INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC as frontend with touchscreen?  (Read 5605 times)

fidelio

• Recent member
  • Change this by choosing profile
MC as frontend with touchscreen?
« on: December 07, 2008, 07:43:22 pm »

Hi,

After years of enjoying MC for myself, time has come to win my wife's heart to also use this wonderful software....BUT: she is a classics fan, and mostly listens in the living room (no need for an Ipod).
as alternative to an ipod touch (with xptunes), I am considering to permanently install a big 19'' touchscreen (wall mounted or in shelf),  in order to finally raise the WAF of MC for my wife.

WHat I have already reached:
PC running XP with almost instant on / shutdown-to-standby times, nicely hidden in a HTPC case
connected directly to the TV / receiver / monitor.

As said, I would like to install a touchscreen instead of the normal monitor.
See pict. how my wife would like to browse through the classical music gallery.

http://www.pix01.com/eW@0FYM

Now my questions:
a) is it possible to add some of my custom library views with links on the upper right corner, next to the links for Google, Images, etc.
This leads to the question, wouldn't it be great to have configurable elements from the library tree visible in this link bar on the top? (e.g. Playing now, Smartlists, Playlists)  Similar to the bookmark concept of Internet browsers?
b) would it be possible to make these links more touch-friendly?
c) any other thought to make this appeal even more user friendly to my wife?

I am afraid that xptunes from Markus will in the short- and midterm not have this requested functionality.

Rainer

MrHaugen

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: MC as frontend with touchscreen?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2008, 04:40:35 am »

Why can't you use Theater View for this?
It's alot more touch friendly than standard view.
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

fidelio

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2008, 06:27:28 am »

To my understanding Theater View does not offer a navigation via custom views, as I described. Or did I miss sth. here?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2008, 06:31:03 am »

You can change some views under Tools/Options/Theater View, then Items to Show/Edit.

fidelio

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2008, 02:20:37 pm »

Wow,

I thought theater view would NOT be good for music.

Now I have learned sth new. Even though it took a while to re-enter my views also in theater mode.

THANKS!

KingDoughnut

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2008, 08:20:37 pm »

Pardon my French but WTH is sth view??

mlagase

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2008, 08:25:23 pm »

possibly short for "something"?

fidelio

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2008, 08:08:56 am »

Yes I meant "something".
Pardon je suis Allemand, so I should not use unknown abbreviations...

Tonight I will order my touchscreen monitor.

mabes

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2008, 01:07:34 pm »

http://www.pix01.com/eW@0FYM

Now my questions:
a) is it possible to add some of my custom library views with links on the upper right corner, next to the links for Google, Images, etc.
This leads to the question, wouldn't it be great to have configurable elements from the library tree visible in this link bar on the top? (e.g. Playing now, Smartlists, Playlists)  Similar to the bookmark concept of Internet browsers?

I would love the ability to access the library tree accessible from a drop down list. I don't like or use Theatre View and I like to keep the tree collapsed whenever possible, much more pleasing aesthetically. I usually browse with screen similiar to the screenshot. To be able to click and get a dropdown list of the tree would be fantastic.

Messiahs

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2008, 02:45:17 pm »

Hi Rainer,

"I am afraid that xptunes from Markus will in the short- and midterm not have this requested functionality."
What's your requested functionalitys ? and do you know the black & white skin (it's a good choice for touchscreen users)?

edit:
do you mean:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=43402.msg339126#msg339126

regards,
Markus

imugli

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2008, 04:07:10 pm »

I would love the ability to access the library tree accessible from a drop down list. I don't like or use Theatre View and I like to keep the tree collapsed whenever possible, much more pleasing aesthetically. I usually browse with screen similiar to the screenshot. To be able to click and get a dropdown list of the tree would be fantastic.

I don't know if you can do this or not, but I know you can customise the bottom ToolBar by Right Clicking on it. Perhaps try that and see if you can integrate the options you want there.

fidelio

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2008, 06:51:01 am »

@Markus,

your reference/link to my other post is correct.

For selecting music to play, I love to hierarchically browse through my music collection via cover arts which are presented in a compact way (as tiles), just by clicking on one tile, I go down one level. see also my screen shot (my first post in this topic).
IN my opinion this is much better than scanning through a long list of text entries, even though with Ipod touch this gets very fast.

IN case of classical music, my logical hierarchy is: composer -> work -> album
In this way, I easily can see which different recordings I got for e.g. Weihnachtsoratorium, and can choose which one to listen to today.
By the way, I find it ridiculous that industry has not set any standard here, and every single customer has to find a way how to organize (tag) his classical music.

Similarly for non-classical music, I also prefer to navigate via tiles (cover arts), e.g. Genre -> Artist -> Album.

In MC I have solved this via custom views - which I now learned are also supported in theater view. I especially like that the tiles (cover arts) are sorted not one below each other (list), but as square of tiles - in this way much more entries visually on one screen.

I have had a quick glance at xptunes and got the impression that tiles not in list but in square are not supported, and I additionally got the impression that custom views will not be supported either (which would be the basic requirement for a custom navigation such as mine for classical music).

I hope my explanation can be understood, otherwise I could post some more screenshots in order it gets clearer.

@mabes: I understand that you also prefer to browse/navigate via tiles, and that in this case the tree should be fully hidden, as in my screenshot. That'S why we need a different access to the different entry points (e.g. playing now, View for classical music, View by genre for non-classical).

@imugli and all:
Next week my touchscreen should arrive, let me share with you my further thoughts on this then. I will also check imugli's proposal then.
Probably there are some people out there who already have investigated this much more in detail?

Efjay

• World Citizen
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2008, 11:47:31 am »

I've never been a fan of MC Theater View. Something simple that mirrors Standard View (I really like my set-up with a mouse) with simple buttons (assignable by the user would be great) to do what is necessary..i.e: add to playing now, play now, etc...fewer tabs, and fewer menus within menus. Of course, I use MC exclusively for music so I don't know what, of any, differences movies or pictures would present.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2008, 01:16:43 pm »

Here's something simple, coming in a build soon.

More

fidelio

• Recent member
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2008, 01:33:39 pm »

Hmmmmm
looks promising that MC will improve in this area.

Now i get very curious!

Efjay

• World Citizen
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2008, 01:59:59 pm »

Here's something simple, coming in a build soon.

I look forward to trying it. Truth be told, I would love a front-end that is more juke-boxey in its presentation. Something similar to the presentation of Nordbeat.

imugli

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2008, 03:51:20 pm »

New Theater View skin looks great guys. Can't wait to try it out!

Just one question - Do we need the 'Theater View' Caption at the top of the home page? For mine it looks a tad amateur-ish.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2008, 07:00:12 pm »

galahad1974

• World Citizen
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2008, 09:10:18 pm »

I really like the new Beta Skin. The selection halo dosent follow the mouse currently, and i'm not sure why not, but i love what I see. Give me a bottom level info screen for each file and its close to perfect.

rick.ca

« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2008, 02:18:55 am »

I really like the new Beta Skin.

Ditto. Nice work!

imugli

• MC Beta Team

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2008, 07:05:20 am »

I really like the new Beta Skin. The selection halo dosent follow the mouse currently, and i'm not sure why not, but i love what I see. Give me a bottom level info screen for each file and its close to perfect.
Thanks.  It won't work well with a mouse for a few builds.  Try using the arrow keys on your keyboard, or try using with a remote.  Mouse support will be tweaked after changes slow down.

Efjay

• World Citizen
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2008, 10:54:28 am »

Thanks.  It won't work well with a mouse for a few builds.  Try using the arrow keys on your keyboard, or try using with a remote.  Mouse support will be tweaked after changes slow down.

In many ways, this explains my frustration with Theater View as a touchscreen interface. Ideally, a touchsecreen would be used without a mouse and keyboard. In essence, it would be the only control. For that reason, simple is better. MC is by far and away my favorite program for managing my music collection and for playback. A proper touchscreen interface and there would be no reason to ever look at the competition.

MrHaugen

« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2008, 11:03:10 am »

Oh man! This is nice indeed! I love you all!
I really really hoped something like this would be made. Even the irritation popup menus from selecting an Artist or Album etc. is gone. Fantastic! Even though I got a 80$ parking fine today, my weekend will be filled with joy. With a little polish here and there, this can finally be called a major new version imo.

What I think needs a bit more work now is the following:

- Better mouse control offcourse...
- Ability to switch View styles (lineup/thumbs/details), and that it's saved for each level please
- Away with the ugly background. Some sort of none intrusive and nice background similar to the PS3 background for instance

And something for us snow loving and tree hugging vikings :)
- Norwegian (Norsk) character set for search. Same as US alphabet + "æ", "ø" and "å" at the end.
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

galahad1974

• World Citizen
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2008, 11:12:34 am »

This wasnt a complaint, I figued it would be worked out eventually. After using for a whole night, i gotta say its fantastic, not just slick (which it is) but functional.

imugli

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2008, 07:44:04 pm »

In many ways, this explains my frustration with Theater View as a touchscreen interface. Ideally, a touchsecreen would be used without a mouse and keyboard. In essence, it would be the only control. For that reason, simple is better. MC is by far and away my favorite program for managing my music collection and for playback. A proper touchscreen interface and there would be no reason to ever look at the competition.

I haven't used MC on my touchscreen for quite some time, but from memory the other skins served me well when I was doing so - especially the skins where the options are initially down the centre of the screen... 

imugli

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2008, 07:50:27 pm »

It's here: ftp://ftp.jriver.com/pub/downloads/MC13/MediaCenter130090.exe

As an aside from this topic, this build is still VERY unstable when attempting to scan TV channels. Different topic, different time though.

mabes

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2008, 01:34:25 pm »

where does one obtain this new skin? And should I put it into the skin folder under application data or program files for JRiver?

Another couple questions,I thought I remembered a way to show the alphabet in TV. Also, any way in Playing Now to have the album cover at the top and files at the bottom?

I've just noticed that when you highlight a playlist in TV that it scrolls through the thumbnails. How cool would this be if this could happen when browsing all artist thumbnails?  Of course you would have to have the ability to turn this off and on. For parties this would be great.

)p(

« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2008, 03:27:29 pm »

where does one obtain this new skin? 

1. Download and install the above linked exe

2. Start mc 13

3. tools > options > theaterview > skin: (cliock on the down arrow) > select Obsidian Beta

4. View > theaterview

peter

rick.ca

« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2008, 03:29:27 pm »

any way in Playing Now to have the album cover at the top and files at the bottom?

Interesting question. That's how mine is, and I don't see any way of changing it. You could show a split view with two Playing Nows, and show the display only in the top, files only in the bottom.

fidelio

• Recent member
« Reply #30 on: December 13, 2008, 04:19:44 pm »

@imugli,

any special reason why you are not using MC on a touchscreen any longer?

mabes

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #31 on: December 13, 2008, 04:54:56 pm »

Interesting question. That's how mine is, and I don't see any way of changing it. You could show a split view with two Playing Nows, and show the display only in the top, files only in the bottom.

Mine's like that in Standard View but not Theater.

mabes

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #32 on: December 13, 2008, 05:39:10 pm »

http://www.picoodle.com/view.php?img=/3/12/13/f_untitledm_1f842d7.png&srv=img33

For playing now in TV I think a view like this would be nicer. Less empty space.

imugli

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #33 on: December 13, 2008, 05:44:46 pm »

@imugli,

any special reason why you are not using MC on a touchscreen any longer?

No special reason.

The only place I control my HTPC from is the lounge room, so I use a remote with a USBUIRT receiver and control it directly on the TV.

As far as WAF is concerned, I find it's the simple things that impress. My wife loves the fact that she can use a *normal* IR remote to scroll through our music/movies/photo's on the TV. The idea that she has to be within IR range for the remote doesn't bother her at all.

If I need to control it remotely, I do it with my PocketPC over wifi. The inbuilt JRiver server, whilst not pretty, does the job pretty well. If I handed it to my wife though, she'd give it back, walk into the lounge room and pick up the remote. That's just her.

Messiahs

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #34 on: December 14, 2008, 03:13:42 am »

The inbuilt JRiver server, whilst not pretty, does the job pretty well. If I handed it to my wife though, she'd give it back, walk into the lounge room and pick up the remote. That's just her.
Perhaps you should take a look at xpTunes:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=43402

regards,
Markus

imugli

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #35 on: December 14, 2008, 06:02:38 pm »

Perhaps you should take a look at xpTunes:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=43402

regards,
Markus

I actually have it :) I tried it on my Pocket Pc and from memory it didn't work on the resolution of my screen so I just left it. Perhaps I was doing something wrong?

In any case, my PDA is with me most of the time so the IR remote is just as easy for my wife.
Pages: [1]   Go Up