INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: IPOD - songs in alphabetical order  (Read 8222 times)

SM

• Recent member
IPOD - songs in alphabetical order
« on: December 05, 2008, 12:34:20 pm »

How do i make sure songs in the ipod under a given artist play in alphabetical order. I tried syncing from MJ12 by sorting the songs in alphabetical order in the jukebox. The ipod syncs allright but the songs in the ipod do not appear in alphabetical order. pl advise. Thanks.

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: IPOD - songs in alphabetical order
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2008, 04:55:07 pm »

How do i make sure songs in the ipod under a given artist play in alphabetical order. I tried syncing from MJ12 by sorting the songs in alphabetical order in the jukebox. The ipod syncs allright but the songs in the ipod do not appear in alphabetical order. pl advise. Thanks.

I "think" that the iPod's default browsing categories (genre, artist, album, etc.) will always sort by track number.  You can create smartlists that will sort any way you want, but you lose the ability to "drill down" into your song list, i.e. you can no longer select a genre, then an artist, then an album, etc.  A smartlist/playlist is just a single list of songs that play in whatever order you set them up to play.  Is this what you're trying to achieve -- i.e. a list of ALL your songs that play alphabetically?

If so, create a "smartlist" in MJ (can MJ do this?  I know that MC can) and for the sort option make it sort alphabetically by song name.  Verify in MJ that it sorts the way you want it -- it will be exactly the same on the iPod.  Name it something like "All Songs Alphabetically."  When you sync, make sure to check this Playlist to be synced.  After the sync, go to "Playlists" on the iPod and select this list.  It will start with the first song alphabetically and proceed through your entire selection in this manner.

If this is not what you're trying to achieve, please give some more details on what you're after.

Larry

The only way I can think of to get songs to sort differently would be to sort them in MJ the way you want them, then use the "fill track numbers from list order" option to re-number the tracks in this order.

SM

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2009, 11:15:09 am »

Thanks very much, the list order in MJ did it. Appreciate your help.

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2009, 11:47:31 pm »

Thanks very much, the list order in MJ did it. Appreciate your help.

No problem -- I'm glad that the suggestion worked for you.

Larry
Pages: [1]   Go Up