INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Increased equalizer slider frequencies  (Read 2366 times)

Mijknarf

Increased equalizer slider frequencies
« on: November 01, 2008, 05:13:45 am »

Hi everyone, first post here, I looked in FAQ and did a search but could not find an answer...

I use the EQ in Media Jukebox to smooth the sound coming from my speakers.  The EQ in Jukebox only has sliders for 10 frequencies, I'd like to have a greater selection of frequencies to achieve the sound I want.  So here's my questions:
1.  Is there a plug in available to get this?
2.  Does JR Media Center offer a better EQ than JR Jukebox?
3.  Some other option?

Thanks to all in advance.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Increased equalizer slider frequencies
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2008, 07:22:16 am »

Welcome to Interact.  I don't think there is anything better in MJ or MC.  I don't have any suggestions.  Maybe someone else will.

If you're interested in higher quality, you could explore lossless options (APE, FLAC, WM lossless), ASIO or WASAPI output, and connections to amplifiers.

Our wiki has more on some of those.  Link above.  Use the Main Index there.

Mijknarf

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2008, 08:12:16 am »

Thanks Jim.  I rip all my CDs to FLAC and I output them to my USB DAC via ASIO in XP, so I'm getting pretty high quality.  I just want to have more control of my sound.    I'll wait and see if anyone elso may be able to advise. 

bunglemebaby

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2008, 11:32:48 am »

In general the music listening market has very little use/desire for more than 10 bands of EQ, so I would guess that you'll have trouble finding something with significantly more bands (say above 20 sliders/bands). Most EQs with 20 or more bands are aimed at audio mastering, which is (for the sake of keeping this conversation simple and on point) part of the music recording process.

So what you probably want to look for is a mastering/recording high-band EQ, or a parametric EQ (sort of like an infinite band EQ) that you can hook to your audio output (similar to how the SRS plugini that's on the JRiver plugin page). Companies that make VST plugins might be a place to start looking.

Sorry I couldn't be of any more help, but I'm like the majority of people when it comes to my media players. I like to set my EQ to how I generally like it and forget about it. Anything more accurate than a 10-band EQ and there's not much point unless you're adjusting it for every new song or album that comes on. I suppose that could be exactly what you're doing, especially if you're DJing or something. Anyway, I'm rambling now...

-JB

Mijknarf

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2008, 02:16:22 pm »

Thnaks Bungle.  I have not been back here for a while, sorry for the late reply.  I want to stay away from anymore hardware and IC connections in my system.  I'm using the EQ to fine tune the sound of my playback because I removed all the filters components from my single driver speakers.  My speaker's binding posts are wired directly to my speaker's drivers, no resistors, capacitors or coils between.  I currently adjust the bands no more than +/-3dB by use of an SPL meter on a range of test tones.  The EQ in JRiver is OK, I was just wanting a bit more control.  Apparently, I have to accept what is offered or move on to Foobar which has a finer control on their EQ.  The ease of use of JRiver is hard to pull away from.
Pages: [1]   Go Up