INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Theater view OSD  (Read 2082 times)

park

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I wish I had more to say!
Theater view OSD
« on: December 21, 2008, 12:24:19 pm »

I'd like to suggest that the OSD in big screen mode in Theater view also use a roller type interface. I was trying to explain to my brother how to scroll through the options (up/down) and then change them (left /right), and then thought "why should I need to?".

How about if the current option were it's current size, but above and below it were the previous and next options, half sized, and greyed out. Then we would know instictively that up/down changes the option. Pressing up/down would roll the options like the new rollers do in Obsidian theme for navigation.

And how about if at the left and right edge of the current option there were little left/right arrows to show us that the option could be changed.

Finally, all the options allow the user to scroll using left/right through the various choices, except subtitles. For subtitles we have to use up/down to go through the list, and then use left/right to "select" it. Could this be changed? It would be nice if the experience were more consistent.

imugli

• MC Beta Team
Re: Theater view OSD
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2008, 03:44:41 pm »

If I may, I'd also like to request an OSD for volume when I'm changing it - either as a number or bar where the current OSD is.

)p(

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2008, 12:06:04 am »

If I may, I'd also like to request an OSD for volume when I'm changing it - either as a number or bar where the current OSD is.

Oh and if I may jump in...an OSD visual feedback when I press one of the rating hotkeys.

peter

MrHaugen

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2008, 02:45:08 am »

Oh and if I may jump in...an OSD visual feedback when I press one of the rating hotkeys.
What the.... There are rating hotkeys? Where, how? Damn. I think I've asked for this several times :0

On to the topic again. I have also been thinking of the OSD the last times I've used the Theater View. It lacks a bit, compared to the new skins overall look and usability. I have to add that I have not used the new one much yet, but I don't think theres much difference in the old and new skin when it comes to the OSD. I'm also missing an easy way of seeing which position I'm in the movie or music when I use fast forward and backwards.
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

)p(

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2008, 03:03:32 am »

What the.... There are rating hotkeys? Where, how? **. I think I've asked for this several times :0

ctrl + shift + 0,1,2,3,4,5

We use them all the time in theaterview to rate our photo's and video's. Only thing missing is a visual confirmation. Occasionally we think we have pressed the remote button but it was not registered by mc, so a visual confirmation would be very nice :)

peter

raym

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2008, 03:18:55 am »

I'm also missing an easy way of seeing which position I'm in the movie or music when I use fast forward and backwards.

Yeah, I really think the OSD should remain on-screen for the duration of the seeking. This seems to be the case for DVD fast-forwards and rewinds but it should apply to all media seeks including TV timeshifting and all other video playback.

Thanks.
RKM Smart Home - www.rkmsmarthome.com.au
Z-Wave Home Automation

MrHaugen

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2008, 05:59:01 am »

ctrl + shift + 0,1,2,3,4,5

We use them all the time in theaterview to rate our photo's and video's. Only thing missing is a visual confirmation. Occasionally we think we have pressed the remote button but it was not registered by mc, so a visual confirmation would be very nice :)

peter
Thanks! This will be very hand when I get that programmable remote. Agree with the displaying of confirmation as you and others have pointed out. It would be good with on screen confirmation for several things really. Like volume, channel changes etc.
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

IlPadrino

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2008, 07:46:01 pm »

I think OSD, in general, is lacking...  when I'm playing back video, there's no easy way to see where I'm at in a visual context.  Sure, when I pause, I get a little bit of data (current and total time) but not much else.  Moving the transports in any sense should call up an on-screen data rich graphic.  Pressing keys should also do the same (rating is a great example).

Am I missing something, or isn't there an easy way to see where I'm at or what's been done?  I know the arrow keys can toggle through some information, but it should be 10-foot interface BIG.
Pages: [1]   Go Up