INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Instruction  (Read 3557 times)

maid

• Citizen of the Universe
Instruction
« on: December 11, 2008, 01:20:57 am »

Hello there,

Is there somewhere that I can read about JRiver setup?

I have asked a few questions but noone seems to know the answers.

Cheers
Intel Core i5-4590 CPU,  Haswell Gen2,  LGA1150, 3.3GHz 6 DDR3/ 2x PCIE3.0 x16 16gb Ram Windows 10 64 bit Asus Z97-DELUXE ATX Motherboard Nvidia GForce gtx1080 Receiver Onkyo TX-NR925 TV LG LF6300 55" smart TV

marko

• MC Beta Team
Re: Instruction
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2008, 01:42:53 am »

I had a quick look through your recent questions, and was unable to offer anything constructive for any of them. I did find this  though....

Hi,

Not meaning to be rude but does no answer mean that nobody knows what the problem is??

Cheers
And the answer to that, is yes.
Invariably, if you don't get a response, it means that nobody who has read the post knows what the solution is. Frustrating, but unfortunately, unavoidable.

When you ask about the JRiver 'setup', do you mean JRiver as a company, or do you mean the setup of the software?

-marko.

maid

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2008, 01:48:26 am »

Hi Marko,

Thank you for your reply.

Maybe in my questions I have not been specific enough.

I am trying to set up MC on my network using the library from my HTPC so that I can edit the library in my office.

The problem is I used the default library on my HTPC as I did not know where to put it.

I would now like to move it but I do not want to loose all my tags etc.

That is my first setup problem maybe if I can sort that one I could trouble you with a couple more.

Cheers
Intel Core i5-4590 CPU,  Haswell Gen2,  LGA1150, 3.3GHz 6 DDR3/ 2x PCIE3.0 x16 16gb Ram Windows 10 64 bit Asus Z97-DELUXE ATX Motherboard Nvidia GForce gtx1080 Receiver Onkyo TX-NR925 TV LG LF6300 55" smart TV

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2008, 02:56:10 am »

I would now like to move it but I do not want to loose all my tags etc.

"Go to: File > Library > Library Manager"

Click on the "Add" button and choose a name and location for your library. At the bottom of the dialogue, you will see "Clone from" options. Select the default library from the list to have MC make a copy of your default library in the location you have specified. All your tags etc. will be present in your new, cloned library.

-marko.

maid

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2008, 03:33:23 am »

Hello Marko,

thank you so much I will do that tomorrow.

The other ones are thumbnails If I have thumbnail veiw MC takes forever to display them making it impossible to play a movie until it nearly finishes this happens every time we start MC.

Am I supposed to tick build thumbnails? and cover art?

What is analyse audio?

Can I put my own thumbnail covers in MC and if so how?

Cheers Janet

imugli

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2008, 04:00:37 am »

Hi Janet,

I find it interesting that you're having trouble with thumbnails. Mine generally take no longer than a second or 2 to load, although my music library is only ~4600 files.

I haven't bothered with the thumbnail option so couldn't tell you about that. Sorry  :(

The 'Analyse Audio' tool automatically levels the playing volume of different songs. When you import songs to your library, invariably they will have been recorded at different volumes meaning when you're playing them back, they'll play back at different volumes. Analyse audio analyses this, and when used in conjunction with the Player > Playback Options > DSP Studio > Volume Levelling option, levels the volume of all of your songs so that they play back at the same volume. VERY useful feature.

Regarding the network problem, bear in mind that if you access a MC library file over a network, only the first user of that library file will be able to make changes to it. Any changes that any subsequent users make will not be saved. For instance, if you have your HTPC running all the time, this will be the initial user and any changes you make on the office PC won't be saved. Shut the HTPC down, re-open MC and the library file on your office PC and that will be the initial user and any changes WILL be saved.

If you are simply looking at SHARING the library file between 2 PCs

* Activate the Library Server in the Services & Plugins Section
* On your 'Client' PC (The Office One) go to File > Library > Search for Library Servers.

Perhaps if you are going to be doing most of your tagging on the Office PC it may be easier to have the HTPC connecting to the library server on your office PC, though this would mean the office PC needing to be running all the time.

With regards to the problems you are having and not getting any responses - am just wondering if you have searched the forums before posting? There might not be much in the JRMC13 forum, but perhaps try the JRMC12 forum as there'll be plenty more in there. Perhaps also try the Help function within MC and the wiki from the link above.

Rest assured everyone here is here to help and you have chosen an awesome piece of software to construct your HTPC with.

Good Luck!

MrHaugen

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2008, 05:07:46 pm »

The other ones are thumbnails If I have thumbnail veiw MC takes forever to display them making it impossible to play a movie until it nearly finishes this happens every time we start MC.
Thumbnails are being built in the background. If to much power is used on it you would not be able to do much else. Instead the process is slow and you can do whatever you want. If you look at thumbnails in one category, those tumbnails will be built prior to others. that is what you are looking at. Go to Tools - Options - Three and View - Thumbnails and hit build missing thumbnails. This process is much faster, and will build whatever's possible.

Am I supposed to tick build thumbnails? and cover art?
It depends. Build thumbnails is probably an option wich can be used while importing or auto importing media? Cover art can be downloaded is you're music or albums are missing cover art. There is also an option for uploading you're cover art when the cover art is changed. I don't download cover art my self. Just uploading mine. I'm to anal about letting anything automated choose the best cover art for my albums :)

Can I put my own thumbnail covers in MC and if so how?
Yes. Select you're tracs and select the action pane on the left. There you can find the cover art box. You can paste pictures or links to pictures in here. You can also right click the files and choose Cover Art tools. Like downloading cover art from the server manually.

I'll just add some things to imugli's post as well:
What is analyse audio?
It sets the Beat per minute (BPM field), intensity and replay gain. BPM can be used to make smartlists with music only with a given tempo. Intensity is intensity. This things is not allways reliable, but with a little adjustment they are good aditions none the less. I use much tempo mood based playlists my self.
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

maid

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2008, 05:35:23 pm »

Thank you this has helped me understand more.

I want to share the library from my HTPC.

My Files are on the HTPC I want to tag on my office PC I have tried to load the same library but nothing is happening

Do I still need to moniter the folders on the HTPC from my office PC??

Cheers

imugli

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2008, 07:53:25 pm »

Thank you this has helped me understand more.

I want to share the library from my HTPC.

My Files are on the HTPC I want to tag on my office PC I have tried to load the same library but nothing is happening

Do I still need to moniter the folders on the HTPC from my office PC??

Cheers

Yes, you'll need to monitor the folders on your HTPC.

OK Here goes  :)

On the HTPC, save the library file in a shared location (perhaps a shared folder) that BOTH PCs have access to, then make sure that the HTPC is USING that file (you may need to change the settings in File > Library.

Shut down your HTPC completely.

Go to the office PC and point MC to the library file in the shared location.

Make your changes.

Now shut down your office PC and restart your HTPC. Provided BOTH JRMCs are pointing to the same Library File and you are monitoring the folders, you should see your changes.

The problem with editing / saving from different PCs is that windows (not MC)  only allows one example of a file to be open as read/write, all subsequent open examples of that file are read only (think of when you open a spreadsheet at work that someone is already in - you get the message asking to be notified or to open it read only. Same thing minus the message).

Is it not viable to hook a 15" LCD up to the HTPC once a week and do your tagging there? May be easier...

maid

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2008, 08:48:54 pm »

Hello,

This sounds rather odd if I shut down the HTPC where the library is how can I point MC to that library when its off??

Cheers

imugli

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2008, 12:32:11 am »

Touche.  ;D

Shut down MC then.

maid

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2008, 01:17:39 am »

Hello,

I have done that and MC says

MC is unable to play any of the files please make sure that the path in media library points to the right location and that the files  are not bieng filtered by access control.

The library points to the library on my HTPC.

Cheers

imugli

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2008, 04:35:21 am »

OK, so you've cloned your library to the new location? Are you receiving the message on your htpc or just your office one?

maid

« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2008, 06:50:49 pm »

Hello there,

Just on the office machine.

Cheers

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2008, 07:39:14 pm »

I have done that and MC says

MC is unable to play any of the files please make sure that the path in media library points to the right location and that the files  are not bieng filtered by access control.

The library points to the library on my HTPC.

You would also need to move the media files to shared location and adjust the paths inside the library to point to that location. Both PCs would need to see identical file paths.

For instance:

If a filename is now:
C:\My Mysic\Artist X\Album Y\01 - name.mp3

You would need to share the "C:\My Music" folder and access it through the shared location on both PCs.

It might be a good idea to map a drive letter to the shared folder on both PCs. For example, if the Z: letter is free on both PCs the example filename could then be:
Z:\Artist X\Album Y\01 name.mp3

The "Rename. Move, & Copy Files" tool can change all C:\My Music\ paths in the library to Z:\ without touching the physical media files. (You would need to use the "Update database to point to new location (no file rename, move or copy)" option and only the "Find & Replace" part of the tool.)
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

imugli

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2008, 07:45:44 pm »

You would also need to move the media files to shared location and adjust the paths inside the library to point to that location. Both PC would need to see identical file paths.

For instance:

If a filename is now:
C:\My Mysic\Artist X\Album Y\01 - name.mp3

You would need to share the "C:\My Music" folder and access it through the shared location on both PCs.

It might be a good idea to map a drive letter to the shared folder on both PCs. For example, if the Z: letter is free on both PCs the example filename could then be:
Z:\Artist X\Album Y\01 name.mp3

The "Rename. Move, & Copy Files" tool can change all C:\My Music\ paths in the library to Z:\  without touching the physical media files. (You would need to use the "Update database to point new location (no file rename, move or copy)" option and only the "Find & Replace" part of the tool.)

I've been trying to put that as eloquently as you just did for 1/2 hour now :-)

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2008, 08:04:07 pm »

It wasn't easy for me either... My reply is really a very simplified version and doesn't cover all possible scenarios (like multiple base paths and/or drives). Don't hesitate if you have anything to add. I guess maid might need some additional advice.

Thanks for the quote, by the way. I noticed a couple of typos and fixed them.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

maid

« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2008, 02:26:21 am »

Wonderful fantastic we did it I finally got it working.

Thanks to all of you.

Now I start on the thumbnail pics.

How and where do I find covers for my movies and where do I put them?

Cheers

imugli

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2008, 05:43:24 am »

Ahh, the eternal question :-)

Myself, I use a program called DVDProfiler. It lets you enter the names of the movies n your collection and it downloads covers, info etc. I then use the "Get From File" option in the Cover Art Menu to select the correct cover art file for that movie. This software costs money, but I swear by it.

Others use a free software that does similar.

Alternatively, if you right click on the file, choose Links > IMDB, right click on the cover art image and select Copy. Then go back to the library, right click on the movie again, choose Cover Art > Paste from Clipboard that should do it too but with varying levels of image quality.

MC will give you the option of saving them to the cover art directory - select yes. This stops it having to look in x amount of directories for all your covers. If you haven't done this for your audio cover art, this may be why it's taking longer to populate the cover art when you start MC...

maid

« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2008, 02:33:43 am »

Hi again,

I have managed to edit the files in the library on the office PC and have them show up as done excellent.

Now I put a file into the HTPC folder but it does not show up in the office PC library. I think I have to have the office pc also moniter the folder for changes.

The problem is when I do that the office pc loads all the files from the folders as unassigned like duplicating??

Cheers

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2008, 05:09:32 am »

Wonderful fantastic we did it I finally got it working.

Thanks to all of you.

Now I start on the thumbnail pics.

How and where do I find covers for my movies and where do I put them?

Cheers
10/10 for perseverance. Glad you're out of the starting blocks and on your way. Enjoy the trip :)

-marko.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2008, 07:28:08 am »

And 12/10 for generous spirit to Marko, Mr Haugen, Alex B, and imugli.

I wish that the world worked as well as this forum, when it comes to helping people when they need it.

imugli

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2008, 04:43:14 pm »

Hi again,

I have managed to edit the files in the library on the office PC and have them show up as done excellent.

Now I put a file into the HTPC folder but it does not show up in the office PC library. I think I have to have the office pc also moniter the folder for changes.

The problem is when I do that the office pc loads all the files from the folders as unassigned like duplicating??

Cheers

It sounds like you're monitoring 2 sets of folders (?)- the one that the libary is pointed to (i.e the mapped one that the library stores all the tags for etc) and the "Local drive" on the HTPC, that the library ISN'T relevant to. Do you have the Office PC only monitoring the Mapped drive?

maid

« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2008, 10:35:15 pm »

Thank you everybody for all your help.

I think I am set now until we get an LCD.

Fab program.

Cheers

imugli

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2008, 12:14:50 am »

Glad to see that we got there in the end.

As you can see, it really is an awesome software package and it will serve you well.

If you have any further problems, let us know. We may not know the answers but we can at least wonder together  ;D

Pages: [1]   Go Up