INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: RealPlayer 8.0 link  (Read 7249 times)

JimH

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Miller drives a tall-masted tractor on the ocean
RealPlayer 8.0 link
« on: June 20, 2002, 05:18:50 am »

If you're having trouble playing some formats of real audio, you can download RealPlayer 8.0.  It's here:

http://proforma.real.com/real/player/blackjack.html

After installing, run RealPlayer, do preferences, and change the StartCenter settings.  You don't need Startcenter and it can cause problems.
Jim Hillegass
JRiver Media Center / Media Jukebox

zak326

• Recent member
  • consultant
RE:RealPlayer 8.0 link
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2002, 09:24:00 am »

I never got a chance to adjust anything when IO downloade real player for interac tion with the Media JB. so now every so often it pops up in mysystem section of my task bar, startcenter ruins whenever it wants to and the only way I ould sto[p it was toi uninstall real player  .  Any ideas?

JimH

• Miller drives a tall-masted tractor on the ocean
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2002, 09:31:36 am »

You can (and should) deactivate active startcenter under preferences/start center.
Jim Hillegass
JRiver Media Center / Media Jukebox

zevele1

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2002, 09:36:32 am »

Not sure if RealPlayer or RealJukebox.
But one of them,even after you deleted Start Center,try another time to make you to open Start Center.

Not on the fly,but one day when you use it.You have to reset it from preferences again

you can as well delete any Real stuff to auto-start from inside Windows,Start Up setting.

This is 100% effective

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2002, 09:50:35 am »

Such is the evil that is a Real product.

They should just rename their suite of products to Real SystemHijacking and get it over with.

zak326

• Recent member
  • consultant
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2002, 07:36:07 am »

The weirdest thing happened on my real player 8|PLS| instll. I installed it after MJ and it gave me no options at all. whenever I try to pull it up it opens then closes. I tried to change the startcenter as  the preferencesin CXP show up as an applet in the windows  Control paanel, but there is  not startcenter option.  Also it opens on its own sometimes. I fiunally had to uninstall it  Given that I finally found a converter to convert rm and ram files to avi or mp3, I'm geting rid of it entireely. Have you heard of anyone else having this kind of problenm? []

zevele1

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2002, 07:45:33 am »

As a rule,if you do a clean install,better to install MJ after installing all music related softwares and browsers you have to install.
Right Real is hell.The corporate i mean.The softwares not bad.

RealJukebox was the best 'mister average' jukebox.And when i was on a 56kps connection RealPlayer was a good friend to listen to music.

Most of the time ,RealPlayer free |PLS| behaves well on my computer.But it  took me hours and hours-really- to set all as i want.
But look like you cannot set MJ to opens 100% of the Real files

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: RealPlayer 8.0 link
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2002, 11:56:01 am »

bump

Jolyon_Wagg

• nothing more to say...
More RealPlayer 8.0 problems
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2002, 09:28:16 am »

I installed RealPlayer 8 and disactivated the Start Center (as recommended).

I then tried opening a .rmx file in Media Jukebox... this crashed my MJ.  I got 2 error messages at the same time - one that said "Real Player: Some components are not available to provide playback of this presentation in your system".  When I clicked OK, this box dissapeared and another came on which said "Please wait while RealPlayer contacts RealNetwork" and finally one that says "Currently AutoUpdate has no plug-in available to play your selection".

At the same time there is another error box that says" Runtime error! Program: C:\... Media Jukeox.exe R6025 - pure virtual function call"

I tried reinstalling MJ but it doesn't make a difference.

Does anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks!

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2002, 09:38:01 am »

Try playing the file with the RealPlayer to see if it can get the update, but don't let it update the player.

Jolyon_Wagg

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2002, 09:43:43 am »

Thanks for the suggestion...

I just tried that and unfortunately RealPlayer 8.0 doesn't seem to support the .rmx format - I got the same error message ("additional software needed to play the file.... plug-in not found").  I guess Real's not supporting that format in their older Players (it does work with RealOne, though).  

I guess I'll just have to play those files from RealOne (which I detest) instead of Media Jukebox (which is terrific).     :(

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2002, 03:09:50 pm »

bumping to the top

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2002, 12:33:16 pm »

bumping again

LarryJoe

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2002, 01:12:05 am »

I wish there was/could be an MJ input plugin for RM files.  I refuse to install anything by Real Networks because of the bloat and spyware.  I am sure this is not do-able because of licensing issues.

I haven't played a Real Media file in over two years and have not missed it one bit.  Mostly because 90% of the web sites support both WM and RM formats.

Any chance for this?

Raistlin2000

• World Citizen
  • cross-fade-mani ac
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2003, 04:52:32 am »

Well, there is a so called Real Player Alternative, installing only some "patched" filters of Real & enables Real Playback with Media Player Classic (by gabest).

Unfortunately, this doesn't allow MC to play Real, seems that MC looks for some other files, perhaps JimH or someone else can tell me which these are, so I'll try to adapt this Real Alternative & pack it into a MC-installer-pack. (MJP)

By the way, there is also a Quicktime-Alternative, working 100% with MC :)

Raist

Raistlin2000

• World Citizen
  • cross-fade-mani ac
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2003, 08:51:36 am »

oh, just noticed that this one is posted in MJ8 board, perhaps it could be moved to mc9-board, since it's still quite actual.

Raist

KingDodo

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
Re:RealPlayer 8.0 link
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2004, 09:29:41 pm »

Hi,

I have asked support for RealAlternative with MC. It could be a great idea to make a new pack of RealAlternative that make MC support real player files with it.
French peoples, visit my portal :
Francophones, visitez mon portail:
www.kingdodo.com

AsparaGus

• Recent member
  • I'm AsparaGus and you're not
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2006, 08:36:42 am »

Yeah Media Jukebox 8 worked with RealAlternative (and still does) - I'd love to get the new v 11 but it insists on updating the BlackJack Real Media to everytime it stumbles on a real media file (or it refuses to play anything.)

I've grown really fond of Media Center and the new v 11 looks much improved, but that Real Media is a stumbling block.

Tab

• World Citizen
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2006, 01:38:27 pm »

I've tried a few other players and theres only one I'd really avoid: Real player. If you play with it I'd suggest using Total Uninstall 2 so you can get rid of its tentacles afterwards. (TU2 allows selective removal, I dont think TU3 does, so you'd want TU2.)

Tab
Pages: [1]   Go Up