp.html

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2008, 08:17:02 am »

I tried to play the sample file with various players (and codecs), but it was not detected as a playable video file. Does LG provide any information about the file format and how the files can be used outside the phone device?
Pages: [1]   Go Up