INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can I move all folders and sub-folders to a new drive?  (Read 2547 times)

DBB

• Junior Woodchuck
Can I move all folders and sub-folders to a new drive?
« on: December 11, 2008, 06:09:18 am »

I want to move "My Music" from my C drive to my H drive. "My music" has many sub folders. How can I do this? Sorry I searched this and looked in help but could figure it out. Is there no simple move function that will update the path?

Lasse_Lus

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Can I move all folders and sub-folders to a new drive?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2008, 06:41:34 am »

you can use the (internal) tree and move the files or first copy the files to the new location then use the "rename, Move & copy files" function and use the "update database to point to new location"

but as always first backup then try with small number o files
MT5FR

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2008, 07:00:35 am »

Select a few files, right click, choose Library Tools, then Move, Copy.  Check your work before you continue.

DBB

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2008, 07:20:17 am »

Is there a way to do the main folder "My Music" and all subfolders without doing it file by file?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2008, 07:21:46 am »

If you try a few, I think you'll see what you can do.

If you want a subset of your files, do a search first.

DBB

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2008, 08:07:42 am »

I copied the "MY Music" in the C drive to the H drive successfully working in the "tree", avoiding going file by file. It seems to have worked fine since I did not have to go through sub folders, it all copied. The only problem is that the cover art did not follow. How do I get the cover art in?

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2008, 09:01:04 am »

I copied the "MY Music" in the C drive to the H drive successfully working in the "tree", avoiding going file by file. It seems to have worked fine since I did not have to go through sub folders, it all copied. The only problem is that the cover art did not follow. How do I get the cover art in?

Two questions:

Where are your cover art files now and how are they named?

Do you have a libary backup file in which the audio files are not moved yet? (I assume your library points to the new location now.)
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

DBB

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2008, 09:11:24 am »

I copied rather than moved them, so I have the cover art still in the original files. I want to delete the original files though. I have tried to import them into my library, but it doesn't seem to work on auto import. They appear without cover art. I can import a folder at a time.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2008, 09:25:41 am »

Change your cover art location in MC options, then select files, right click and do the Quick Find on cover art.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2008, 09:27:01 am »

I copied rather than moved them, so I have the cover art still in the original files. I want to delete them though. I have imported them in to my library. They appear without cover art.

You didn't actually answer my questions.

Are your cover art files external disk files or are they embedded in the file tags? If they are external files what does the "Image File" field say about the filename and path? What is your selected cover art location option? (Since you have your old files in the library they should still have correct cover art links.)

By the way, are you still using MC12? (This is the MC12 board.) MC13 has a new feature for moving cover art.

You could have let MC to update the library to point to the new location. It would have preserved all statistical information and static playlists (if you have any). The smartlists should work also with the newly imported files. Fortunately, you can still do that since you have the old files in the library, but you would need to do a few additional steps.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

DBB

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2008, 09:39:42 am »

Thanks for your help. I will try to sort it out. I will probably have more questions later.
Pages: [1]   Go Up